Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter outboard work?
Is Lee's still the only place to get older outboards worked on?  
I've a older, 1984, Mercury 2 stroke Classic 500, 45 hp that I would like to have looked at.  It ran fine year before last, but I had some health issues that kept me down last year so it didn't get used and I would like to have it gone over because I plan to use it a lot this year on long trips away from home.
There is a guy in Fruitland that is always selling older "gone through" Mercury's that works on them, but Fruitland is even farther than Hyrum from me in Salt Lake City. I know Lee's used to be the place, but I know most of you have upgraded to newer motors and are probably not thinking about service as much now.
Anyone?
Lee's is the Mercury dealer, but I've actually liked working with Don's Marine in Smithfield Utah better myself. They actually respect your perspective and will answer questions without starting the clock to be paid... Sorry I had some feathers ruffled at Lee's when they treated me like I'd never seen an outboard before and didn't want to consider that I might know something... And when it came to answering a question over the phone, no way they could do that you need to bring it in... oh and it will be six weeks before we can look at it.... Anyway Don's has been really good to me, and on a simple fix they told me what to do over the phone to fix it, so I didn't have to take it to the shop. Great customer service, but I was asking about a Johnson Outboard and not a Mercury and I'm not sure if they work on the Mercuries... Just another spot you might call and talk to and maybe they can help you... This time of year would probably be a great time to get something done, they probably aren't as busy... Good luck... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks for the perspective. They seemed nice to me on the phone. Now is the time they told me. Short wait. Anyway. Thanks for the input, I'll give Don's a call.
(01-29-2024, 11:28 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for the perspective. They seemed nice to me on the phone. Now is the time they told me. Short wait. Anyway.  Thanks for the input, I'll give Don's a call.

You're welcome, might have just been the particular employee I ran into, but he didn't earn my business... Now the guy at Don's even though I hadn't planned on going there ended up changing my mind... Guess it shows how important customer service is... Good luck where ever you end up getting it taken care of... But I do think you picked a great time of year to do it... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Lees is THEE best in my opinion. I've never, ever had any negative experience with them. Lee is honest and very thorough. Im surprised to hear about Jeffs experience. Lee has answered many questions from me over the phone and saved me time and money by doing so. Ive had just the opposite experience with Dons. Quite honestly, Don was a jerk to put things mildly. However, ive heard his son has taken over now and is much better to deal with. I know from experience that Lee will work on old motors (i had a '57 -10hp Johnson) and every brand but Hondas since Honda doesn't release any service manuals except to Honda dealers. If it were me, I wouldnt hesitate with Lee since he is a Merc expert especially with older models like yours.
(01-25-2024, 04:11 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Is Lee's still the only place to get older outboards worked on?  
I've a older, 1984, Mercury 2 stroke Classic 500, 45 hp that I would like to have looked at.  It ran fine year before last, but I had some health issues that kept me down last year so it didn't get used and I would like to have it gone over because I plan to use it a lot this year on long trips away from home.
There is a guy in Fruitland that is always selling older "gone through" Mercury's that works on them, but Fruitland is even farther than Hyrum from me in Salt Lake City. I know Lee's used to be the place, but I know most of you have upgraded to newer motors and are probably not thinking about service as much now.
Anyone?

I used Danco last summer, great guy, good work and very affordable.
(01-30-2024, 09:35 PM)stlaf Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 04:11 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Is Lee's still the only place to get older outboards worked on?  
Anyone?

I used Danco last summer, great guy, good work and very affordable.

I had completely the opposite experience with Danco Marine and I would avoid him at all costs!
Isn't Fred's a Mercury dealer? My Tracker from Fred's has a Mercury.

If there's no huge hurry, I'll be sure to ask them at the boat show on Thursday and report back here.
Fred's is in fact a Mercury service dealership as is Rogers Performance Marine in North Sal Lake.  I had a belt break on my Merc 75 Optimax one Saturday morning while launching at Hyrum.  Went over to Lee's and he replaced the belt for me on the spot and did not charge me any labor fee.  I would call that excellent service.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I've had dependable service from Lee both for specific issues and general service.
There is a place that I recommend Not going to. Three trips  to shop for same problem. I came home with same problem, Minus several grand.  This was 10 years ago but the place still operates at 601 E 700 S, Clearfield, UT....Name omitted intentionally. My engine was a 200hp Johnson that wouldn't stay running
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(01-31-2024, 09:11 PM)BURLEY Wrote: There is a place that I recommend Not going to. Three trips  to shop for same problem. I came home with same problem, Minus several grand.  This was 10 years ago but the place still operates at 601 E 700 S, Clearfield, UT....Name omitted intentionally.    My engine was a 200hp Johnson that wouldn't stay running
I had to laugh when I looked up the address.  I would NOT recommend them either due to less than good service I got on a service job i took to them several years ago.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
So why do both of you refuse to mention Dicks Boat Shop at 601 E 700 S, Clearfield UT???? If they suck then call them out!! I hate when people beat around the bush! Just say it!
(02-01-2024, 12:45 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: So why do both of you refuse to mention Dicks Boat Shop at 601 E 700 S, Clearfield UT????  If they suck then call them out!!  I hate when people beat around the bush!  Just say it!

Maybe it was done to force you to put forth enough effort to look it up for yourself, if you were really interested. Which is just what I got you to do. So hate me if you must, but I'm smiling, and so is Bob.
Good fishing to all.   Hue