Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallie’s
Neighbor asked if I would be interested in taking my boat up to Walcott in Idaho and chase some small mouth, I said sure as I hand t fished any bass much the past few years. We headed up Friday afternoon arriving at the state park around 5, meet up with his brother-in-law (Derek) who had a boat and launched for the evening bite.  Headed up lake and were on fish right off throwing plastic and crank baits, lots of dinks but did get some fish up to 2lbs or so staying out until dark at 10pm, picked up 1 nice trout just before we headed in. Went back to the campground were Derek had gotten a spot and had dinner for the night. Saturday am we launched a bit after 6 to let the bass tournament guys who were there get out. We went back up lake and found us some water and started off catching right where we left off but a larger grade of fish up to and over 3lbs. Plastic craw papa’s did most of the damage. Had a blast, didn’t keep track of numbers and will definitely go back. Campground is very nice with no bitting bugs that we found. 

[Image: IMG-2315.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2316.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2321.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2322.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2325.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2327.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2334.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2336.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2337.jpg]
Thanks for the great report and pics.  Those are some dandy smallmouth.

I fished there with my brother from Twin Falls in his boat several years ago and we picked up some good fish too using the fly rod.  

You have to love the fight those fish put up.
Great report and pics Alan, thanks for sharing your adventure with us, those are some nice smallies. Did you take your boat up as well or does he have a boat like yours?
(06-23-2024, 04:51 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the great report and pics.  Those are some dandy smallmouth.

I fished there with my brother from Twin Falls in his boat several years ago and we picked up some good fish too using the fly rod.  

You have to love the fight those fish put up.

Their fight is great, little bull dogs

(06-23-2024, 06:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pics Alan, thanks for sharing your adventure with us, those are some nice smallies. Did you take your boat up as well or does he have a boat like yours?

Took my boat up and Derek has a Lowe, so 3 people in mine and 2 in his
(06-23-2024, 07:26 PM)2knots Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 06:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pics Alan, thanks for sharing your adventure with us, those are some nice smallies. Did you take your boat up as well or does he have a boat like yours?

OK, that makes sense. What does it cost now days to takes your boat up to Idaho, not the gas cost, just the AIS sticker and how hard was it to get it inspected?
(06-23-2024, 09:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

OK, that makes sense. What does it cost now days to takes your boat up to Idaho, not the gas cost, just the AIS sticker and how hard was it to get it inspected?
30 bucks for the AIS sticker, they have inspection stations at the rest stops after entering Idaho on the main interstates
Man, Jordanelle used to be like that. I miss those days.
(06-23-2024, 10:34 PM)2knots Wrote:

30 bucks for the AIS sticker, they have inspection stations at the rest stops after entering Idaho on the main interstates

Thanks for the Idaho ais info. Need to get it done.

Alan, years ago you used to have to license your boat in Idaho as well as the AIS, is that still a thing, or does the AIS take care of the boat fees to go to Idaho?  It got so expensive to take the boat to Idaho, I haven't tried it for years...  Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-24-2024, 02:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

Alan, years ago you used to have to license your boat in Idaho as well as the AIS, is that still a thing, or does the AIS take care of the boat fees to go to Idaho?  It got so expensive to take the boat to Idaho, I haven't tried it for years...  Thanks Jeff

Jeff
Never heard of having to license your boat on another state, 1st time I went to Idaho with my boat was 2018 and all I needed was the AIS sticker, so was this before then.
(06-24-2024, 06:00 PM)2knots Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 02:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

Jeff
Never heard of having to license your boat on another state, 1st time I went to Idaho with my boat was 2018 and all I needed was the AIS sticker, so was this before then.
I took my boat up a couple weeks ago. Only the AIS sticker to get thru the check stations, BUT, twice (in several trips)I have been checked by officers for no license plate on my trailer. I explain to them that if the trailer is single axle and under 750lbs, it doesn't have to be registered in Utah. Of course, they check and acknowledge the law and let me go.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I have heard of the trailer thing. I had a guy tell me they will ticket you. I said that if you are complying with your states law, no way they can ticket you if temporarily in another state with a different rule! Glad they checked and let it go.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life