Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otter creek
I'm down south and with temps hitting 110 in St George decided a trip was just the thing to avoid heat. Otter is filled to the brim. Campground was full and about 20 boats were on the water. Temps in 50s at 8am launch. Just a slight breeze. Perfect. Started trolling along east side as that's where the power bait crowd was located. Nada. Decided to make my way to the west side and about halfway there we doubled up on some nice fat bows. Trolled back and forth for rest of day as bite stayed hot. The rainbows were 16-to-20-inch fat little footballs and fought like crazy. Hooked over 20 of them during the time we fished. Trolling depths were 10 to 15 and speed was 1.5 mph. Used some rabbit streamers s I tied myself and squids. Color did not matter. We were fishing 2 oz snap weights 30 to 40 feet back with a setback of 35 feet.

I'll likely hit Fish Lake and Minersville in next few days but a return to Otter is a high probability.
Nicely done..hard to beat the tugs of a nice size rainbow...to me, it seems your 35' set back is short for 10 to 15' depth, but sounds like it worked for you..I haven't fished Otter Creek for a long time, and it's known for it's good sized 'bows..good to hear they're still there, and you got into them...
Set back was 35 feet then snap weight then 30 to 40 more feet let out. That's a total of 65 to 75 feet of line out. At 1.5 mph that gets you down to 10 to 12 feet per charts. I know we were fishing a little deeper than that depth because when I hit 15 feet depth on the finder the snap weights were dragging bottom on the 75-foot total line out while 65 wouldn't. That's how I check the real depth.
Interestingly 3 oz snap weights fished to get to same depth did not catch a single fish. Distance from boat was playing a bigger role than depth. Didn't have any 1 oz weights with me to confirm that theory. I would have fished them a with total of 85 to 95 feet of line out.

I was keeping my initial set back at 35 to avoid snagging the powerbait dunkers. I would normally be a little farther back. At Jordanelle I use 40-to-50-foot setbacks before attaching snap weight.
We fished from shore using the typical powerbait, worm/marshmellow, and cheese combos without success. 6/3-6/5 in the am.

This was in several different areas on the lake the last few days. I would cast bail poles out for the kids to watch and I would cast spinners and jigs to see if I could entice a wiper.

Tough fishing. Caught 1 small rainbow with the boys.
(06-06-2024, 04:24 PM)stan55 Wrote: Set back was 35 feet then snap weight then 30 to 40 more feet let out. That's a total of 65 to 75 feet of line out. At 1.5 mph that gets you down to 10 to 12 feet per charts. I know we were fishing a little deeper than that depth because when I hit 15 feet depth on the finder the snap weights were dragging bottom on the 75-foot total line out while 65 wouldn't. That's how I check the real depth.
Interestingly 3 oz snap weights fished to get to same depth did not catch a single fish. Distance from boat was playing a bigger role than depth. Didn't have any 1 oz weights with me to confirm that theory. I would have fished them a with total of 85 to 95 feet of line out.

I was keeping my initial set back at 35 to avoid snagging the powerbait dunkers. I would normally be a little farther back. At Jordanelle I use 40-to-50-foot setbacks before attaching snap weight.

I agree with your "distance from boat was playing a bigger role than depth."...especially if your target depth is just 10 to 12'..so your 75' total set back makes more sense...usually at those higher up target depth's (5 to 20') I'll be trolling 90 to 120' back...That is, however, if I'm in my, or someone else's boat, with gas trolling motor...If I'm just in my canoe with elec. troller, set backs can be half that, or less, at those shallower fishing depths...sounds like you don't use down riggers?
I don't use downriggers when fish are up high. I will deploy them when I am fishing 40 feet down. I want the lures to be out as far back as possible when fishing shallow. I also hold the opinion that snap weights provide a little more action than a downrigger as they are prone to move up and down in the water column as you make S turns simply because you have more line out. I suppose I could get the same effect by fishing riggers with 75 feet or more setbacks. It's a balance of how much line out I want to deal with. The more line out the more fish tend to longline release.
(06-07-2024, 04:06 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 04:24 PM)stan55 Wrote: Set back was 35 feet then snap weight then 30 to 40 more feet let out. That's a total of 65 to 75 feet of line out. At 1.5 mph that gets you down to 10 to 12 feet per charts. I know we were fishing a little deeper than that depth because when I hit 15 feet depth on the finder the snap weights were dragging bottom on the 75-foot total line out while 65 wouldn't. That's how I check the real depth.

I agree with your "distance from boat was playing a bigger role than depth."...especially if your target depth is just 10 to 12'..so your 75' total set back makes more sense...usually at those higher up target depth's (5 to 20') I'll be trolling 90 to 120' back...That is, however, if I'm in my, or someone else's boat, with gas trolling motor...If I'm just in my canoe with elec. troller, set backs can be half that, or less, at those shallower fishing depths...sounds like you don't use down riggers?

So I recently bought a kayak with an electric trolling motor. I would like to try trolling for trout, something new to me. Looks like using snap weights are a great way to get down in the water column. I run 8lb mono on my poles. Would this be sufficient to use 1-2 oz. weights or would I need to use heavier line?
(06-09-2024, 04:56 PM)Humbadingo Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 04:06 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:

So I recently bought a kayak with an electric trolling motor. I would like to try trolling for trout, something new to me. Looks like using snap weights are a great way to get down in the water column. I run 8lb mono on my poles. Would this be sufficient to use 1-2 oz. weights or would I need to use heavier line?

I'm not speaking for Stan but I use 10 to 12 lb mono when using snap weights, you might try using lighter line, just to see but if it's new line, I don't see why it won't work.
(06-09-2024, 04:56 PM)Humbadingo Wrote: So I recently bought a kayak with an electric trolling motor. I would like to try trolling for trout, something new to me. Looks like using snap weights are a great way to get down in the water column. I run 8lb mono on my poles. Would this be sufficient to use 1-2 oz. weights or would I need to use heavier line?
You might want to go heavier on the line as suggested.  My trolling rods all carry 12 or 14 lb test line.  You might also want to investigate Dipsy Divers (https://sportfishingbuddy.com/dipsy-diver-rig/) vs. snap on weights.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
15 is my preference but if going deep I use 10 or 12. I wouldn't go lighter than 10. I hate losing gear. I like the concept of Dipsys and have tried them but I can never get them to trip properly and reeling a Dipsy that hasn't tripped with a fish on the hook is a chore and a half.
(06-09-2024, 09:43 PM)stan55 Wrote: 15 is my preference but if going deep I use 10 or 12. I wouldn't go lighter than 10. I hate losing gear. I like the concept of Dipsys and have tried them but I can never get them to trip properly and reeling a Dipsy that hasn't tripped with a fish on the hook is a chore and a half.
OK, I'll spool up some reels with some heavier line. Thanks for the advice!
Stan that sounds like a lot of fun... I love a bow trip this time of year, it takes me back to the good old days fishing with dad.... Loved those trips... Thanks for sharing this one with us.... I'm also finding the discussion on the snap weights really interesting... I've never tried them, I've always either let out way more line than I should or used lead core or down riggers, but after the discussions the last few years showing how much the fish avoid the boats, I think your longer line set backs is a great idea.... How do you get the weights off the line and keep reeling in the fish? Guess I need to pull up a Youtube video and learn how this process works... Fun report, thanks... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-10-2024, 12:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Stan that sounds like a lot of fun...  I love a bow trip this time of year, it takes me back to the good old days fishing with dad.... Loved those trips... Thanks for sharing this one with us.... I'm also finding the discussion on the snap weights really interesting... I've never tried them, I've always either let out way more line than I should or used lead core or down riggers, but after the discussions the last few years showing how much the fish avoid the boats, I think your longer line set backs is a great idea.... How do you get the weights off the line and keep reeling in the fish?  Guess I need to pull up a Youtube video and learn how this process works... Fun report, thanks... J

Jeff, have you ever used side planners, snap weight are just like that, just push the clip together and it releases the line, then you keep reeling your line in. Also similar to the release on a down rigger.
I've also used banana type weights, that remain on your line, about 5 ft up from your lure.
I've moved away from banana weights. Like that longer set back from the weight you can get with the snaps. Also easier to net fish as you can reel all the line in if you need to.

Lead core stinks. Hate it.

I prefer downriggers for fishing 30 ft or more down.
Kind of surprised no one is targeting the wipers. They are huge! There have been some good ones on there facebook page this spring.
Because the wipers there are more of an "incidental catch" than something you target, IMO.

Part of the reason they're so huge, is that their numbers are becoming fewer, and there's more groceries to go around. That also makes them harder to catch.

I am sure someone will jump in here and tell me how wrong I am, but I defy anyone to go catch a handful of wiper in a day at Otter Creek.
(06-14-2024, 03:19 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: Because the wipers there are more of an "incidental catch" than something you target, IMO.

Part of the reason they're so huge, is that their numbers are becoming fewer, and there's more groceries to go around. That also makes them harder to catch.

I am sure someone will jump in here and tell me how wrong I am, but I defy anyone to go catch a handful of wiper in a day at Otter Creek.
I guess to each there own. I would rather catch a few wipers a day than a limit of trout every outing. And they would be let go because if there are less that means you let someone else have the fun of catching them again. 

I'm not saying the big rainbows are not fun to catch I am just surprised out of all these posts, that no one is targeting them instead of the trout. It just takes the right pattern and location to get on them. 

If I lived closer you could bet all the trout lures in your tackle box I would have them figured out. 

Tight Lines
fishinfool Cool
I try occasionally to catch wipers at Otter and Minersville but it hasn't happened yet. Newcastle is a better bet to catch big wipers.

I fished for wipers and stripers back in the day so I have the know-how. Not a lot of wipers in either reservoir. There just aren't enough fish available to make it worth while for me.