Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Ice, Easy Access, Football Rainbows
I am staying at Ruby’s Inn in Bryce this week for work and had a few hours this afternoon to get out and I went to Panguitch Lake. I fished on the north end near a marina in 17’ of water and as soon as I punched my first hole and dropped in it was fish on. I started the catching with a skinny cutt then it was dozens of football Rainbows after that. I have never been there before, I parked on the road and stepped right onto the ice, saw two groups a couple hundred yards apart and set set up between them. I caught them on my favorite white with red flake gitzilla tipped with meal worm, caught them through the entire water column. I would catch several fish really quickly then the bite would fall off and I would move 50 yards punch a new hole and it would be fish on again. If your willing to travel, Panguitch is beautiful with great conditions, access and you can run any kind of machine on it now plus the fish are willing to play.
[Image: IMG-1937.jpg]
Hey Shawn, nice to see a successful ice report this month... If I had only known I was down south last weekend... Not really in fishing mode though, but it sounds like it was fun for you. Thanks for the report... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-22-2024, 03:13 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I am staying at Ruby’s Inn in Bryce this week for work and had a few hours this afternoon to get out and I went to Panguitch Lake. I fished on the north end near a marina in 17’ of water and as soon as I punched my first hole and dropped in it was fish on. I started the catching with a skinny cutt then it was dozens of football Rainbows after that. I have never been there before, I parked on the road and stepped right onto the ice, saw two groups a couple hundred yards apart and set set up between them. I caught them on my favorite white with red flake gitzilla tipped with meal worm, caught them through the entire water column. I would catch several fish really quickly then the bite would fall off and I would move 50 yards punch a new hole and it would be fish on again. If your willing to travel, Panguitch is beautiful with great conditions, access and you can run any kind of machine on it now plus the fish are willing to play.

Great report Shawn, how thick was the ice there? Seems like I went there years ago but how far would you say it is, once you get off the Freeway, to the lake?
I have to travel to Kanab in the next week or two for work. May have to stop off on the way and give it a try. Apparently those gitzilla’s are required offering too and I l’d be stupid not to pick some up! Wink
Thanks for the report. It sounds like a lot of fun....and more peaceful than a boat full of kids. Both are great though.
It takes about 25 minutes to get from Panguitch to Panguitch Lake. Panguitch Lake also produces some really big tigers. It is Sad, though, that the slot was taken off the rainbows a number of years ago...prior to the slot removal, it wasn't uncommon to catch 20-25 inch rainbows every trip.
Good report! I think I saw you down there. My brother and I and spouses spent a couple days at Rubys Inn , Monday thru Wed morning . No fishing gear onboard ! Hiking trip for the ladies. We had both talked about the fact we should have brought gear to fish! If only we had known. ?
Fun trip we try to go every winter , next year auger and rods will be available!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(02-22-2024, 02:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 03:13 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I am staying at Ruby’s Inn in Bryce this week for work and had a few hours this afternoon to get out and I went to Panguitch Lake. I fished on the north end near a marina in 17’ of water and as soon as I punched my first hole and dropped in it was fish on. I started the catching with a skinny cutt then it was dozens of football Rainbows after that. I have never been there before, I parked on the road and stepped right onto the ice, saw two groups a couple hundred yards apart and set set up between them. I caught them on my favorite white with red flake gitzilla tipped with meal worm, caught them through the entire water column. I would catch several fish really quickly then the bite would fall off and I would move 50 yards punch a new hole and it would be fish on again. If your willing to travel, Panguitch is beautiful with great conditions, access and you can run any kind of machine on it now plus the fish are willing to play.

Great report Shawn, how thick was the ice there? Seems like I went there years ago but how far would you say it is, once you get off the Freeway, to the lake?
It is a long hall about 4.5 hours from Ogden but it’s a beautiful place with easy access don’t have to walk far or down any hills to get on the ice. The Ice was well over a foot thick. I went back again this morning and got on at the boat ramp. I fished from 8-11am and caught several dozen fat feisty Raiwnbows  and a handful of slot cuts that where pretty beat up. They wanted it moving and caught a bunch on the drop I would pause at 10’ and often times there would be a fish and I would shake my jig triggering a strike. The picture doesn’t do it justice but this was a Rainbow that was nearly black I caught this morning.
[Image: IMG-1940.jpg]
Here's an enhanced pic of that bow.  Looks like a male getting ready for the spring spawn.  Purty.

[Image: DARK-BOW.jpg]