Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video I made on the new iTroll throttle controll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6wQx1XFs0
(03-05-2024, 12:24 AM)liketrolling Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6wQx1XFs0
I've had it on my ThunderJet since 2017 - LOVE it.  I use it every trip.  It's worth every penny.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Robert, that is definitely a step up from merely trolling in "S" patterns.
Wow it will be interesting to watch the results over this next year... Lot of work to do all the programming... You'll have to do an update and let us know what you think as the season moves on... Thanks for the video, I didn't know what all was involved with the system... Pretty fancy... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I will add that the programing is not intuitive or user friendly.  I had to make a couple of phone calls to the owner of the company to get it all straight in my head and then write some notes and print them out to keep in my boat.  And, as with most of us older folks, I have to dig them out and refresh my memory at the beginning of each season.  But the cut and bump functions are solid gold once mastered.  Enjoy the new toy AND the new boat Robert.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-05-2024, 02:05 PM)dubob Wrote: I will add that the programing is not intuitive or user friendly.  I had to make a couple of phone calls to the owner of the company to get it all straight in my head and then write some notes and print them out to keep in my boat.  And, as with most of us older folks, I have to dig them out and refresh my memory at the beginning of each season.  But the cut and bump functions are solid gold once mastered.  Enjoy the new toy AND the new boat Robert.   Big Grin

Joe from iTroll  texted me and asked if I had used the new  hunt gain on the G 3 and I said no. he said it was really easy and I said Ok but your  not 80 yr/ old.  but I will put the time in and see if I can get it down.  I wish I was as smart as you Bob at are old age and I mean that truly.

this year hope to get some video of the lures changing speeds and the fish. with my live scope are a camera on the downrigger ball
I was looking into putting a throttle control on my kicker and looked at the itroll and troll master, then in my research I found the trollsmarter and ended up buying it
[Image: IMG-3679.jpg]
(03-06-2024, 12:43 AM)petty4life Wrote: I was looking into putting a throttle control on my kicker and looked at the itroll and troll master,  then in my research I found the trollsmarter and ended up buying it
I started off with the Troll Master and immediately sold it and then bought the iTroll.  Never heard of the trollsmarter.  Very happy with the iTroll after 7 seasons.  Good luck with your unit.  Any experience with it yet that you'd care to report?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Joe is fabulous to work with.
He has been out to Utah and studied how we fish so he understands our environment and then builds a product for our needs/wants.
(03-06-2024, 01:39 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 12:43 AM)petty4life Wrote: I was looking into putting a throttle control on my kicker and looked at the itroll and troll master,  then in my research I found the trollsmarter and ended up buying it
I started off with the Troll Master and immediately sold it and then bought the iTroll.  Never heard of the trollsmarter.  Very happy with the iTroll after 7 seasons.  Good luck with your unit.  Any experience with it yet that you'd care to report?
Dubob I haven’t had the boat out yet to try it out

I heard remote troll is working on a throttle control so you can steer and control throttle with same unit
(03-08-2024, 04:47 PM)petty4life Wrote: I heard remote troll is working on a throttle control so you can steer and control throttle with same unit
If one doesn't have an electric trolling motor up front, that would be a good feature to have.  But for those of us that do have the electric up front and understand the advantages of steering with it, steering with the rear kicker is not needed.  Know what I mean Vern?  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
When I troll, I have a 15 HP Pro Kicker for 80% of the "push" and the alternator keeps all of my electronics going. I use my 36v Minn Kota for steering and the remaining 20% of my trolling speed, which really allows for me to fine tune. That has pretty much eliminated my need for the iTroll.

I've also gotten so used to trolling this way, that I disconnected the tie-bar between my main and kicker. The kicker is always pointed straight ahead, no matter what. If I were limping the boat back to the ramp and need to steer (it's a 2024, so this hasn't been an issue, but never say never), I use main as a rudder, if I am trolling the electric does the steering.
(03-08-2024, 09:45 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: When I troll, I have a 15 HP Pro Kicker for 80% of the "push" and the alternator keeps all of my electronics going. I use my 36v Minn Kota for steering and the remaining 20% of my trolling speed, which really allows for me to fine tune. That has pretty much eliminated my need for the iTroll.

I've also gotten so used to trolling this way, that I disconnected the tie-bar between my main and kicker. The kicker is always pointed straight ahead, no matter what. If I were limping the boat back to the ramp and need to steer (it's a 2024, so this hasn't been an issue, but never say never), I use main as a rudder, if I am trolling the electric does the steering.
Nothing wrong with your process.  The MAIN reason I use and like the iTroll is for the much more precise speed control I get with the iTroll.  The Mercury stick control up front sucks at that on my boat.  Push with the kicker, control speed with the iTroll, steer with the Minn Kota.  Fish on!  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah