Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A toothy outing on Deer creek
I was able to go on a float tube trip with my son yesterday. We launched from the Charleston area around 5pm and got off the lake at 8:30. I went blind (without sonar) on this trip, so I don't have a water temp or ideas of how deep I found some walleye. We tried a few jigging options and different style of plastics, but the only action we got was on a moon eye jig with a tickle tail plastic. The bites were fierce as we slowly reeled in the jig. They did not want to do anything with hugging the bottom, snapping the jig off bottom, just the slow and steady reel did the trick. All the hits occurred off the bottom, and to say where in the column I have no clue. They hit usually pretty close to the tube so I would guess within the top 7 ft of the water. All were just young 14 inch walleye. I caught 5 and my son caught 2. He said he missed some hits and I did as well. No other species were brought aboard on this trip. I have a suspicion that there are several of this size currently in the lake, which means in a few years they will be pretty decent in size. It was a great trip as it has been at least 3 years since I have made it out on Deer creek this time of year. The power boats came in a bit close, but not too bad. I noticed the horse head in the snow on the back of Mount Timpanogas, which locals say is the best time to chase walleye when that horse head in the snow is visible. Get out there and catch you some toothy fish.
Gabe
(06-09-2024, 08:01 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I was able to go on a float tube trip with my son yesterday. We launched from the Charleston area around 5pm and got off the lake at 8:30. I went blind (without sonar) on this trip, so I don't have a water temp or ideas of how deep I found some walleye. We tried a few jigging options and different style of plastics, but the only action we got was on a moon eye jig with a tickle tail plastic. The bites were fierce as we slowly reeled in the jig. They did not want to do anything with hugging the bottom, snapping the jig off bottom, just the slow and steady reel did the trick. All the hits occurred off the bottom, and to say where in the column I have no clue. They hit usually pretty close to the tube so I would guess within the top 7 ft of the water. All were just young 14 inch walleye. I caught 5 and my son caught 2. He said he missed some hits and I did as well. No other species were brought aboard on this trip. I have a suspicion that there are several of this size currently in the lake, which means in a few years they will be pretty decent in size. It was a great trip as it has been at least 3 years since I have made it out on Deer creek this time of year. The power boats came in a bit close, but not too bad. I noticed the horse head in the snow on the back of Mount Timpanogas, which locals say is the best time to chase walleye when that horse head in the snow is visible. Get out there and catch you some toothy fish.
Gabe

Sounds like a great trip Gabe, especially for only being out for 3.5 hrs. I've had the same success below the railroad track on the other side of the lake, this time of the year but this is the first I've heard of the horse head in the snow, sounds like an interesting way you can know when the catching is on.
Good to hear there are a few active ones.  Glad you got a few...even if there were no bigguns.  I think it will change a lot with the food chain change.  The newly hatched perchlets will be schooling up in the weeds and shallows on the east side of the Charleston arm.  That's when all the predators will move in for the annual mop up.
(06-09-2024, 08:01 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I was able to go on a float tube trip with my son yesterday. We launched from the Charleston area around 5pm and got off the lake at 8:30. I went blind (without sonar) on this trip, so I don't have a water temp or ideas of how deep I found some walleye. We tried a few jigging options and different style of plastics, but the only action we got was on a moon eye jig with a tickle tail plastic. The bites were fierce as we slowly reeled in the jig. They did not want to do anything with hugging the bottom, snapping the jig off bottom, just the slow and steady reel did the trick. All the hits occurred off the bottom, and to say where in the column I have no clue. They hit usually pretty close to the tube so I would guess within the top 7 ft of the water. All were just young 14 inch walleye. I caught 5 and my son caught 2. He said he missed some hits and I did as well. No other species were brought aboard on this trip. I have a suspicion that there are several of this size currently in the lake, which means in a few years they will be pretty decent in size. It was a great trip as it has been at least 3 years since I have made it out on Deer creek this time of year. The power boats came in a bit close, but not too bad. I noticed the horse head in the snow on the back of Mount Timpanogas, which locals say is the best time to chase walleye when that horse head in the snow is visible. Get out there and catch you some toothy fish.
Gabe

I don't target walleye but as I was trolling for trout Monday I did hook up two walleye. Both about 11 inches or so. Was using a Rocky mountain tackle billed squid about 20 feet deep. Tipped with gulp corn yellow.
(06-11-2024, 12:06 AM)mdt Wrote: I don't target walleye but as I was trolling for trout Monday I did hook up two walleye. Both about 11 inches or so. Was using a Rocky mountain tackle billed squid about 20 feet deep. Tipped with gulp corn yellow.

Nice, were you in water deeper than 20 ft, if so how deep was the water you were in? Just wondering how far they are coming up off the bottom.
(06-11-2024, 01:12 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-11-2024, 12:06 AM)mdt Wrote: I don't target walleye but as I was trolling for trout Monday I did hook up two walleye. Both about 11 inches or so. Was using a Rocky mountain tackle billed squid about 20 feet deep. Tipped with gulp corn yellow.

Nice, were you in water deeper than 20 ft, if so how deep was the water you were in? Just wondering how far they are coming up off the bottom.

The shallowed water we fished was 45' or so.  First walleye I've ever caught while trolling
(06-11-2024, 01:48 AM)mdt Wrote:

The shallowed water we fished was 45' or so.  First walleye I've ever caught while trolling

Wow, that eye must have been hungry, to come up that far off the bottom. Did you notice what the water temp was?
(06-11-2024, 03:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-11-2024, 01:48 AM)mdt Wrote:

The shallowest water we fished was 45' or so.  First walleye I've ever caught while trolling

Wow, that eye must have been hungry, to come up that far off the bottom. Did you notice what the water temp was?

Sorry I didn't notice