Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When do you plan to go to willard next?
I've been lurking in the forum for about a year and still learning. Could use some more hands on experience with someone that wouldn't mind me tagging along. I have my own fishing Kayak and am planning to go out tomorrow April 11th after 4pm. Maybe that doesn't work for you that day, but if you would be available another time. I'm sure we can work something out.

A little about me. I work at Hill Air Force Base and have 4 kids. I'm currently in school again which has been taking up a lot of my time but I still try to get out on the water when I can.
Hey welcome to BFT, I work for Hill AFB as well... I don't fish Willard a lot, but a good place to start on Willard is the north dike. If you want to cast jigs at it or troll a flig or bottom bouncer with a night crawler or minnow just off the bottom of the rock wall you will likely pick up some mixed bag of fish... That's where I go when I can't find fish at other locations and it usually avoids the skunk for me.. Good luck Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks so much. I'm trying apply what I've learned in my electronics and how to troll better.

What speed would you recommend to catch catfish this time of year and does that speed change?
(04-11-2024, 04:15 PM)twoblueeyes78 Wrote: Thanks so much.  I'm trying apply what I've learned in my electronics and how to troll better.

What speed would you recommend to catch catfish this time of year and does that speed change?

Welcome to BFT as well. Great to have you. 

It really depends on what you are fishing for and with what as bait. With the colder temps, fish tend to a bit slower than the summertime bite. If the fish appear to be higher in the water column try to fish that column area. It really just can vary from one time to another. Air pressure changes and winds can also affect where to find the fish. 

Keep watch here, you can learn so much from what others may share.
(04-11-2024, 04:15 PM)twoblueeyes78 Wrote: Thanks so much.  I'm trying apply what I've learned in my electronics and how to troll better.

In the cooler waters before summer...anything under about 65 degrees...trolling for cats will largely be dragging something close to the bottom...usually at something under 1 mph.  I do a lot by dragging fligs (floating jigs) baited with crawler or chub meat...at between .5 and .75 mph.  And sometimes they will hit after  you stop.  

Once the water warms to late spring/early summer temps the cats are more active and more likely to hit crawler rigs and crankbaits being trolled at higher speeds for walleyes or wipers.  Along with speed are location and depth.  There seem to be a few spots around the lake that usually have more kitties than others.  And they may also be shallower in some areas of the lake than others.  A good sonar and some experimentation is often vital.

Here is my writeup on Willard Bay Cats to supply some more background info.  LINK TO CATFISH