Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 2-9-24
Kory and I fished Strawberry, yesterday, around The Marina.  Walking was extremely difficult.  There was ~1 foot of snow on top of ~6 inches of slush.  Wherever we drilled holes, after packing down the snow, on top of the slush and sometimes adding additional snow, on top, we were able to create fairly solid islands to fish from.  It snowed most of the time we were there, sometimes heavily.  I experienced something that I have never witnessed before, while ice fishing.  In the early afternoon it had warmed to the point that ice wasn't forming in our holes, when I noticed that my holes were freezing again.  Apparently, the cold front had fully reached us and the temperatures had dropped.    

Catching wasn't spectacular, but we have had much worse days.  Between us, we managed to land 60 fish.  We managed to catch 4 rainbows that made their way home with us.  All cutthroats were in the slot, with the largest going 21 3/4".   

[Image: Strawberry-marina.jpg]
(02-10-2024, 04:25 PM)Kent Wrote: Kory and I fished Strawberry, yesterday, around The Marina.  Walking was extremely difficult.  There was ~1 foot of snow on top of ~6 inches of slush.  Wherever we drilled holes, after packing down the snow, on top of the slush and sometimes adding additional snow, on top, we were able to create fairly solid islands to fish from.  It snowed most of the time we were there, sometimes heavily.  I experienced something that I have never witnessed before, while ice fishing.  In the early afternoon it had warmed to the point that ice wasn't forming in our holes, when I noticed that my holes were freezing again.  Apparently, the cold front had fully reached us and the temperatures had dropped.    

Catching wasn't spectacular, but we have had much worse days.  Between us, we managed to land 60 fish.  We managed to catch 4 rainbows that made their way home with us.  All cutthroats were in the slot, with the largest going 21 3/4".   

LOL, for most people 60 trout would be an awesome day but how many hours did you two fish? Great report Kent, thanks or sharing it with us.
I tend to agree with Curt, 60 fish isn't a slow day in my book... Thanks for the report, sounds like some tough ice conditions.. How thick was the ice underneath the slush... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-12-2024, 01:56 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 04:25 PM)Kent Wrote: Kory and I fished Strawberry, yesterday, around The Marina.  Walking was extremely difficult.  There was ~1 foot of snow on top of ~6 inches of slush.  Wherever we drilled holes, after packing down the snow, on top of the slush and sometimes adding additional snow, on top, we were able to create fairly solid islands to fish from.  It snowed most of the time we were there, sometimes heavily.  I experienced something that I have never witnessed before, while ice fishing.  In the early afternoon it had warmed to the point that ice wasn't forming in our holes, when I noticed that my holes were freezing again.  Apparently, the cold front had fully reached us and the temperatures had dropped.    

LOL, for most people 60 trout would be an awesome day but how many hours did you two fish? Great report Kent, thanks or sharing it with us.

Only from ~7 AM to ~ 3:30 PM.  The trip before this, Kory caught 60 all by himself.

Did you see any snow machines out on the ice? Specifically,  do you know if Snowmobiles are getting to Renegade?
(02-12-2024, 09:56 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote:

Did you see any snow machines out on the ice? Specifically,  do you know if Snowmobiles are getting to Renegade?

Yes, I saw several snowmobiles on the ice.  I don't know how far they went, but I assume some went as far as Renegade.  It would have been ugly trying to ride a 4X4, or similar, on the ice that day, with the deep snow and the slush.
Thanks for sharing your outing with those of us who were at home wishing! 21 3/4 is still a dandy on ice tackle.