Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How's Newton?
Drove by Newton this Saturday and saw probably 20+ people on the ice. Anyone been out there lately? Ice pretty solid? Any luck with catching? Am thinking of trying it either this week or the weekend, but it'd be our first time ice fishing this year and I always get a bit anxious about it.
(01-23-2024, 07:18 PM)Miles Fitzrobert Wrote: Drove by Newton this Saturday and saw probably 20+ people on the ice. Anyone been out there lately? Ice pretty solid? Any luck with catching? Am thinking of trying it either this week or the weekend, but it'd be our first time ice fishing this year and I always get a bit anxious about it.

Hey that is a good question, I drove by Saturday as well and seen the crowd and wondered how everyone was doing... One thing i noticed last night on Cutler, the ice has been seeming like it was about to disappear as the top is all melting out.  Well I stuck my hand down the hole and checked how much ice was there, and there must be close to 8" total and only 2" up top are slushy and bad.  So since the two ponds have had similar ice in the past few weeks, I'm claiming by similarity that it will probably be okay for you to give it a try. The south part of the lake had about 2" more ice than the arm that runs to the north, so check off the boat ramp and then judge accordingly... Fishing was slow two weeks ago, but I expect with that many fishing it, it must have improved or else it was the only ice fishing close by... If I get out there soon I'll let you know what I find... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-23-2024, 07:32 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 07:18 PM)Miles Fitzrobert Wrote: Drove by Newton this Saturday and saw probably 20+ people on the ice. Anyone been out there lately? Ice pretty solid? Any luck with catching? Am thinking of trying it either this week or the weekend, but it'd be our first time ice fishing this year and I always get a bit anxious about it.

Hey that is a good question, I drove by Saturday as well and seen the crowd and wondered how everyone was doing... One thing i noticed last night on Cutler, the ice has been seeming like it was about to disappear as the top is all melting out.  Well I stuck my hand down the hole and checked how much ice was there, and there must be close to 8" total and only 2" up top are slushy and bad.  So since the two ponds have had similar ice in the past few weeks, I'm claiming by similarity that it will probably be okay for you to give it a try. The south part of the lake had about 2" more ice than the arm that runs to the north, so check off the boat ramp and then judge accordingly... Fishing was slow two weeks ago, but I expect with that many fishing it, it must have improved or else it was the only ice fishing close by... If I get out there soon I'll let you know what I find... Later Jeff

Thanks! Went ahead and gave it a try yesterday for a bit. We were the only ones out there, thick fog, really peaceful. On the other hand, lots of icy slush that was semi-firm. The ice underneath was anywhere from 6" to 10", but it still wasn't very comforting as the top slush would hold us most of the time, then suddenly give out and we'd sink 6". Didn't get any bites, but we also didn't wander a lot.