Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The small perch problem !!
Every one has been posting about all the small (6-9 inch ) perch that they are catching.  These small perch are super eating but a pain to clean !!  Not so.  If you use the method listed below,  you can clean and have these tasty morsels ready to go very quickly.  You will also help the fishery by taking these small fish out of the fishery, making room for bigger fish and reduce stunting.  Often times the mortality of these small fish is very high when released as they come from deep water.  Look at this cleaning method and have some fine eating and help the fishery at the same time !!!

HOW TO CLEAN A PERCH IN 10 SECONDS!!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb...Gofish4eva

Trust me, this is worth watching and will give you some FINE eating !!!
(02-07-2024, 05:06 PM)Therapist Wrote: Every one has been posting about all the small (6-9 inch ) perch that they are catching.  These small perch are super eating but a pain to clean !!  Not so.  If you use the method listed below,  you can clean and have these tasty morsels ready to go very quickly.  You will also help the fishery by taking these small fish out of the fishery, making room for bigger fish and reduce stunting.  Often times the mortality of these small fish is very high when released as they come from deep water.  Look at this cleaning method and have some fine eating and help the fishery at the same time !!!

HOW TO CLEAN A PERCH IN 10 SECONDS!!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb...Gofish4eva

I have been doing it for years. But I do cut out rib bones works great
(02-07-2024, 05:22 PM)Fishing#1 Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 05:06 PM)Therapist Wrote: Every one has been posting about all the small (6-9 inch ) perch that they are catching.  These small perch are super eating but a pain to clean !!  Not so.  If you use the method listed below,  you can clean and have these tasty morsels ready to go very quickly.  You will also help the fishery by taking these small fish out of the fishery, making room for bigger fish and reduce stunting.  Often times the mortality of these small fish is very high when released as they come from deep water.  Look at this cleaning method and have some fine eating and help the fishery at the same time !!!

I have been doing it for years. But I do cut out rib bones works great

If you only do his method there are still rib bones left inside of the perch?
(02-07-2024, 05:47 PM)Kent Wrote: If you only do his method there are still rib bones left inside of the perch?
Oh yes there are!  Big Grin  And exactly why I don't use this method.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(02-07-2024, 08:37 PM)dubob Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 05:47 PM)Kent Wrote: If you only do his method there are still rib bones left inside of the perch?
Oh yes there are!  Big Grin  And exactly why I don't use this method.

I agree.  I don't want any bones in fish that I eat, unless they are large bones and easily removed.
If you have basic filleting skills and a good electric knife you can get good skinless and boneless fillets from even small perch...and generally just as quickly as this other method.

But the only small perch I keep generally end up looking like this...for bait.

[Image: BAIT-STRIPS.jpg]

Tubedud has the best method for perch.

The other method, at least at Fish Lake, is to just toss them up on the ice, then walk away from the pile at the end of the day...
(02-08-2024, 02:58 PM)By TubeDude Wrote: If you have basic filleting skills and a good electric knife you can get good skinless and boneless fillets from even small perch...and generally just as quickly as this other method.

But the only small perch I keep generally end up looking like this...for bait.

[Image: BAIT-STRIPS.jpg]

Pat, I totally agree. Even with smaller perch if efficient with a good very sharp knife, or my preference and electric you can fillet perch boneless that can be cooked many ways other than just breaded IE. Perch chowder, baked au gratin , in a white pasta sauce. I kept 20 from Rockport the other day before ice went bad.
I cleaned 20 with electric in 10 minutes, and I wasn’t rushing. Those 40 boneless fillets , turned into 2 fish taco dinners for my wife and I and I nice pot of perch chowder we feasted on for 2 days. Practice with a fillet knife and you can get very efficient and boneless fillets.
Pat back at you Pat,
“Mildog”
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life