Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My New Smitty Sled
A picture tells a thousand words.  
[Image: 20240225-150831.jpg]

[Image: 20240225-150804.jpg]
I'm glad you like the Smitty sled. I've seen way too many tip over pulled behind a snowmobile or up the steep hills coming out of Pineview, Newton or Hyrum, so I left my Jet Sled untouched. It also seems to me that when the weight of everything is spread out on the bottom of an unmodified sled would be more beneficial than the weight on two skinny skiis. I know there would be more friction from more contact area, but I would inheriently think that would be checked by skinny skiis digging into deeper snow instead of floating over it? I've also put an upsidedown bucket in my sled and sat on it instead of on the ice when the slush is deep. To each their own for sure.
(02-26-2024, 01:27 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: I'm glad you like the Smitty sled.  I've seen way too many tip over pulled behind a snowmobile or up the steep hills coming out of Pineview, Newton or Hyrum, so I left my Jet Sled untouched.  It also seems to me that when the weight of everything is spread out on the bottom of an unmodified sled would be more beneficial than the weight on two skinny skiis.  I know there would be more friction from more contact area, but I would inheriently think that would be checked by skinny skiis digging into deeper snow instead of floating over it?  I've also put an upsidedown bucket in my sled and sat on it instead of on the ice when the slush is deep.  To each their own for sure.

Scott, you need to try one.... I've never had my smitty tip over, but I did space my skis to match my snowmobile ski width. (However, I have had my jetsled tip over twice this past winter and scatter my gear all down the slope...But to be fair it was too steep to take my big smitty down into the same area.)  Also I wouldn't have a sled without a rigid handle that fixes all the towing issues for me so far...(there's a lie, my jet sled has a rope handle creating lots of downhill issues) And i know it seems counter intuitive, but the skinny skis save your bacon in deep snow, they float the sled high enough that you don't get that big friction dragging behind, as long as you don't have any bolt heads sticking below the ski surface to drag... I've totally loved my smitty and it's built like an old heavy duty wagon, but it pulls like a light sled, until you go uphill, then the weight catches up with ya... but I like Reelmasters design, I'll bet he'll love it... Only draw back I've noticed is they take a little more room to fit in your vehicles... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff,
As I said, to each their own. You brought up a good point, and that is the space. My sled is stored in my garage (mine hangs from ceiling with everything in it. Any taller and I couldn't get my truck in the garage. But I still like to sit inside the sled with my gear on slush days (and there were several this year). With a Smitty addition I could not do that. The weight alone is enough deterrent for me though. I've never had my sled become too resistant to drag, even in deep snow, so I can't comment there. Maybe I pack lighter than other. I know for certain I pack lighter than Kent! I've seen what he brings before. LOL
(02-26-2024, 08:32 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Jeff,
As I said, to each their own.  You brought up a good point, and that is the space.  My sled is stored in my garage (mine hangs from ceiling with everything in it.  Any taller and I couldn't get my truck in the garage.  But I still like to sit inside the sled with my gear on slush days (and there were several this year).  With a Smitty addition I could not do that.  The weight alone is enough deterrent for me though.  I've never had my sled become too resistant to drag, even in deep snow, so I can't comment there.  Maybe I pack lighter than other.  I know for certain I pack lighter than Kent!  I've seen what he brings before. LOL

LOL.  Scott, you are having a discussion with Jeff, who has been known to drag three sleds out on the ice, just for himself, and you bring me into the conversation?  You aren't the first to say I take too much out on the ice; however, now that I have sold my smitty sled and moved from the Jet Sled XL to the Jet Sled 1, I have taken far less out on the ice.  I haven't put up my sled, even once, this season.
Ya know I've never seen what Kent takes, but he's always giving me razzberries over what i take, so maybe I'm really bad... I don't mind as long as the snowmobile is pulling it... However this year I never got the sled on the ice... So glad I paid that $150 to license it this year... Hopefully next year it will be closer to $35 like my other sled that's about the same age... I think I had my Smitty over to newton that day I fished by you, in fact I have a smitty under the flip as well and for me to pull two sleds that big at the same time without the snowmobile, you can tell they must be doing something to help, but I agree we all have different ways we like to use them and we have to do what works for how we do it... Hope your recovery is still going well for you. I sent an old snowmobiling buddy to talk to you about your procedure, he was heading down the same road, and really concerned about it, so I hoped you could give him some advice... Anyway catch again soon.... Jeff
Yeah, just let him give a call and I'd be happy to talk to him about the shoulder. It's coming along pretty good. At least I'm noticing some improvements. Patience is the key and when it comes to this, I'm not too patient. But overall I'm thinking it was a good move.
(02-27-2024, 05:39 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Yeah, just let him give a call and I'd be happy to talk to him about the shoulder.  It's coming along pretty good.  At least I'm noticing some improvements.  Patience is the key and when it comes to this, I'm not too patient.  But overall I'm thinking it was a good move.

Thanks Scott, I got him your number, his name is Murry... Not sure he will contact you, but if he does you'll know where it came from... I sure need to do something about my left shoulder, but I'm like you not very patient and I don't know how I could give it the time it needs to get repaired... So I'll probably not do anything until it gets to the point that I don't have a choice... sure hurts though at times... Sure hope your's continues to get better... Need that casting arm ready to go before too much longer... Later Jeff
Scott/Jeff,

I've had both rotator cuffs repaired along with a reattachment of the left upper bicep tendon and a left leg total knee.  And I just had a CABGX5 (look it up ?) last September.  I recovered from all of them in half the normal time projected for men in their 70s (which I was for all but the CABGX5).  There is one reason for that; I was VERY AGGRESSIVE with the therapy after the surgery.  I went to the therapist 3 days a week for 3 months and did the home therapy exercises twice every day.   Your recovery is your responsibility.  Attack it with vigor and you'll be just fine and better off for it.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Doesn't sound like fun, but I've had my fair share of replacements/operations too. Both hips and now a reverse shoulder replacement. Both knees have had ACL/MCL reconstructions as well as scopes for meniscus tears. Way too many operations and I'm not even 60! Yikes!
I'm also a FIRM believer in PT.
Hey Bob, sounds like you're the bionic man these days... No wonder you don't act your age... That's a good thing I think... Hope the good health sticks with you so you can keep enjoying the things you love... My fear of going under the knife is I have too many farm things that have to be done and I don't have the time to shut down and not do them... Too proud to let somebody else do them for me too.... May have to suck that up one day and get somebody to help me for a month or two... Probably need to do it during the winter, but after missing this ice season i don't want to miss the next one... Later J