Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porky 6/23
Hit the pig yesterday morning. Water temp was about 64. Tried dragging a rapala around for a bit looking for the browns without luck. Tried vertical jigging in a few spots and was able to get a 20" ish rainbow to the kayak and an 18" ish cutty that threw the hook at the surface while I was trying to land it. Decided to see if the kokes would play for a bit before we headed home and had a few strikes and landed one about 14"-16". Caught and picked up 8 or so beer bottles floating in the lake while I was trolling around. Sure wish people weren't so trashy and actually took care of our resources.
(06-24-2024, 03:37 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Hit the pig yesterday morning. Water temp was about 64. Tried dragging a rapala around for a bit looking for the browns without luck. Tried vertical jigging in a few spots and was able to get a 20" ish rainbow to the kayak and an 18" ish cutty that threw the hook at the surface while I was trying to land it. Decided to see if the kokes would play for a bit before we headed home and had a few strikes and landed one about 14"-16". Caught and picked up 8 or so beer bottles floating in the lake while I was trolling around. Sure wish people weren't so trashy and actually took care of our resources.

Wow, I haven't heard of any kokes that big coming out there is many many years, were you jigging when you caught it? How deep were you fishing when you caught it? Good for you, picking up all that trash. I've been thinking about making a trip up there this year, sounds like it might be worth the trip
(06-24-2024, 04:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 03:37 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Hit the pig yesterday morning. Water temp was about 64. Tried dragging a rapala around for a bit looking for the browns without luck. Tried vertical jigging in a few spots and was able to get a 20" ish rainbow to the kayak and an 18" ish cutty that threw the hook at the surface while I was trying to land it. Decided to see if the kokes would play for a bit before we headed home and had a few strikes and landed one about 14"-16". Caught and picked up 8 or so beer bottles floating in the lake while I was trolling around. Sure wish people weren't so trashy and actually took care of our resources.

Wow, I haven't heard of any kokes that big coming out there is many many years, were you jigging when you caught it? How deep were you fishing when you caught it? Good for you, picking up all that trash. I've been thinking about making a trip up there this year, sounds like it might be worth the trip
I was trolling with my down rigger at about 30' in about 40-50 feet of water. I didnt get a tape on it but I would guess it was closer to the 14" mark.
(06-24-2024, 04:54 PM)DjHill16 Wrote:

I was trolling with my down rigger at about 30' in about 40-50 feet of water. I didnt get a tape on it but I would guess it was closer to the 14" mark.

Not that they aren't there but I've never caught any kokes at the Pig that were over 14". Were you marking any schools of kokes?
(06-24-2024, 05:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Not that they aren't there but I've never caught any kokes at the Pig that were over 14". Were you marking any schools of kokes?
Honest answer I'm not sure. I was doing some testing to figure out what speed I need to be going for the trout to hit a rapala and was paying more attention to my speed and depth than I was to what was actually on the screen.

But a coworker hit it saturday and said he was seeing schools all over in between where the lake narrows about midway up to the cliff that everyone jumps off of by the inlet.
(06-24-2024, 05:54 PM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 05:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Honest answer I'm not sure. I was doing some testing to figure out what speed I need to be going for the trout to hit a rapala and was paying more attention to my speed and depth than I was to what was actually on the screen.

But a coworker hit it saturday and said he was seeing schools all over in between where the lake narrows about midway up to the cliff that everyone jumps off of by the inlet.

Good to know, it's been a few years since I was there in my boat and at the time I was marking very few schools of fish.