Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put My Ice Gear Away Mostly Did I do Wrong?
Well, I had been holding out hope to try a Strawberry trip before the season was over, but last I heard Strawberry wasn't in great shape.  Has anything changed up there to where I could take a snowmobile and a few ice sleds from the marina to Haws and Renegade? Without losing everything?  If so I'll hold up on putting my X-200 and snowmobile away for the year... Probably look for a day with less wild weather than predicted this weekend, so might be two weeks... Thanks for your thoughts... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-27-2024, 05:17 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Well, I had been holding out hope to try a Strawberry trip before the season was over, but last I heard Strawberry wasn't in great shape.  Has anything changed up there to where I could take a snowmobile and a few ice sleds from the marina to Haws and Renegade? Without losing everything?  If so I'll hold up on putting my X-200 and snowmobile away for the year... Probably look for a day with less wild weather than predicted this weekend, so might be two weeks... Thanks for your thoughts... J

Great question!  I only got my snowmobile out 3 times this year at Strawberry. I would like to get up there on the 9th or 16th if the ice holds. Hopefully we get some reports of good ice and great fishing.
I put mine away several years ago.
Sadly, I am with ya Pat, I had to give my ice fishing up cuz the old bones just don't tolerate the cold as well any more. Gotta feel for Jeff and the guys that enjoy the hard deck, bummer of a year for them.
I'm still working on getting the pic of the old launch at Lincoln. From what I could see from the road the water level was high enough to launch a tube or tune. Stand by.
That's three more times than I got mine on the ice... I did hit my field one day and burned up and down it a few times... Fun machine I love it and would really like to get it on the ice...

Pat and Lynn, you guys sure didn't miss anything not ice fishing this year... It was really sparce this year, and I think I fell through the ice a third of the times I tried to fish... so not a good ice year... Later guys... J
(02-27-2024, 05:17 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Well, I had been holding out hope to try a Strawberry trip before the season was over, but last I heard Strawberry wasn't in great shape.  Has anything changed up there to where I could take a snowmobile and a few ice sleds from the marina to Haws and Renegade? Without losing everything?  If so I'll hold up on putting my X-200 and snowmobile away for the year... Probably look for a day with less wild weather than predicted this weekend, so might be two weeks... Thanks for your thoughts... J

I put my ice gear away after I fell though last month at Rockport. This ice season has been the worse in the 31 years I have lived in Utah. 
Gabe
Sadley Jeff, I never got mine out.  Open heart surgery will do that to you. ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I just want to thank all of the people, some of them my friends, that bought Snow dogs since last season...
Seems like that sometimes. I got myself all geared back up again (no sno-dog) because a friend that is younger was going to take me. Oh well. I am looking forward to getting back out on the boat anyway.
I have a new wide screen TV to play with.
Reports from this week have been that the slush has firmed up and you can go everywhere you want on the sleds. Good time to go.
(02-27-2024, 05:17 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Well, I had been holding out hope to try a Strawberry trip before the season was over, but last I heard Strawberry wasn't in great shape.  Has anything changed up there to where I could take a snowmobile and a few ice sleds from the marina to Haws and Renegade? 

Either friends, myself, or both have fished Strawberry several times in the past 2ish weeks.  The edges are currently fine.  The ice is 14-16 inches (measured) the last time I went and probably more now.  Slush seems to be freezing where we were but you may encounter it if you get away from trails.  Sleds were zipping around all over around the marina.  However, I do not know about Renegade.
Thank you so much for the report, I think I'll keep the sled where I can get at it in case my schedule opens up for the weekend after next... Thank you very much... Jeff
Never got my ice gear out this year.  And that includes a brand new Auger/Drill setup that I purchased last year that still has not seen ice.  First year in over 20 years I didn't go ice fishing.  Dangerous ice and crappy weather on the days I wanted to go.  As others have mentioned, I do not tolerate cold well anymore.  I love to go when it's going to be blue skies and no wind...(And I STILL use my shack with a heater), but if it's going to be cloudy, rainy, snowy or windy...I'd really just do one of my other hobbies.  Like sitting on the couch and watching tv.
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I’m going ice fishing Tuesday morning at RP. Sure wouldn’t bring a sled on that pond this year, but you don’t need a sled to catch fish. ?
Guess I've gave up, I've got a new project starting up and won't be having much free time again... Bummer, it was a rough year... Later J
I would think Strawberry has another month of ice. It has been a poor ice year but I still made it out some. Hoping to go a few more times before it's over.

It's a bummer cause I much prefer ice fishing to soft water fishing. Less crowds and no bugs!
(03-05-2024, 03:00 PM)percheye Wrote: I would think Strawberry has another month of ice. It has been a poor ice year but I still made it out some.  Hoping to go a few more times before it's over. 

It's a bummer cause I much prefer ice fishing to soft water fishing. Less crowds and no bugs!

I'm with you on loving ice fishing... I still dream of making a run to the berry and I haven't put the snowmobile or x-200 up yet, so it's still possible, but life is getting too busy and I'm not sure I can sneak away... but not ready to put things away yet...  Later Jeff
It might have been too soon Jeff, but don't blame anyone for being disappointed in the ice this year.

We took the shuttle at Strawberry last Saturday. Still lots of ice. Between the ice and frozen slush it was almost the full length of my auger to punch through. I'm planning to alternate between Strawberry and Scofield until at least the end of the month. Might try Rockport if edges firm back up.

That being said, my ice fishing has been limited in terms of locations. And quantity of fish hasn't always been there, and yes, there have been a few skunks along the way. When I made my first trip in early November, I thought this would be a great year. But sketchy to no ice at lower elevation lakes really threw off my plan to catch more panfish and other species this winter. I think I caught less than five perch, one crappie, and no bluegills. Conversely, I have been able to catch some bigger trout and burbot this year, so not necessarily disappointed in the quality.

The water year looks good, so maybe next winter we will have decent amount of water and get some colder, ice sustaining temps. One can always hope...

jack of all tackle, master of none
(03-05-2024, 11:17 PM)joatmon Wrote: It might have been too soon Jeff, but don't blame anyone for being disappointed in the ice this year.

We took the shuttle at Strawberry last Saturday. Still lots of ice. Between the ice and frozen slush it was almost the full length of my auger to punch through. I'm planning to alternate between Strawberry and Scofield until at least the end of the month. Might try Rockport if edges firm back up.

That being said, my ice fishing has been limited in terms of locations. And quantity of fish hasn't always been there, and yes, there have been a few skunks along the way. When I made my first trip in early November, I thought this would be a great year. But sketchy to no ice at lower elevation lakes really threw off my plan to catch more panfish and other species this winter. I think I caught less than five perch, one crappie, and no bluegills. Conversely, I have been able to catch some bigger trout and burbot this year, so not necessarily disappointed in the quality.

The water year looks good, so maybe next winter we will have decent amount of water and get some colder, ice sustaining temps. One can always hope...

Hey Brett, you've done well using a poor year to the best benefit... I kept thinking the ice will get better and then I'll go try this spot or the other and ended up not getting much ice time in... plus I had a bunch of weddings and other events during the best of the ice season, so I really blew it this year...  but hopefully if things go well this summer on the project, I'll be ready for a good one next year...  Still might make one more trip assuming I can get away... Would be fun to hit the berry and I appreciate the condition update... Sounds like lots of ice if the slush doesn't come back too nasty... Thanks Jeff