Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anr Echo report and a ice baptism at Rockport
Exclamation 
I was able to get out on the ice yesterday. I started my day off on the south end of Echo. I was hoping to find a walleye. I started at 8am and stayed until 1015.  No fish harmed. I had some lucky fish that just didn't want to stay hooked, rookies. I tried depths of 15 ft to 22. Ice felt pretty good, some areas not as good as others. I check my paths with my spud bar. I would mark fish on the vexilar that would come off bottom and at least look at my tikka minnow or they hit it. I left Echo and headed to Rockport to look for the perch. Some guys were loading up their gear and told me I wouldn't need my spud bar. So me, being foolish, left the spud bar in the car. I ventured out in front of the last vault toilet before the state park entrance. I tried a few areas that have been successful in the past. Ghost town, no fish marked. So I tried to get out to deeper depths. This is when the spud bar would have been very handy. I walked out 15 ft from my last hole drilled and went right through. I would guess I was 150 yards plus out from the vault toilet. I tossed my ION auger aside as I plunged into the nice and cold water. I just relaxed, got acclimated to the nice frigid water, and then proceeded to pull myself out with my ice piks. I am grateful for a floating ice suit and ice piks. I rolled off the bad area until it felt solid. I proceeded to crawl out to grab the auger, then back to solid ice and back to shore. The edge was horrible and should have listened to my gut instinct. My advice, stay off Rockport, unless you wanna take a dip. Well there is a first time for everything and now that had been checked off the list.
Gabe
(01-27-2024, 04:37 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I was able to get out on the ice yesterday. I started my day off on the south end of Echo. I was hoping to find a walleye. I started at 8am and stayed until 1015.  No fish harmed. I had some lucky fish that just didn't want to stay hooked, rookies. I tried depths of 15 ft to 22. Ice felt pretty good, some areas not as good as others. I check my paths with my spud bar. I would mark fish on the vexilar that would come off bottom and at least look at my tikka minnow or they hit it. I left Echo and headed to Rockport to look for the perch. Some guys were loading up their gear and told me I wouldn't need my spud bar. So me, being foolish, left the spud bar in the car. I ventured out in front of the last vault toilet before the state park entrance. I tried a few areas that have been successful in the past. Ghost town, no fish marked. So I tried to get out to deeper depths. This is when the spud bar would have been very handy. I walked out 15 ft from my last hole drilled and went right through. I would guess I was 150 yards plus out from the vault toilet. I tossed my ION auger aside as I plunged into the nice and cold water. I just relaxed, got acclimated to the nice frigid water, and then proceeded to pull myself out with my ice piks. I am grateful for a floating ice suit and ice piks. I rolled off the bad area until it felt solid. I proceeded to crawl out to grab the auger, then back to solid ice and back to shore. The edge was horrible and should have listened to my gut instinct. My advice, stay off Rockport, unless you wanna take a dip. Well there is a first time for everything and now that had been checked off the list.
Gabe

Glad you got out OK Gabe, sounds like the ice is about done there unless some drastic happens. Did the guys that were leaving RP have any success?
(01-27-2024, 05:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-27-2024, 04:37 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I was able to get out on the ice yesterday. I started my day off on the south end of Echo. I was hoping to find a walleye. I started at 8am and stayed until 1015.  No fish harmed. I had some lucky fish that just didn't want to stay hooked, rookies. I tried depths of 15 ft to 22. Ice felt pretty good, some areas not as good as others. I check my paths with my spud bar. I would mark fish on the vexilar that would come off bottom and at least look at my tikka minnow or they hit it. I left Echo and headed to Rockport to look for the perch. Some guys were loading up their gear and told me I wouldn't need my spud bar. So me, being foolish, left the spud bar in the car. I ventured out in front of the last vault toilet before the state park entrance. I tried a few areas that have been successful in the past. Ghost town, no fish marked. So I tried to get out to deeper depths. This is when the spud bar would have been very handy. I walked out 15 ft from my last hole drilled and went right through. I would guess I was 150 yards plus out from the vault toilet. I tossed my ION auger aside as I plunged into the nice and cold water. I just relaxed, got acclimated to the nice frigid water, and then proceeded to pull myself out with my ice piks. I am grateful for a floating ice suit and ice piks. I rolled off the bad area until it felt solid. I proceeded to crawl out to grab the auger, then back to solid ice and back to shore. The edge was horrible and should have listened to my gut instinct. My advice, stay off Rockport, unless you wanna take a dip. Well there is a first time for everything and now that had been checked off the list.
Gabe

Glad you got out OK Gabe, sounds like the ice is about done there unless some drastic happens. Did the guys that were leaving RP have any success?
I didn't ask for details, but they said they got some perch.
Gabe
Good moves! I'm glad you're okay.
Sorry to learn of your "ice baptism".  I brought my spud bar out, other than the edges, and checking ice depth in previously drilled holes, I didn't need it. Falling in through the ice must have been a terrifying experience, especially if you were alone!  Where I was fishing, the good ice was about 2.5" with 2 " of bad ice.  I joined a group of people for safety reasons.  We all did pretty well on perch.  I did not dare go farther out but saw several guys venture more towards the middle, I did not join them!  I got wet coming off the ice!  This morning was colder.  The ice holes from previous were frozen.  I did not bring my spud bar, I kept to the same trail that I used yesterday.  Catching was good, not as hot as yesterday, but no complaints.  In 34 FOW.  Things really slowed down around 9:45 or so.  Left the ice at 10:25.  I brought my own plank this time, stayed dry!

I'd be interested in learning more about your flotation ice suit.  I generally just wear good ole wool!
(01-27-2024, 08:20 PM)icerman Wrote: Sorry to learn of your "ice baptism".  I brought my spud bar out, other than the edges, and checking ice depth in previously drilled holes, I didn't need it. Falling in through the ice must have been a terrifying experience, especially if you were alone!  Where I was fishing, the good ice was about 2.5" with 2 " of bad ice.  I joined a group of people for safety reasons.  We all did pretty well on perch.  I did not dare go farther out but saw several guys venture more towards the middle, I did not join them!  I got wet coming off the ice!  This morning was colder.  The ice holes from previous were frozen.  I did not bring my spud bar, I kept to the same trail that I used yesterday.  Catching was good, not as hot as yesterday, but no complaints.  In 34 FOW.  Things really slowed down around 9:45 or so.  Left the ice at 10:25.  I brought my own plank this time, stayed dry!

I'd be interested in learning more about your flotation ice suit.  I generally just wear good ole wool!

I was wearing some floating ice bibs made by striker. There are several brands available to pick and choose from. When I went in, I only went in up to my chest. The bibs kept me from going completely under. I think I paid like between $250 and $300 for them. Well worth the money spent. I really wasn’t scared, I just remembered what to do from watching videos of others going through. 
Gabe
Scary for sure. Like you said, 'Well worth the money spent' especially when safety and your life are involved. I haven't been Ice fishing in years but think I will put a life jacket on if I ever go out again. Glad to hear you made it out safely.
I hope not to test my float bibs and jacket that way. I haven't even put them on since I bought them. Got the Strikerice Trekker for $112 each.
Reading these reports of poor ice almost makes this trip to Mission Viejo bearable at 80 degrees.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Thank you so much for the info on the float bibs and jacket. I have never heard of them before. I will definitely look into them. Now that I am doing more solo trips, they definitely make sense, especially on early and late ice or years like this when the ice is so spotty! I have never broken through the ice where I didn't hit bottom (and I never want to).

We hit Rockport again on Sat. Brought our own larger plank. Did well on perch. I doubt I will try it again unless it gets really cold and freezes. I fear that people did a hole and think 5" of ice, when if you look for the clear ice, it is only 2" with 3 inches of bad ice on top!
Wow, glad to hear you were able to get out okay, that couldn't have been fun at all... Congrats on being prepared and following your training... I have to ask one question that has always bugged me... Why do they say to become accustomed to the cold before you just try to get out? To me I think I'd want to get out as fast as possible and I've always heard the training say to get used to it and then get out... Is that just so you don't freak out and panic? I suspect it has got to be really hard to follow that step... Glad your spikes were available, do they make it easy to pull yourself out, or is it still pretty difficult to get over the edge? I've never went through above the waist and have been pretty nervous about that ever happening, but I know when I keep fishing the conditions that I do, that that day will likely happen someday so I'm hoping I will be as prepared as you were... Thanks for the post.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-29-2024, 03:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Wow, glad to hear you were able to get out okay, that couldn't have been fun at all... Congrats on being prepared and following your training... I have to ask one question that has always bugged me... Why do they say to become accustomed to the cold before you just try to get out?  To me I think I'd want to get out as fast as possible and I've always heard the training say to get used  to it and then get out... Is that just so you don't freak out and panic?  I suspect it has got to be really hard to follow that step...  Glad your spikes were available, do they make it easy to pull yourself out, or is it still pretty difficult to get over the edge?  I've never went through above the waist and have been pretty nervous about that ever happening, but I know when I keep fishing the conditions that I do, that that day will likely happen someday so I'm hoping I will be as prepared as you were... Thanks for the post..  Jeff

I think its to do just what you said, not freak out or panic. I mean yes its cold, but not unbearable. I heard if you panic and start splashing around and using you muscles you can actually go hypothermic pretty quickly and then you muscles wont work and then you thinking skills go out the window. I hope no one else goes through at Rockport or any where else for that matter. I think this ice season will go down as the shortest one. I have lived here almost 32 years and I haven't seen another one like it. Will this keep me off the ice, probably not, just more cautious by using my spud bar to check conditions, rather than listening to others. I think I will freeze a different way and launch the float tube soon. 
Gabe
Thanks Gabe, great insight, and it's muchly appreciated.... Don't give up on the ice just yet.... I hear February is supposed to get pretty cold again... Around Valentines they are saying we should be back on the ice... Guess we'll see what happens, but 50 degrees on Thursday doesn't sound good for the current ice sheet... I'm probably getting close to done till it gets cold again... Later Jeff
(01-29-2024, 03:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm probably getting close to done till it gets cold again... Later Jeff
I haven't even started yet Jeff.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-29-2024, 05:20 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 03:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm probably getting close to done till it gets cold again... Later Jeff
I haven't even started yet Jeff.

I can see why, it's a terrible year for ice fishing