Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ice Woes - Where to Go?
Craig and I hit Newton last Saturday and had to use a 10-foot extension ladder plus a 4 foot piece of plywood to access without getting wet (see pic). We tried a Utah County pond on Monday that was so rotten that we didn't even try to get on. UL Provo Harbor still has ice around the docks (also used the ladder there to access one dock), but for how long?

Lots of reports of people going through on mid-level lakes - Mantua, Rockport, Pineview, etc.

Strawberry and Scofield seem to be doing okay, but we have about had our limit of slot cutthroats. Would love to get into some kokanees at Strawberry, but limited to walking on.

What a year to have full reservoirs and sketchy ice. A cold week would lock everything back up if it happens before the ice disappears.

Any ideas on where to go that is safe and where might get into some other species (kokanee, brook or brown trout, walleye, etc.)? 

[Image: IMG-3055.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
It's been rough man, I'll be heading back to gorge this weekend. If your looking to switch it up to lake trout I'd make the run north. It's still kinda sketchy but you can find safe ice. Fontanelle looked like the safest reservoir I've seen this year.
I'm not seeing anyone on Hyrum today and it looks like a big hole up on the east end where maybe someone went through yesterday, not sure just looking at the cameras... You seen Newton since I have and it sounds like it's not too easy to fish now... I'm in the same boat as you, except I haven't been after trout yet this year, so I'm going to try a Strawberry trip sometime when I get a full day to take off.. Got to keep hoping for some more cold is all I can think... Although I'm down to work today and it's pretty nice weather down here, much better than Cache Valley... So I could get into some nice weather too even though it's hard on my ice fishing... Well feeling your pain... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-31-2024, 06:17 PM)Tom-a-hawk Wrote: It's been rough man, I'll be heading back to gorge this weekend. If your looking to switch it up to lake trout I'd make the run north. It's still kinda sketchy but you can find safe ice. Fontanelle looked like the safest reservoir I've seen this year.

Yeah, thought about that. I've already been up there twice this year, including two Saturdays ago.  I do have another FG trip planned for late February assuming there is still some ice...

Have you tried smith and moorhouse? They have a nice variety of fish there including Kokanee and grayling.
I think I will take my student club to Strawberry. Nowhere else seems safe.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-31-2024, 05:51 PM)joatmon Wrote: Craig and I hit Newton last Saturday and had to use a 10-foot extension ladder plus a 4 foot piece of plywood to access without getting wet (see pic). We tried a Utah County pond on Monday that was so rotten that we didn't even try to get on. UL Provo Harbor still has ice around the docks (also used the ladder there to access one dock), but for how long?

Lots of reports of people going through on mid-level lakes - Mantua, Rockport, Pineview, etc.

Strawberry and Scofield seem to be doing okay, but we have about had our limit of slot cutthroats. Would love to get into some kokanees at Strawberry, but limited to walking on.

What a year to have full reservoirs and sketchy ice. A cold week would lock everything back up if it happens before the ice disappears.

Any ideas on where to go that is safe and where might get into some other species (kokanee, brook or brown trout, walleye, etc.)? 

[Image: IMG-3055.jpg]
I’m sitting in the Wind Surfer lot at Pineview now, ice looks good, the challenge is the lite bite, there are plenty of crappie and perch on the graph. The challenge is hooking them if you have the touch and can use the force you will catch them but that said it is tough for folks that need a solid bite to catch fish. The ice is good and safe and there are a lot of 11” crappie if you can hook them.
Obi - what are the exact conditions there in the Narrows?? Last I was there 2.5 weeks ago, there was 4-5” of clear ice under 3” or so of gray ice. I’d love to get up there this weekend if the conditions are good. I average about one hook set for every three bites, so…
Obi, are you saying that Pineview still has safe ice?!  Edges?
I went to Rockport last weekend, can't say I dare go there this weekend!
Anyone been to East Canyon recently that can give a ice condition report?  Edges?
(02-01-2024, 01:55 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Obi - what are the exact conditions there in the Narrows??  Last I was there 2.5 weeks ago, there was 4-5” of clear ice under 3” or so of gray ice.  I’d love to get up there this weekend if the conditions are good.  I average about one hook set for every three bites, so…

I did not get on the ice today, I was just sitting in my car, but I saw several people walking around at windsurfer and up by the caretakers house and it looked solid no slush and the edges looked good from where I was at. I am going tomorrow evening and will give a detailed Ice and fishing report when I get back.

(02-01-2024, 01:59 AM)icerman Wrote: Obi, are you saying that Pineview still has safe ice?!  Edges?
Anyone been to East Canyon recently that can give a ice condition report?  Edges?

Pine view looked good this afternoon, I'm going there tomorrow evening and will give a detailed ice and fishing report. I visited Rockport, Echo,  and East Canyon for work this week. The Ice looked bad at all of them, with open water around the edges and grey rotten ice over large portions of the lakes. I saw people on all of them but I would not do it.
Drive by at Mantua looked bad as well. Ice was really grey so I expect it's not very good.... no one on it anywhere... But it was cold again last night if that makes any difference once ice is on the way out... Later J
(01-31-2024, 07:07 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm not seeing anyone on Hyrum today and it looks like a big hole up on the east end where maybe someone went through yesterday, not sure just looking at the cameras... You seen Newton since I have and it sounds like it's not too easy to fish now... I'm in the same boat as you, except I haven't been after trout yet this year, so I'm going to try a Strawberry trip sometime when I get a full day to take off.. Got to keep hoping for some more cold is all I can think... Although I'm down to work today and it's pretty nice weather down here, much better than Cache Valley... So I could get into some nice weather too even though it's hard on my ice fishing... Well feeling your pain... Later Jef

Yeah, we haven't hit Strawberry, so maybe that's it. I'm also doing a ward ice fishing trip on Feb 10 and debating between Scofield and Strawberry.

Have a nieces reception on the 10th so I'm not sure if I dare try a long trip on that day, but it is possible I might be there as well... Have to watch and see... Later J
(02-01-2024, 01:59 AM)icerman Wrote: Obi, are you saying that Pineview still has safe ice?!  Edges?
Anyone been to East Canyon recently that can give an ut ice condition report?  Edges?

Out on Pineview now, ice condition is the best I have encountered all season, no slush, solid edges, plenty thick ice in the narrows. Really tough  bite, we are getting a few, but not easy at all. Plenty of fish on the screen, just not cooperative.
That’s how it was a couple weeks back. Plenty of fish, but they were not very hungry. We fished right before a storm blew in (like today). I wonder if the dropping barometer is affecting them? My guess is that it is…
(02-02-2024, 03:49 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
Anyone been to East Canyon recently that can give an ut ice condition report?  Edges?

Out on pineview now, ice condition is the best I have encountered all season, no slush solid edges, plenty thick ice in the narrows. Really tuff bight we are getting a few, bout not easy at all. Plenty of fish on the screen, just not cooperative.

Thanks for the update on the ice.  I'll be interested in how you do catching wise.  My 3 yr old grandson is so excited to come ice fishing, would be great if Pineview is an option vs Strawberry which might be a little too much for him.

Out on pineview now, ice condition is the best I have encountered all season, no slush solid edges, plenty thick ice in the narrows. Really tuff bight we are getting a few, bout not easy at all. Plenty of fish on the screen, just not cooperative.
Look to the north. Idaho Preston area I was on one other day and it was awesome! Lots of panfish and plenty of good ice and solid edges.