Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting my fix
Can't believe it's still cold and raining. Yes I know it's just March. But I want fishing. I'm not as tough as some like John, and Robert. 
I've  decided to get out some frozen perch and shrimp, (bought that) and going to make some jambalaya. 
 Now that's the way to eat fish.
How do you use your fish?

[Image: 1709851046799610028280426228190.jpg]
"How do you use your fish?"

The few fish that I keep are mostly either given away (to those who love fish) or used for sturgeon bait.
My family loves fried fish. That is what happens to most of the fish I keep. Trout get smoked. I still keep only a small percentage of those I catch.
Had a can of Costco sardines for lunch today. Just finished a big jar of Vita pickled herring.

Frankly, I'd starve if I tried to live on the fish I catch.

Edit to add: That jambalaya looks fabulous
(03-07-2024, 07:03 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Can't believe it's still cold and raining. Yes I know it's just March. But I want fishing. I'm not as tough as some like John, and Robert. 
I've  decided to get out some frozen perch and shrimp, (bought that) and going to make some jambalaya. 
 Now that's the way to eat fish.
How do you use your fish?

[Image: 1709851046799610028280426228190.jpg]
Any chance I can get an invite to come join you?  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That does look good.
Funny, Robert invited me to go to Deer Creek yesterday with him. My fish finder broke last week, so I purchased a new Garmin Echomap 126SV and a Panoptic transducer. He spent the day showing me how his works and how to use it. I have been working setting the system up on my boat. Can't wait to put it to use.
We caught a lot of average rainbows, they all went back. That's what I do with rainbows - kokanee however is another story.
Panko Parmesan crusted fried fish or fish tacos if it’s WB, perch or crappie. Cedar planked salmon. 98.3 percent of all trout get thrown back. Those that do make it home get grilled. I need to add your jambalaya recipe. It looks fabulous!

EDIT*** How did I forget ceviché?? Ceviché, ceviché, ceviché!!
Perch chowder, fish tacos, Parmesan Alfredo sauce with /fish over pasta. Deep fried, coconut perch done in air fryer, gumbo or jambalaya, beer battered fried with chips, to name just a few. I love Perch and most other fish . Love to cook and love to eat em!! Now I’m getting hungry!!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(03-09-2024, 02:42 AM)Mildog Wrote: Perch chowder, fish tacos, Parmesan Alfredo sauce with /fish over pasta. Deep fried, coconut perch done in air fryer, gumbo or jambalaya, beer battered fried with chips, to name just a few. I love Perch and most other fish . Love to cook and love to eat em!! Now I’m getting hungry!!

So how do you care for your kokanees?  I love to smoke them and some I have bottled.
Smoked and crispy skin fried trout.
[Image: 20231021-165219.jpg]

This process is olive oil fried to crisp the skin, then into a butter spoon over to finish.  Pin bones pulled prior to cook and rib bones pulled before serving... Masta Style!!!

Enjoy.
[Image: 57119369979-02-B0-EBD7-E6-D3-49-BA-A52-A...-A09-F.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0497.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0685.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3055.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3396.jpg]

Kokanee Baked or on grill with a mayo Aoli topping, sounds weird, but it’s an awesome recipe that I got many years ago from a friend in Alaska. People that tell me they don’t like fish go crazy for it as do people that like “salmon”. I do a lot of smoked, also make homemade lox and do bottled. Great for salmon patties, salmon salad and sandwiches. I make chowder with kokes and or plain Kokanee as well. We eat Kokanee as Sashimi (raw) and poke bowls.** disclaimer I follow FDA guidelines that says it must have been frozen -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time) I bought freezer thermometer to confirm my freezer gets that cold it gets to -10, we usually wait 2 weeks. Pathogens and potential parasites are neutralized. Most Sushi is made with Saltwater fish which have “less” potential issues and contrary to what a lot of people say, often it has been flash frozen at super low temps which makes it safer to eat and doesn’t change the characteristics like freezing at lower temps does. To do that takes very special commercial equipment. I have eaten koke “raw” after following FDA guidelines without any issue for years. Check for yourself and Do so at your own risk level.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(03-09-2024, 02:19 PM)ReelMasta Wrote: Smoked and crispy skin fried trout.
[Image: 20231021-165219.jpg]

This process is olive oil fried to crisp the skin, then into a butter spoon over to finish.  Pin bones pulled prior to cook and rib bones pulled before serving... Masta Style!!!

Enjoy.
Wow that looks great! Thanks for sharing.