Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard inlet
When is a good time to start going after walleyes. I don't have a boat so shore fishing it is. Thank you
(03-06-2024, 05:23 AM)BrownTR Wrote: When is a good time to start going after walleyes. I don't have a boat so shore fishing it is. Thank you

The walleye spawn cycle is triggered by a combination of lengthening daylight hours and water temps.  The timing is getting about right but water temps are still a bit cool.  Actual spawning begins after water temps pass 45 degrees and head toward 50...and can last up to a month or so.  

Last reported water temps for the main lake were still hovering around 40...which usually triggers a prespawn bite.  But the water coming in over the baffles could be either colder or warmer than the main lake.  No reliable reports yet.  However, the best time to go fishing is whenever you can.  So it would not be unreasonable to go down and make a few casts right about daybreak...or just before dark.  That is when they are liable to be most active.  However, the snaggers are active all day.

EDIT:  I am attaching an excerpt from my chapter on Walleyes.  It should provide a bit more useful info.

Attached Files
.pdf   WILLARD WALLEYES SEASONAL.pdf (Size: 434.57 KB / Downloads: 49)
(03-06-2024, 05:23 AM)BrownTR Wrote: When is a good time to start going after walleyes. I don't have a boat so shore fishing it is. Thank you
The inlet isn't the only spot you can score walleyes from the bank. It can be quite crowded there. I would suggest driving around the backside and hit the dike. Any spots that the water goes up to the rocks can be productive. The southwest corner can be good. Not sure how good the road is past the southwest corner as it has been a bit since I have been back there. You can walk on the top of the dike and hit spots. Dawn and dusk are best times, but if it is overcast, you can catch them during the day. Prespawn bite can be tricky and a sensitive rod is a must. Good luck on your quest.
Gabe
Like others have said, the inlet channel isnt always the best place to try and catch walleyes at Willard. During pre-spawn the fish usually are not to far away from where they end up spawning. The SW corner, SE corner of freeway bay, and light pole are good areas the walleyes will stage in. I personally like to throw blade baits, rippin raps, and 3-4" swimbaits. Watch a few youtube videos on how to fish blades and rippin raps and you'll be surprised at how much more effecting they can be during pre-spawn than traditional slow rolling stuffs.
Thank you for all the responses. Appreciated it
After my first reply, and after seeing some of the other responses, I thought you might benefit from some additional info on places to access shore fishing...either inside the parks or  free outside the parks.  Here are a couple of other things I have put together that might help.  There are LOTS of spots to fish from shore.

Attached Files
.pdf   2. AREAS & MAPS.pdf (Size: 6.5 MB / Downloads: 75)
.pdf   WILLARD BAY SHORE ACCESS.pdf (Size: 877.96 KB / Downloads: 53)
Good info