Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport treating us right - 1/27/23
After seeing Obi and Icerman’s posts (thx guys) I switched plans from Pineview to Rockport.  Not wanting to fish solo, I called up JMoreFish and he was more than willing to do some perch jerking.  We pulled up to the last bathroom turnout and headed north to the first point.  Edges were fairly solid at 7:30 AM.  They were really soft by noon when we came off.  Ice was not as strong as I thought it would be.  3-4” of cloudy ice over the top of 1.5” of clear ice.  If heading out, do not fish big groups together!!  Didn’t have any problems in the AM, but I’d be more hesitant about the afternoon, and with the warm temps coming, I wouldn’t trust the ice more than another day or so.  Maybe just me, but I hate taking unplanned and unsolicited baths.

Now, the fishing was pretty consistent all morning.  A few short lulls here or there, but the fish were willing all the way to the end.  We fished in 50 feet of water.  I made one small move of 20 yards, but other than that, the fish were below us with no need to move.    I fished a 1/8 oz chartruese glow Hali the bottom with a small Demon Tick above.  Never needed to change.  First fish was caught with a waxie and then it was eyeballs the rest of the way.  I’ll let Jmore pontificate on his setup if he so choses.  I brought home a limit and Jmore was slightly more selective (I.e didn’t want to clean more) and brought 32 home.  Avg 8-9” with a few bigger and smaller.  All in all, a good day to be on the ice.  Sorry, no photos this time.

Did I say “be careful” if heading out tomorrow and beyond?
Thanks for your report.  Glad you got into the fish.  I hate to see the  closer lakes ice season end so quickly!  I agree, I fear the warm week forecasted will be detrimental to the more local ice!  We did well today also.  In 34 FOW.  May be the only weekend for fish taco's if it stays warm!
We’ll get some more time on the local ice. It’s warm this week, but it cools down next weekend through the entire next week.
Pretty disturbing seeing how bad the ice was after drilling the first hole..MWScott and I wore chest high waders for the ingress/egress questionable shoreline .. thankfully didn't need them.. and we both wore life jackets for the hike in/out ..I also had my probe stick to test as walking...hey, I was a scoutmaster..'Be Prepared'..doncha no?...Don't believe I'll return unless we get nites in the teens for a spell..today, temp was 25* at 0650, when I arrived..too warm, as everybody knows..as stated, fishing was very good for medium sized perch, which were our target species..I used 2 rods..I like the carnival when you get a hit on each, lines get tangled reeling one in, etc..eyeball good, then switched to red spikes on one small 'wonderbread' jig, and cut mealworm on very small perch colored 'waxie' jig..all three of these presentations worked good today..think hard about going here with this warm spell..at a minimum, I'd be wearing the life jacket..guluk..