Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D fish eyes
I purchased some 3D fish eyes, Online, and I think they are going to work great (assuming they don't fall off too easily).  I glued them on, with Super Glue, so hopefully they stay on.

[Image: tube-eyes.jpg]
Looks good. I think UV resin would also work and has the added advantage of covering the edges of the eyes so they can't catch on anything.
(01-23-2024, 05:16 PM)stan55 Wrote: Looks good. I think UV resin would also work and has the added advantage of covering the edges of the eyes so they can't catch on anything.

I have never used UV resin before, but after reading about it it looks like an option that might work.  It would be nice if one could put the eyes on the tube and then apply the glue over the eyes.  It is a challenge to apply the glue to the tube and then attach the eye.
A good super glue will usually hold them on.  But I have found the stick on eyes to not work any better than those I paint on with plastic paint.  Plus, I can also paint on some different patterns on plain plastics with the plastic paint.

[Image: PLASTIC-PAINT.jpg]  [Image: MAGTAIL-PEARL.jpg] [Image: HOOKER.jpg]

Do the zinger zapper pucker suckers go for the kissy lips and avoid the hooks? lol  Really like the paint idea.  I haven't had as much luck with resin as I've had with CA. The problem in my resin experience is that the UV can only cure the part of the resin it can "see" so if the eyes aren't transparent I didn't have a good bond.
(01-25-2024, 01:01 AM)DanzTuna Wrote: Do the zinger zapper pucker suckers go for the kissy lips and avoid the hooks? lol  Really like the paint idea.  I haven't had as much luck with resin as I've had with CA. The problem in my resin experience is that the UV can only cure the part of the resin it can "see" so if the eyes aren't transparent I didn't have a good bond.

When you add eyes to your lures, it is not uncommon for some species (like macks) to hit them head first.  That's why I came up with my "double hooker" jig heads.  And if you really get into custom painting plastics...with paint that does not "bleed" like the dyes do...then you can get into the Spike It line of paints.  They also sell clear...for mixing with glitter or glow...and thinner to keep your paints useable longer.  The 4 oz. cans are spendy but allow for a lot more colors than the little bottles...and you can make some of your own custom color mixes.
[Image: DOUBLE-HOOKERS-UP-DOWN-2.jpg]  [Image: 4-OZ-CANS.jpg]

(01-25-2024, 02:45 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 01:01 AM)DanzTuna Wrote: Do the zinger zapper pucker suckers go for the kissy lips and avoid the hooks? lol  Really like the paint idea.  I haven't had as much luck with resin as I've had with CA. The problem in my resin experience is that the UV can only cure the part of the resin it can "see" so if the eyes aren't transparent I didn't have a good bond.

When you add eyes to your lures, it is not uncommon for some species (like macks) to hit them head first.  That's why I came up with my "double hooker" jig heads.  And if you really get into custom painting plastics...with paint that does not "bleed" like the dyes do...then you can get into the Spike It line of paints.  They also sell clear...for mixing with glitter or glow...and thinner to keep your paints useable longer.  The 4 oz. cans are spendy but allow for a lot more colors than the little bottles...and you can make some of your own custom color mixes.

How do you attach the front hook in the lead after modifying the mold? Put a bend in it?

How do you attach the front hook in the lead after modifying the mold? Put a bend in it?

I've tried the stick-on ones with poor results. They come off to easy. I also tried using clear fingernail polish over the stick-on and they worked a little better.
(02-03-2024, 05:58 PM)kentd71 Wrote: [quote pid="1152133" dateline="1706193957"]
[Image: DOUBLE-HOOKERS-UP-DOWN-2.jpg] 

[/quote]

There is no modification to the mold necessary if it is a "top pour" cavity.  All you have to do is get some ring eye spinner bait hooks...available in bronze or nickle.  If the ring eye is large enough, simply pull it up onto the jig hooks...as in the attached pic.  Then pour the lead carefully and trim off the sprue.

If the mold is shaped so that the lead pours in from an angle, you will need to use a hack saw blade or fine file to cut a groove out the top in which to fit the  spinner bait hook while pouring.  And then you can make either up facing or down facing second hooks.
[Image: 2-HOOK-HEAD.jpg]   [Image: SPEAR-POINT-MOLD.jpg] [Image: TUBE-JIG-MOLD.jpg]