Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Good News Bad News
Me and my buddy fished Rockport this morning, the good news is we caught 86 perch with a 8-9” average, on 5” of ice. The bad news is you have to cross 8’ of rotten ice to get on and off. I went in up to my knees getting on and up to my thighs getting off. We accessed the ice at the third turn off with a pit toilet and headed north to the rock outcropping and got our best fish in 51’ of water. I caught them on a 1/32oz Gizzy bug under a 1/8oz Kastest master. I caught the first one on a meal worm and the rest on perch eyeballs.
[Image: IMG-1788.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1766.jpg]
(01-26-2024, 09:42 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Me and my buddy fished Rockport this morning, the good news is we caught 86 perch with a 8-9” average, on 5” of ice. The bad news is you have to cross 8’ of rotten ice to get on and off. I went in up to my knees getting on and up to my thighs getting off. We accessed the ice at the third turn off with a pit toilet and headed north to the rock outcropping and got our best fish in 51’ of water. I caught them on a 1/32oz Gizzy bug under a 1/8oz Kastest master. I caught the first one on a meal worm and the rest on perch eyeballs.
[Image: IMG-1788.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1766.jpg]
Hey thanks for the report. I hope the ice edges firm up to. And did you know that Maniac is back in business? You can get all the cutter bugs gazillas and gizzys you need for your next trip. PM
Thanks for the report.  I went out the same area and got wet coming off also!  I did well in 32 FOW.  

Great to learn that Maniac is back in business!  I bought as many of the vertigo jig heads and gazillia's that I could when they went out of business!  They are my favorite trout set up!
(01-27-2024, 04:57 AM)icerman Wrote: Thanks for the report.  I went out the same area and got wet coming off also!  I did well in 32 FOW.  

Great to learn that Maniac is back in business!  I bought as many of the vertigo jig heads and gazillia's that I could when they went out of business!  They are my favorite trout set up!

Yes I am so glad to see they are in business to they are the hottest jigs I've ever fished in fifty years. What is your favorite combo? Mine is an unpainted jig head with a natural color grub gazilla brown green or black.  Then with a glow virtego jig I like to paint red eyes with a black dot on them and fish glow colors green blue orange pink. I catch jumbo perch on these combinations. Of coure also all the trout you want to catch. PM