Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin Livescope question.
I am looking to get into the Livescope game and was wondering. Will the Livescope system run on it's own or do I need to get the transducer too?

The main plan is to use this unit for maps and the Livescope.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(03-14-2024, 05:38 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I am looking to get into the Livescope game and was wondering. Will the Livescope system run on it's own or do I need to get the transducer too?

The Livescope "system" consists of the GLS-10 (black box), and either the LVS-32 or LVS-34 transducer.  Both are needed to operate.
(03-14-2024, 12:25 PM)Coho975 Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 05:38 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I am looking to get into the Livescope game and was wondering. Will the Livescope system run on it's own or do I need to get the transducer too?

The Livescope "system" consists of the GLS-10 (black box), and either the LVS-32 or LVS-34 transducer.  Both are needed to operate.

Coho is right, you will also need a compatible garmin screen to view it on. The Echomap series and others are compatible.
You will also need a way to mount the transducer, depending on your use case. Bass guys put theirs on the trolling motor, because they spend all of their time at the front of the boat.

For trolling, I would be curious to see what guys are doing to side or rear-mount their transducers. I've seen some very ungainly setups, and very few that I like.

The bigger your screen, the better. You don't want to be squinting at a 9" screen trying to see what is going on.
I should know better than to try to ask questions in the middle of the night. Lol

I am looking to get the 126sv finder head and the live scope plus system to be able to see the fish in real time. I forgot to say that it is the traditional transducer (GT56) that I was asking if I need for the live scope to work.

Thanks for the help and responses.
(03-14-2024, 02:55 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: You will also need a way to mount the transducer, depending on your use case. Bass guys put theirs on the trolling motor, because they spend all of their time at the front of the boat.

For trolling, I would be curious to see what guys are doing to side or rear-mount their transducers. I've seen some very ungainly setups, and very few that I like.

The bigger your screen, the better. You don't want to be squinting at a 9" screen trying to see what is going on.

I mounted my livescope transducer on a pole on the starboard side near the captain seat so I can turn it to scan forward, sideways and to the rear as desired. We'll see how it works, just got the system all installed, haven't had a chance to get it on the water.
(03-14-2024, 04:58 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I should know better than to try to ask questions in the middle of the night. Lol

I am looking to get the 126sv finder head and the live scope plus system to be able to see the fish in real time. I forgot to say that it is the traditional transducer (GT56) that I was asking if I need for the live scope to work.

I have the 126xv and the GT56 - that will only get you traditional sonar/side/down imaging.

For FFS (forward facing sonar, not my other favorite use for that acronym), you will need a black box and a FFS transducer, like the aforementioned LVS34.

So, in summary, the screen you have now will work, but you've got some money to spend on transducers and peripheral equipment before you have LiveScope.

Once you do have LiveScope, you are then a "cheater" and no longer a "real fisherman" /s
(03-14-2024, 06:34 PM)BYUHunter Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 04:58 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I should know better than to try to ask questions in the middle of the night. Lol

I have the 126xv and the GT56 - that will only get you traditional sonar/side/down imaging.

For FFS (forward facing sonar, not my other favorite use for that acronym), you will need a black box and a FFS transducer, like the aforementioned LVS34.

So, in summary, the screen you have now will work, but you've got some money to spend on transducers and peripheral equipment before you have LiveScope.

Once you do have LiveScope, you are then a "cheater" and no longer a "real fisherman" /s

We are all cheaters when it comes to the latest and greatest technology. It started with Treble hooks, pop gear, Down riggers, boats designed for just fishing, 100 hp 200hp 300hp is never enough, and now the latest  in Down Front and Side sonar if you don't have it yet you probably will.
With the way I fish I need every "cheat" that is available. Lol
If you need a compatible unit, you can get a Garmin Echomap Ultra 106SV at Cabela's/BPS for &899. The unit has a 10" screen, side imaging transducer, and is Live Scope compatabile with the right transducer and other accessories. I doubt that I will ever add Live Scope, but was looking for a side imaging unit w/ at least a 10" screen. When this came up, I grabbed one. Check it out if you are looking for a unit!!
I will chime in I recently went down to lake Powell chasing stripers with a friend who has the live scope and I do not while hunting for a school of hungry he started casting to suspend fish he was seeing on the live scope and started reeling in slab crappie long story short he was catching 2 to my one sure wish I had it on that trip
(01-25-2024, 06:52 PM)Kent Wrote: From a FaceBook report from fishing Pineview yesterday,

"Ice was great and weather was overcast at 30°F, with a light snowfall. Ice was 4 inches solid, clear with 8 inches of crust on top.
Walked in top of the crust and never broke through the top."

(03-14-2024, 02:55 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: You will also need a way to mount the transducer, depending on your use case. Bass guys put theirs on the trolling motor, because they spend all of their time at the front of the boat.

None of these are inexpensive options, but they are all well made and quite functional. The ArcLab is a great option if you want to use it through the ice as well. My ice shuttle is an ArcLab setup and I use the Trax Tech setup on my boat. If I had to do it over I would have started with the ArcLab, it would have served both purposes. These are all well made machined aluminum options, there is a lot of 3D printed junk out there. (IMHO)

ArcLab
Trax Tech
Brew City
TKI

I'm sure there are other good options, these are the ones I'm familiar with.
Thanks for all of the advice everybody. I did end up buying the 126SV model with the live scope plus system. It should be here in a couple of days and then I can work on getting it mounted up and get out on the water.
I have Garmin 10 inch screen down and side transducer and Panoptix livescope. I homemade a system using telescopic aluminum pole to aim it , I attached it to my boat with ram ball mounts, I have it near my drivers seat on starboard side, I can look forward side and back. The homemade system
Works pretty good. I am considering upgrading to the brew city pole set up. They cost way more than I think they should! A buddy has lowrance livescope system with 16 inch screen and Brew city pole on track mount so he can change positions on the boat.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I wonder if we will get to the point that a record fish is not able to be entered as a record if caught while using all this new technology, similar to how record big game cannot be entered in to record books if radios or phones were used during the take of said big game?
(03-19-2024, 02:14 AM)MrShane Wrote: I wonder if we will get to the point that a record fish is not able to be entered as a record if caught while using all this new technology, similar to how record big game cannot be entered in to record books if radios or phones were used during the take of said big game?

Possible. They have been banned on all the sanctioned Musky tournaments.
with live scope it just shows where the fish are at it does not teach you how to catch them.
True that! I had my toughest trip in Powell a week or so ago! We founds lots of fish! On and off weather hurt us. When they are more active look forward to finding them then! ?
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life