Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice conditions at Pineview and Rockport
Hoping to ice fish this Friday.  Looking for any reports on the ice conditions at Pineview or Rockport.  Haven't been out for a couple of weeks so have lost touch on how ice and fishing conditions have been.

Thanks for any information.
With the lack of reports on these two spots, the fishing is really awesome or really poor. Last week, my experience was really poor (at Pineview). Rockport had fishable ice last week (per reports) but with this warmer weather the past 3 days, I don’t know if you can trust those past conditions further than you could throw them.
Sad 
MWSCOTT, I agree with you on both accounts (hot fishing not reported), and questionable ice.  When I go on Friday, I am planning on kind of a reconnaissance trip to check ice safety before I bring son in law and my 3 yr old grandson out on Sat.  I would be alone on Friday and am a bit concerned on going out on potential sketchy ice alone, thus the inquiry of ice safety.

If anyone has a report on the ice conditions (after this warm spell), I sure would appreciate it!  I do not want to be a KSL news article!! 

Thanks!
From what I'm seeing where I have fished and trapped minnows and such and scouted the ice conditions are not getting better... yesterday I didn't see a sole on mantua which usually has people all week long this time of year... Hyrum had some folks early in the week, but as the week goes on they are fishing closer and closer to shore and last I seen were just barely off the ramp... I'm assuming that is due to crappy ice not fish location... when I pulled my minnow trap last night that pond was down to about 3" of ice left and the quality was pretty sketchy I wasn't sure if I'd make it back in without falling through... I did make it, but I was sure if I left the trap another night I wouldn't be able to retrieve it... I think it will be very day to day now on ice conditions.. There is a slight cool down at night for a couple days that might prolong the current fishable areas a few more days, but then it looks like a big warm up that will probably finish the ice until we get a real cool down again.. (This is for the low elevation typical ice fishing locations not strawberry and the gorge and Scofield) Don't know if you're into trout, but perhaps Strawberry may be a more safe option... I haven't heard a current slush report, but I guess it was pretty bad last week after the new snow... By now as cold as it usually is up there, it should be tightened back to fishable I'd think, but no first hand info... Good luck I sure hope you can have a fun trip... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
From a FaceBook report from fishing Pineview yesterday,

"Ice was great and weather was overcast at 30°F, with a light snowfall. Ice was 4 inches solid, clear with 8 inches of crust on top.
Walked in top of the crust and never broke through the top."
Thank you so much for the reports.  I don't do the face book thing, and it seems that is where many people have turned to posting rather than BFT.  If I end up going, I will give a report on the condition (providing I return!)   Sad
You should be good on Pineview in the Narrows. That spot doesn’t get as much sunlight and the nights are still getting to freezing or slightly below…just barely. Just be careful, check the ice condition when u get there, and I think you’d be fine. With current conditions, I take safety equipment too…just in case.

Looking forward to the report…when u get back. I might go Sat afternoon/evening and try to better my 2 fish evening from last week! ?
Drove by Echo, saw people fishing by the dam and on the south end.  Went to Rockport.  Saw people fishing by the dam, others across the lake by the State park side, several others fishing from the first bathroom.  I went to the area I usually fish.  Edges were a no-go.  Went back to the first bathroom, paid the fee and followed the tracks down.  Edges were broken up.  Used the log that someone put out, made it on the ice.  Followed the tracks out to the area the other guys were fishing.  2.5" of clear ice, 2" of bad ice.  Caught perch in 32 FOW.  Left at 10 a.m.  Broke through the edge on my way out on the log.  The ice is like late season ice.  If it stays the warm, we will be having a very short ice fishing season this year, unless you are willing to travel to the higher elevations!
Fished Pineview today and had no issues. Ice seemed to be at least 8" thick and there was a crust on top of that that I didn't break through. A little slush, but only an inch or so in a few places.
Maybe ice fish from a plane?
Never even tried that before.
(01-26-2024, 10:51 PM)Kent Wrote: Fished Pineview today and had no issues.  Ice seemed to be at least 8" thick and there was a crust on top of that that I didn't break through.  A little slush, but only an inch or so in a few places.

Great, thanks!
(01-27-2024, 12:01 AM)ReelMasta Wrote: Maybe ice fish from a plane?
Never even tried that before.

It works really well, even on thin ice. If the landing gear breaks through the wings give a lot of extra support. It's a little more expensive than a hovercraft or airboat but the advantage is that you get to fly to the lake.
Just watch out for the plane stuck in the ice!!!
(01-26-2024, 10:51 PM)Kent Wrote: Fished Pineview today and had no issues.  Ice seemed to be at least 8" thick and there was a crust on top of that that I didn't break through.  A little slush, but only an inch or so in a few places.

But did you CATCH anything?  No  point risking one's life if they aren't biting.
(01-27-2024, 04:03 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote:

But did you CATCH anything?  No  point risking one's life if they aren't biting.

We caught 11 perch and 23 crappie. Had I not messed up and fished the wrong places, during the prime early hours, we would have done much better.
(01-27-2024, 04:40 AM)Kent Wrote:
(01-27-2024, 04:03 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote:

We caught 11 perch and 23 crappie.  Had I not messed up and fished the wrong places, during the prime early hours, we would have done much better.
Thank you.  I had been up four times previously and done very poorly. I'll probably try in the morning.