Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SH - last week
Buddy & I went down to fish Sun-thru Tues.  Water temps started at 61+, ended at 64+.  Fish weren't exactly jumping in the boat, but we got our share.  Had to work for each and every one.  The average largie seemed bigger than other years, at a husky 15-16".  Didn't catch any bulging females, and very few males were squirting.  Only a few fish were caught shallow (on white spinner-baits), with most coming from the 20-35' range on Bitsy Jigs. Gorgeous air temps, not too hot/not too cool.  And no big W --- didn't even see a whitecap.  However, those big wave-making tuna boats out in the middle turn those "Wakeless Zones" even half-mile away into a D-Day landing.
(05-18-2024, 11:59 PM)perchinski Wrote: Buddy & I went down to fish Sun-thru Tues.  Water temps started at 61+, ended at 64+.  Fish weren't exactly jumping in the boat, but we got our share.  Had to work for each and every one.  The average largie seemed bigger than other years, at a husky 15-16".  Didn't catch any bulging females, and very few males were squirting.  Only a few fish were caught shallow (on white spinner-baits), with most coming from the 20-35' range on Bitsy Jigs. Gorgeous air temps, not too hot/not too cool.  And no big W --- didn't even see a whitecap.  However, those big wave-making tuna boats out in the middle turn those "Wakeless Zones" even half-mile away into a D-Day landing.

Sounds like fun.  Are you back in Utah now or just visiting?
Good to hear a report from ya. Have missed your fishing tales
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-19-2024, 02:59 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-18-2024, 11:59 PM)perchinski Wrote: Buddy & I went down to fish Sun-thru Tues.  Water temps started at 61+, ended at 64+.  Fish weren't exactly jumping in the boat, but we got our share.  Had to work for each and every one.  The average largie seemed bigger than other years, at a husky 15-16".  Didn't catch any bulging females, and very few males were squirting.  Only a few fish were caught shallow (on white spinner-baits), with most coming from the 20-35' range on Bitsy Jigs. Gorgeous air temps, not too hot/not too cool.  And no big W --- didn't even see a whitecap.  However, those big wave-making tuna boats out in the middle turn those "Wakeless Zones" even half-mile away into a D-Day landing.

Sounds like fun.  Are you back in Utah now or just visiting?

Yep, back home.  Did the San Clemente thing for a year, tho we planned on two.  Home prices went down here, up there, so that made it easier.
Anxious to get back into the swing of things, meaning my beloved smallies & perch.

Yeah, welcome to my world living in Hurricane and fishing SH on the weekly with the Little Valley power squadron washing you out and the NV drunken rental wave runners gunning at ya! We get on the water at 0600 and get off by 0900-0930 just to avoid as much of that as possible. When we go to leave there is usually a line to get in all the way out into the main hwy (and they never seem to use the 2nd gate they installed). It's gotten crazy busy there over ever since COVID hit, mostly NV plates. I agree with ya though, fish are super healthy this year thanks to 2 yrs of high water...love to see it! They've already done there thing last full-moon and are into post-spawn now, that's why you picked most up in the 20-35' range. Summer pattern is turning on!