Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Fishing Fling...
Last night I ran down to the launch at 6:30, it was too late, but it was all the time I had so I wanted to use it wisely... I ended up fishing a few minutes later, love having a boat that will get up and move... Anyway right off I had a nice carp grab it and take off like a rocket putting off a wake as it headed for deeper water... turned into a fun fight and even though it wrapped around the anchor rope, I was able to land it... Next cast I missed a channel that probably wasn't too big, rebaited and casted back out... This time a polite 22.5" channel grabbed it and I had a great fight with that one..  Got a second fish on my contest scoreboard, so I think I beat my last summer total already, except last year was 27" in one fish...  Anyway back to fishing, within ten minutes I had another cat grab it and this one felt big, I fought that fish for several minutes before I could get it close enough to the boat to finally horse it up to where I could see it... I was really disappointed, it ended up measuring 23", but it sure fought a lot bigger...  Next I missed another channel that rolled over on it's back and stuck up it's middle fin above the water surface as it spit out my hook and took off... Not a very polite fish...  Anyway then the yellowbellies showed up and I caught 4 and missed more from there until about 7:45 when it was getting dark enough I needed to get home... Fun night, not often that I get over ten hits in an hour...  The fish are shallow, in the warmest water... They liked nightcrawlers and I did get one channel and a mudcat on fresh carp chunks...  Fish seem healthy so far, so I hope the sickness is past and this year will be better than the last couple have been...  Nothing with much size so far, but it's still fun to catch the torquey catfish, and turbo carp... They can really make my reels sing, and I like that song... Anyway in case you're still waiting for the fish to get active, they are... Time to go fishing... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Tugs is TUGS!

Nice that you got out before the rain/snow showers return this weekend.
Well done Jeff! I'm glad your few minutes turned into so much fun.
Thanks Jim and Jill, it was fun to get out and catch a few... This weather has sure been nice, been so tempted to burn some vacation and enjoy it while it's good weather and better than usual fishing... but I'll probably get one more day in before I play hookey... Later J
Nice Jeff. Can't complain about getting a fish in the boat. Always better than a good day of work IMHO. Your stories of catching and the bite is on its getting me antsy. It's much easier to handle not fishing when it's snowing but with these nice days it's not making it easy lol
Justin I know were back to stormy and cold weather, but I'm sure when the sun shines and it warms a little the fish will be back on the bite... Hope you are getting to the point that you can get out and have some fun... Good luck on getting out... Later Jeff
Great info Jeff!  Looks like I will need to get out there and pull a few in for a fish fry!

Mike
(03-26-2024, 12:35 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Justin I know were back to stormy and cold weather, but I'm sure when the sun shines and it warms a little the fish will be back on the bite... Hope you are getting to the point that you can get out and have some fun...  Good luck on getting out... Later Jeff

I am on "offical" spring break starting Thur. Won't feel much like spring but there are some ice off opportunities that we are going to hit despite the rough weather forecast
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(03-27-2024, 01:53 AM)gmwahl Wrote: Great info Jeff!  Looks like I will need to get out there and pull a few in for a fish fry!

Mike

Hey Mike, the fish seem to be fair weather lovers like me... Get a nice sunny day and they really go crazy... They look pretty good this year, I haven't seen any of the skinny sick looking fish I've seen the last few years.. Hope that holds up...  I'm not sure how long they will stay in the shallows, but they seem to be there on the warm afternoons lately... Good luck if you run over... If you need a daily report let me know, I owe you a bunch of them...  Later Jeff

(03-27-2024, 03:36 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 12:35 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Justin I know were back to stormy and cold weather, but I'm sure when the sun shines and it warms a little the fish will be back on the bite... Hope you are getting to the point that you can get out and have some fun...  Good luck on getting out... Later Jeff

I am on "offical" spring break starting Thur. Won't feel much like spring but there are some ice off opportunities that we are going to hit despite the rough weather forecast

Hey Lance, good luck with your break.... Maybe you need to take today on break and tell them you'll work tomorrow... weather report didn't look too promising for the next few days... Thinking I should have taken off work today to get a good weather day to play... Oh well missed it... Later Jeff