Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview is an Option
Fished Pineview last night and managed to catch Robert some sturgeon bait. The ice conditions are the best I’ve encountered anywhere in Utah this winter. No slush, firm edges, just enough snow for good traction, I didn’t measure the ice but it was plenty thick and solid. The bite was even tougher than normal last night, the fish were stacked up like always. We were in 63’ of water and the fish were suspended from 30 down to 50. Only got three of the 11” and 16 total.
[Image: IMG-1812.jpg]
(02-02-2024, 04:09 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Fished Pineview last night and managed to catch Robert some sturgeon bait. The ice conditions are the best I’ve encountered anywhere in Utah this winter. No slush, firm edges, just enough snow for good traction, I didn’t measure the ice but it was plenty thick and solid. The bite was even tougher than normal last night, the fish were stacked up like always. We were in 63’ of water and the fish were suspended from 30 down to 50. Only got three of the 11” and 16 total.

Sounds like you did pretty good Shawn, looks like Robert should get some good bait out of your trip. No perch? When you are heading down to the ice are you pulling just a sled or a shelter or a pop up tent in your sled? Thanks for the report.
It looks like you kept more than the heads for Robert. Shawn, how long did you fish?
(02-02-2024, 04:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 04:09 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Fished Pineview last night and managed to catch Robert some sturgeon bait. The ice conditions are the best I’ve encountered anywhere in Utah this winter. No slush, firm edges, just enough snow for good traction, I didn’t measure the ice but it was plenty thick and solid. The bite was even tougher than normal last night, the fish were stacked up like always. We were in 63’ of water and the fish were suspended from 30 down to 50. Only got three of the 11” and 16 total.

Sounds like you did pretty good Shawn, looks like Robert should get some good bait out of your trip. No perch? When you are heading down to the ice are you pulling just a sled or a shelter or a pop up tent in your sled? Thanks for the report.
I pull a small sled and use the backpack straps on my shelter carrying it on my back.
No perch where harmed but I didn’t fish on the bottom.

(02-02-2024, 05:02 PM)Kent Wrote: It looks like you kept more than the heads for Robert.  Shawn, how long did you fish?
Ya, I got lazy and just vacuum sealed them whole, it was really slow I fished from 5pm to 10pm.
Thanks for the report Shawn. I’m hoping to be there tomorrow morning early…if I can get myself out of my nice, warm bed. 16 doesn’t sound too bad. That means you at least had 2 or 3 times as many takes? It definitely hasn’t heated up yet though - that’s for sure.
Any updates from today? Would like to go tomorrow if it was solid today.
(02-04-2024, 02:53 AM)wayno945 Wrote: Any updates from today?  Would like to go tomorrow if it was solid today.

I went by the Narrows this morning.  Ice was good, edges were good.  Got a little water on top but I'll bet it freezes tonight.  Got there at 7 a.m.  Caught my first 3 Crappie in about 20 min.  Another 40 min for the 4th (big perch).  Bounced around a lot between 50-70 FOW.  Ended up in 25 FOW and caught  a lot of perch.  Left around 11 a.m.  Was a windy day.  Great to get on the ice and catch at Pineview!
Prepare to work hard for fish. I fished the Caretaker’s area in the Narrows last night. Lines in the water by 5:45pm and fished till 11. Should have left by 9. Bite was almost non-existent for me. Probably had 5 all night. 57 FOW with fish suspended between 25-40 feet down. Tried half a dozen combos. Green, yellow, white Halie’s, Gold, white, yello, pink Demon Ticks, yellow, white glo rat finkies and a perch colored Buck Shot. They just weren’t interested. Best results were on the Buck Shot by dropping it into the suspended fish, jigging like crazy, then bringing it up out of the school and jigging some more. Had 3-4 fish chase it…but this was between 10:15-10:45. Maybe that would have worked earlier??? Landed one 10” crappie. Didn’t seem that others were catching much either. Lots of people moving off the ice by 9pm. I’m just stubborn, I guess.

Solid edges. 3.5” of clear ice with about 5” of cloudy ice on top. No slush.
Thanks for the updates! I'm probably still going to go if the fishing is slow. I have a new fish finder setup that I want to try out anyways.