Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Fishing Right now?
Question 
I've just gotten into fishing this last year, and have had a blast. I've so far been able to enjoy fishing close to home (Salt Lake Valley) via the Jordan River, Silver Lake up by Brighton, and various community ponds. After my first foray into ice fishing this year, (it was great! just a lot of work) I am looking to find some good old pond/river fishing, ESPECIALLY with the warm weather we've been having.

Any recommendations for ponds or spots in the valley? I've mostly fished trout and catfish in ponds and rivers. Looking to find somewhere the fish are hungry even in this cold season.
The Provo River can be amazing this time of year.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-25-2024, 01:12 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The Provo River can be amazing this time of year.

Looks beautiful! I see it’s a big fly fishing spot, and only allows lures. Any suggestions for fishing on spinning gear? Inline spinners/spoons?
Sent PM.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-25-2024, 02:26 AM)stevv Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 01:12 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The Provo River can be amazing this time of year.

Looks beautiful! I see it’s a big fly fishing spot, and only allows lures. Any suggestions for fishing on spinning gear? Inline spinners/spoons?

Small Rapala, any of the traditional inline spinners. Small jigs bounced through the pockets
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-25-2024, 02:26 AM)stevv Wrote:

I haven't really fished the Provo during winter very much. In warmer months I have good luck with panther martins and vibrax spinners. Black/gold/silver/white/red seem to be the collors that work best for me. Olive, black, and brown woolly buggers and marabou jigs can entice the browns. And trout magnets drifted under a bobber are hard to beat. The gold-ish color seems to do best for me.

During the winter, the first thing I would try is microjigs (maybe the mini magnet) under a bobber. I suspect the trout are less likely to chase down a spinner in January than they are in September.
(01-24-2024, 06:28 PM)stevv Wrote: I've just gotten into fishing this last year, and have had a blast. I've so far been able to enjoy fishing close to home (Salt Lake Valley) via the Jordan River, Silver Lake up by Brighton, and various community ponds. After my first foray into ice fishing this year, (it was great! just a lot of work) I am looking to find some good old pond/river fishing, ESPECIALLY with the warm weather we've been having.

Any recommendations for ponds or spots in the valley? I've mostly fished trout and catfish in ponds and rivers. Looking to find somewhere the fish are hungry even in this cold season.

PM sent.
(01-24-2024, 06:28 PM)stevv Wrote: I've just gotten into fishing this last year, and have had a blast. I've so far been able to enjoy fishing close to home (Salt Lake Valley) via the Jordan River, Silver Lake up by Brighton, and various community ponds. After my first foray into ice fishing this year, (it was great! just a lot of work) I am looking to find some good old pond/river fishing, ESPECIALLY with the warm weather we've been having.

Once the spring thaws take hold and lakes open up, you can also try a little hitchhiking onto a boat to get a good feel for down rigging fishing. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF