Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report
Well let's keep it simple. We caught over a hundred fishing ice off at the berry.....

Which would be a huge fat lie...

We hit it last Friday. I took the day off work. Figured we had ice off timed perfectly. But a big front was moving in. Stormy and windy. The wind had pushed ice into a couple of our favorite spots. So we set up in chicken creek. Soon we were joined by many others. Doesn't anybody work on Fridays ?

We caught a couple there but I really did not want to combat fish so we started moving. Picked up a few here and there but everytime we got settled to get serious trucks started to pull in. Same over on Solider Creek. 

I don't think we caught over 12. Should have done better even with the front. The storm finally pushed us out.

Fish caught on all the normal strawberry rigs. Blacks tubes and marabou jigs, silver bling and streamers.

I was pretty frustrated when we left cause it is Cookies favorite location for early ice off fishing. We don't show the all the other people in our video and we still had a lot of fun but I admit that I let the frustration get to me when the last truck pulled up right next to us and started setting up a tent - oh well they needed some place to fish too I guess.

We did pick up a Jetboil stove at a thrift store. Been wanting one. It worked great. Nice addition to our adventures 

The next day I had friends go up and they tore em up in the same spots with the same gear.

Anyway here is the video.

https://youtu.be/IxrPJQAukD8?si=cK1pHdxcqFxB6V-d

I like the video mostly because of cookies suprise catch of the day and the amazing views as the storm pushed through.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
12 was my best day ever on Strawberry, except for crawdads. I call it a win, hard-fought against adversity
(05-03-2024, 02:25 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Well let's keep it simple. We caught over a hundred fishing ice off at the berry.....
 Soon we were joined by many others. Doesn't anybody work on Fridays ?

Fun Times, soon I will Berry it Big Grin now that I finally got the truck woes behind me. Even going up in the middle of the week I wonder if anyone works
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I love the Berry.

My dad has a hard time getting down to the lake because he's older. Is the first spot you went easy for an older guy to access? If so, would you mind sharing where?
I had the same experience Friday (we didn’t fish Chicken Creek though, so at least we didn’t add to your frustration). Between 3 of us, we caught 10 fish in 5 hours…not what I was expecting by far. Have to admit though, likely that front pushing through shut them off, but that was the day I could get my son to go where he had time. I’m sure they killed it Sat with much better weather.

Tried a variety of spoons and jigs….nothing. Tried worms inflated with air…nada. Natural scented greenish-yellow power bait was what they marginally wanted.

(05-05-2024, 09:59 PM)War Beaver Wrote: I love the Berry.

My dad has a hard time getting down to the lake because he's older. Is the first spot you went easy for an older guy to access? If so, would you mind sharing where?

There are numerous areas at Strawberry where you can literally drive to the lakeshore.  No hiking needed.
(05-05-2024, 09:59 PM)War Beaver Wrote: I love the Berry.

That first spot is the nail road for Chicken Creek. Good road. Asphalt parking and a vault bathroom. A few spots that gave a gentle walk down to the shore. Only issue is that it is very popular. You could also easily get to the ladders. 

As another mentioned there are actually a lot of good access points. I dont know if the road is open over to Renegade yet but that area has some good access
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew