Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvie Report
Had planned to go and fish Starvie Tuesday and Wednesday. Got there Monday afternoon to my reserved cabin - to discover I was the only visitor to the park. Not a single camper, not a single boat. Nobody. Even the showers were locked up and the dumpsters still turned upside down for the winter. 

Tuesday dawned at 30 degrees and a mild wind. I let it warm up a bit and got on the water at 9. By then, there was a "walleye chop" on the pond and I headed for the river inlet hoping to find stained water and walleye. Found the stained water. Not a sign of fish. Dragged a worm and threw plastic in 6 to 30 feet of water. Nada. 

Moved to Rabbit Gulch about noon. Found much clearer water at the same 43 degrees as the river arm. Dragged and pitched again. Nothing on my finders or my lines. Headed for the other end of the lake. Pulled cranks in the same 6 to 30 feet of water. Finally saw another boat and checked with them. They were fishing for 'bows and had one nibble. 

By now, the wind was coming on strong and within a minute or so, there were 3-footers and whitecaps. Both boats made a run for the ramp. I had to crawl along at 5 mph or get pounded to death but still had waves crashing over my gunwales onto me. Could move only directly into or across the waves. Quartering was flat dangerous. 

Took me four tries to get my boat to the courtesy dock because of the wind, and then three tries to get on the trailer. Had about five gallons of water in the bilge. 

Wednesday morning, my clothes still wet and the wind still blowing - at 34 degrees. Still not a soul anywhere in the park but me. Realized how much trouble I'd be in if I had boat trouble or fell in. Decided to pack it up and come home. Discretion and valor. 

I noted that they have built a fifth cabin. This one is much larger, with a wheelchair ramp and what looks from the outside to be a sleeping loft. About twice the size of the original four. The ospreys are back and nesting.
Thanks for the report Rocky, sounded like an adventure.. Sorry it wasn't more productive for you... Thanks for sharing the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Bummer.  My commiserations.  Starvy can be fickle...like all waters.

In years past...before the perch decline...there were more walleyes and bigger walleyes...and they seemed to be more fisherman friendly during the early months.  However, I have always done better from about the first or second week of June...post spawn and after the water gets over 60-65 degrees. 

I commend you for letting discretion outweigh the valor and getting off the water before you couldn't.  Us old guys gotta remind ourselves sometimes that we ain't as tough as we used to was...and we ain't immortal.
I do like Starvie in the warmer months. Especially for smallies. It's funny that the DWR folks tell us to please keep as many small wallies from Starvie as we can because they're overpopulated. According to them. You'd think the bottom was paved with 'em.

It's a bit far for a day trip for me, so I always book a cabin. Thankfully, they no longer require that cumbersome $100 cleaning deposit, nor do they
require an inspection before you leave. Those were always a pain in the keister just trying to find somebody.

Pat, I got past my expected expiration date 50 years ago when I left Vietnam, but that experience definitely taught me exactly how far to press things. Three-foot whitecaps of 43-degree water and 20-mph winds is waaay past that point.
(04-10-2024, 09:53 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I do like Starvie in the warmer months. Especially for smallies. It's funny that the DWR folks tell us to please keep as many small wallies from Starvie as we can because they're overpopulated. According to them. You'd think the bottom was paved with 'em.

It's a bit far for a day trip for me, so I always book a cabin. Thankfully, they no longer require that cumbersome $100 cleaning deposit, nor do they
require an inspection before you leave. Those were always a pain in the keister just trying to find somebody.

Pat, I got past my expected expiration date 50 years ago when I left Vietnam, but that experience definitely taught me exactly how far to press things. Three-foot whitecaps of 43-degree water and 20-mph winds is waaay past that point.

There is an overabundance of micro wallies in Starvation...much like it was before the perch magically appeared and they started growing bigger.  They can grow to "underfooter" size on aquatic invertebrates but without a hefty supply of small fishies to feed on their growth slows way down.  Back in the early 2000s, (B.P....before perch) the state actually hired some netting crews to remove a lot of the small walleyes to reduce the food demands on available resources.  Then perch showed up and the smallies and wallies grew bigger.  Now if they would just plant some more chubs...or more perch...  But in this trout-oriented state we know that ain't gonna happen.  So enjoy the rainbows and lament the walleyes.
Yup. "trout-centric" says it all. Or almost all.

Witness Echo, where the walleye MUST be eliminated in favor of hatchery rainbows.

(Admittedly, the walleye there are most likely the result of the contemptible bucket brigade.)
(04-10-2024, 08:01 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Had planned to go and fish Starvie Tuesday and Wednesday. Got there Monday afternoon to my reserved cabin - to discover I was the only visitor to the park. Not a single camper, not a single boat. Nobody. Even the showers were locked up and the dumpsters still turned upside down for the winter. 

Tuesday dawned at 30 degrees and a mild wind. I let it warm up a bit and got on the water at 9. By then, there was a "walleye chop" on the pond and I headed for the river inlet hoping to find stained water and walleye. Found the stained water. Not a sign of fish. Dragged a worm and threw plastic in 6 to 30 feet of water. Nada. 

Moved to Rabbit Gulch about noon. Found much clearer water at the same 43 degrees as the river arm. Dragged and pitched again. Nothing on my finders or my lines. Headed for the other end of the lake. Pulled cranks in the same 6 to 30 feet of water. Finally saw another boat and checked with them. They were fishing for 'bows and had one nibble. 

By now, the wind was coming on strong and within a minute or so, there were 3-footers and whitecaps. Both boats made a run for the ramp. I had to crawl along at 5 mph or get pounded to death but still had waves crashing over my gunwales onto me. Could move only directly into or across the waves. Quartering was flat dangerous. 

Took me four tries to get my boat to the courtesy dock because of the wind, and then three tries to get on the trailer. Had about five gallons of water in the bilge. 

Wednesday morning, my clothes still wet and the wind still blowing - at 34 degrees. Still not a soul anywhere in the park but me. Realized how much trouble I'd be in if I had boat trouble or fell in. Decided to pack it up and come home. Discretion and valor. 

I noted that they have built a fifth cabin. This one is much larger, with a wheelchair ramp and what looks from the outside to be a sleeping loft. About twice the size of the original four. The ospreys are back and nesting.

I think I might have passed you as you were coming off Highway 40 about 3:30.

I fished Rabbit Gulch and Indian Bay yesterday and the weather was great, not so the fishing.
I was fly fishing in a float tube and managed to hook a few fish but never got any of them in the net.  I have a hard time up there until the water gets up in the 50's.

Glad you had a safe trip even if it wasn't very productive.
This state is definitely “trout-centric” still, but I do see some progress being made. Anyone that tangles with a good wiper will wonder why they thought trout were so “tough”. Taste a whole lot better too!

Glad you got off the lake safely. Those situations can get out of hand quickly when the wind starts whipping. Getting beat to death by waves is just as scary a feeling as skidding off a muddy road in the mtns and being helpless to prevent it.
Thanks for the update, sorry the lake didnt cooperate with your plans, they seldom do, gives me better idea for my plans this weekend, I've had times its best to just hide and wait it out rather than fighting it,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
My parents used to have a cabin at Clarks camp on Strawberry, so I fished there quite a bit. Years ago, before they doubled the size of Strawberry, I was fishing in a little 12' aluminum boat and got caught in a storm (I waited too long to head to shore) needless to say I was very lucky to make it to shore. Ever since that day when fishing a reservoir, I am always aware of the wind. When the wind picks up a little, I'm heading for calmer water or off the water.

I don't know what kind of boat you have but I understand what you are saying about going slower into the waves. I have a 16' Bass boat that has a 'V' front but flat toward the rear. If there is a fairly good chop on the water and I go fast it just beats you to death. So, I usually go slower, so I don't have so much water spraying and the hard thumps when hitting the waves.

Glad you made it safely and sorry the fishing sucked especially when reserving a cabin and a long drive. Also, it's hard for one person to load their boat in the wind, been there done that.
My boat is also a 16' tinny. It's a Tracker Classic XL. Really, it's a modified jon boat hull. Not much bow V. Great boat for many things, but big waves is NOT one of them.

Control is almost impossible at slow speeds and a strong crosswind. Maneuvering around a dock or trying to get on the trailer can be a booger. I actually got it between the trailer bunks twice but then the wind blew the bow hard left and I had to quickly back out again. Finally got it in place by approaching at almost ramming speed. Not for the faint of heart.

As I sometimes say, I was at the limit of my liabilities. LOL!
Mine is a Bass Tracker Panfish 16 same body design as yours except I steer mine with a handle/shaft on the left side by the front seat. I plan on fishing Echo and Rockport quite a bit this year, maybe see you on the water. My 'Bucket List' is to catch some Crappie. I've mostly fished for trout in the past so I'm a rookie at panfish.
We were there Friday afternoon/Saturday sun up to sundown and found the same results you did. Friday afternoon was spent in Saluratus. We found water from 43 up to 55 in the mud line. Saturday we ran to the Strawberry inlet and fished the bridge to the inlet. I only found walleye in one location, at least they looked liked walleye on the Livescope, they would not eat. We fished rock, sand, mud, deep, mid, shallow- pitched jigs, threw cranks, dragged bouncers and pulled cranks. Never landed one fish- got three hits. I’ve been trying to figure out the walleye on Starvation for 3 years now. I’ll have 1 day I catch fish out of 5. Might be time to move on. The weather was pretty decent. We got the normal Starvation winds, but nothing over 20. After an intense situation on Powell a few years back, with the family aboard my 16’ boat, my wife told me we needed a bigger boat. I granted “her” wish and now we have a 20’ deep V with a 200 hp motor.  I don’t think Starv is big enough to generate a pucker factor like with my 16 footer. We love it. Not only is it safer, it has way more room and is incredibly stable. We also stayed in the cabin. There was one other group in the campground and about 5 boats on the lake. That new cabin is a mini house that has a kitchen and a bathroom. It’ll be nice.
(04-10-2024, 08:01 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Had planned to go and fish Starvie Tuesday and Wednesday. Got there Monday afternoon to my reserved cabin - to discover I was the only visitor to the park. Not a single camper, not a single boat. Nobody. Even the showers were locked up and the dumpsters still turned upside down for the winter. 

Thank you for the report. I have wanted to stay at the cabins and do exactly what you are doing. I enjoy the walleye fishing but am pretty inexperienced up there compared to most on the board. I too have been pushing the wind and waves. I fish alone a lot and need to listen and learn.
(04-15-2024, 01:04 AM)Redrebel Wrote:

Thank you for the report. I have wanted to stay at the cabins and do exactly what you are doing. I enjoy the walleye fishing but am pretty inexperienced up there compared to most on the board. I too have been pushing the wind and waves. I fish alone a lot and need to listen and learn.
You can learn a lot about starvation walleye by attending Rocky mountain tackle meetings and check out YouTube for starvation.
(04-15-2024, 01:26 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 01:04 AM)Redrebel Wrote:

You can learn a lot about starvation walleye by attending Rocky mountain tackle meetings and check out YouTube for starvation.
I agree. It’s actually Rocky Mountain Anglers. The club meets the second Tuesday of the month at Scheels, 7:00 in the upstairs meeting rooms.  The club has gotten to be more of an all species focus, but you can learn a lot and meet some great people. My son and I are members and make most of the meetings and outings. It’s a great local resource and open to all.
(04-14-2024, 11:00 PM)MACMAN Wrote: We were there Friday afternoon/Saturday sun up to sundown and found the same results you did. Friday afternoon was spent in Saluratus. We found water from 43 up to 55 in the mud line. Saturday we ran to the Strawberry inlet and fished the bridge to the inlet. I only found walleye in one location, at least they looked liked walleye on the Livescope, they would not eat. We fished rock, sand, mud, deep, mid, shallow- pitched jigs, threw cranks, dragged bouncers and pulled cranks. Never landed one fish- got three hits. I’ve been trying to figure out the walleye on Starvation for 3 years now. I’ll have 1 day I catch fish out of 5. Might be time to move on. The weather was pretty decent. We got the normal Starvation winds, but nothing over 20. After an intense situation on Powell a few years back, with the family aboard my 16’ boat, my wife told me we needed a bigger boat. I granted “her” wish and now we have a 20’ deep V with a 200 hp motor.  I don’t think Starv is big enough to generate a pucker factor like with my 16 footer. We love it. Not only is it safer, it has way more room and is incredibly stable. We also stayed in the cabin. There was one other group in the campground and about 5 boats on the lake. That new cabin is a mini house that has a kitchen and a bathroom. It’ll be nice.

I fished Saturday with same results, had 2 hits, couldnt even get a bow to play, the fish were hiding good, didnt mark many,  seemed like no one was doing very good, nobody stayed in one spot very long, with water upper 40s, they arent active much yet.  look like with temps may be it will be in the low 50s this weekend, hopefully better, thinking sand wash maybe,  but it was a beautiful day and I was on the water fishin, got the sunburn to prove it.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]