Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-rigged Atomic Teaser
I like the Berkley Powerbait "Pre-rigged Atomic Teaser" for trout fishing, but have found that at 1/32 or 1/16 oz, they fall frustratingly slow. Plus, the hooks are so small that they don't leave much of a hook gap. In previous years, I have used a split shot above them or added a "flasher" spoon w/o treble above them, to improve sink rate. But the small hook gap remained. 

This year, I have been experimenting with re-rigging them using a 1/16 or 1/8 jighead with a larger hook (specifically I have tried Kalin's 1/16 and 1/8 oz and Eagle Claw 1/16 oz tube jig heads). See picture for the difference, with both tubes sporting a 1/16 oz jighead. The bottom set shows a stock atomic teaser, with the small jighead next to it. The upper set shows the re-rigged atomic teaser and associated jighead next to it. 

I have caught some nice trout so far and hope to experiment further on Saturday at Strawberry. Oh, and will likely continue to pair with a flasher spoon (the bottom picture shows a full rig), varying the "dropper" distance from about 2-12". Slow controlled fall to avoid line tangle.

[Image: IMG-2592.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3112.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Looks like a great setup. Looking forward to a report on the tweaks you made
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds and looks like a great upgrade... good luck with it... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
So...an Atomic Teaser is merely a small tube jig with an extra tail?

I use 3" tubes for bass, and now wonder what adding a short plastic worm might do. BTW, crappie like 1.5" tubes, too. I shove a crappie nibble up inside the tube for added attraction.
Those little tube jig heads are great.  I have a mold that turns out both 1/16 and 1/32 oz.  But I like to fish my jigs with a "horizontal hold"...so I modified the molds to put the hook eye in the center of the mold, rather than toward the end.  Works great without having to tie hinky knots and all that stuff.  Also, by having my own molds I can make the small heads on larger hooks if I wanna.  Lemme know if you'd like to try some.

[Image: MINI-TUBE-MOLD.jpg]  [Image: MODS.jpg]