Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Trip # 8
Been awhile since I've posted, but have kept up reading others posts. 
Hit Willard south yesterday.  Air temp at launch was 57 with about 10 mph breeze out of the north. Water surface temp in boat basin was 60, and 60-61 on main body of lake. Had lines wet at 0715.  Water was a bit choppy to start. Set up my drift in a general south west direction starting just off of the south edge of the island.  Counted about 8-10 boats out off the west edge and north edge of island. With the wind, my drift speed was .46-.85 mph.  Water depth was 24' to start and 20" when I pulled lines and motored back to deeper water. 

[Image: 08-31-May-2024.jpg]  

Just a bit over an hour after setting up, water calmed quite a bit, lowered my drift speed to .35 mph, got first hit in 21' FOW, still drifting generally north to south/west.  All catches were typical cookie cutter size Cat. 

[Image: 08a-31-May-2024.jpg]

Moved back out to 23" FOW and about 300 yards further east, more toward direct line with south marina channel.  Hooked up Cat # 2, again in the 20-21' FOW range.  

[Image: 08b-31-May-2024.jpg]

Moved out again directly north of the feed lot towers, set up in 19' FOW, slow drifted at .28 to .35 mph. Hooked up 3rd Cat.

[Image: 08c-31-May-2024.jpg]

Was about 100 yards off of the feed lot wall, 16' FOW and had hard hit and run. Got it to within about 4 feet of the boat, started reaching out with the net, biggest Wiper I've seen in several years. Saw my net, did a couple head shakes like a Large Mouth, and GONE !  Had a few other pop and drop bait strippers. 

By about 1130 was out of bait, and decided to call it a day. Not the best I've ever had, but for sure not the worst.  I guess several other anglers had decided the same cuz  there were 4 or 5 other fishing boats in various stages of loading on trailers. 
One boat must have had to come it on his bow mount. Main battery had died, so main motor wouldn't start. Glad I was already on the ramp (one closest to the bathrooms) allowing my trailer, bilge, and live well to drain. One of the guys on the dead battery boat borrowed my jumper cables. So while I got my rig all set up for the road, they jumped from the bow mount battery to the main and got the main motor started. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice to see you getting out Forest. Too bad that big wiper didn't stay hooked up for you.

I had the same thing happen to me once with my main battery...once. That's all it took for me to carry a set of cables on my boat from that point going forward. I've had to use them a time or two over the years, but mostly to help others out just like you.
Hey Paul, been up to BRBR about 4 times this year. Took home 4 skunks  Angry .  Yesterday was my 8th trip to Willard. 5 of those were skunks  Huh .  

Fortunately my small outboard can be started with pull cord.  My boat is 17 years old, remotored it in 2020. Went from original 15 HP to 25 HP. About 3 months after getting new motor, I got to Willard and motor wouldn't start, wouldn't even click over, fish finder wouldn't come on, so I knew it was a battery issue.  I pull started it.  Fired up on second pull, motor alternator put out enough juice to power the sonar, but battery would not charge. Had to pull start motor each time I had shut down out on the water. 
Went to Fred's Marine the next day and bought new battery.  Cool   So the original battery had lasted 13 years, and had only died I think cuz as it turned out, I had accidently left the boat nav lights switched on.

Cool
(06-01-2024, 06:42 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Hey Paul, been up to BRBR about 4 times this year. Took home 4 skunks  Angry .  Yesterday was my 8th trip to Willard. 5 of those were skunks  Huh .  

Fortunately my small outboard can be started with pull cord.  My boat is 17 years old, remotored it in 2020. Went from original 15 HP to 25 HP. About 3 months after getting new motor, I got to Willard and motor wouldn't start, wouldn't even click over, fish finder wouldn't come on, so I knew it was a battery issue.  I pull started it.  Fired up on second pull, motor alternator put out enough juice to power the sonar, but battery would not charge. Had to pull start motor each time I had shut down out on the water. 
Went to Fred's Marine the next day and bought new battery.  Cool   So the original battery had lasted 13 years, and had only died I think cuz as it turned out, I had accidently left the boat nav lights switched on.

I haven't been out to the Bear River since I switched jobs to one closer to home. I just don't get up that way anymore. How are the flows up there? Are they letting water down the Reeder and the other canals?
(06-01-2024, 07:06 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(06-01-2024, 06:42 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Hey Paul, been up to BRBR about 4 times this year. Took home 4 skunks  Angry .  Yesterday was my 8th trip to Willard. 5 of those were skunks  Huh .  

I haven't been out to the Bear River since I switched jobs to one closer to home. I just don't get up that way anymore. How are the flows up there? Are they letting water down the Reeder and the other canals?

As of last time I was there, 27 May, water levels were  all up to what I would estimate at about 90%. Reeder bridge area was close to full.  Lower end at bridges had one gate in each direction open about half way.  

Cool
Sure good to see a report from ya. I too have had my share of early skunks but thing have improved. I drove one day to the refuge to see if I might run into you or John but did not see either and the river looked like chocolate milk so I went and had a burger instead.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew