Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Musings
Man.  I'm going bonkers.  Cain't get in my tube and chase any fishies.  Still battling my left eye problems and will be stuck at home as caregiver for a while.  Wife just got out of the hospital after surgery and is coming along well but has a ways to go before she can be left alone.

Been reading and "interpreting" the relatively few Willard reports lately.  From past experience I might offer a couple of thoughts.  On any given day you can catch something somewhere on Willard...using almost anything.  On some days, though, it can seem like there ain't no more fish left in the lake.  The big thing to keep in mind now is the changing food chain.

Until the last couple of weeks, all the predators were hungry and roaming around looking for food...any food.  And if you found fish you could usually tempt a few to bite.  That was before the hatching shad reached a size big enough to put on their menus.  Now, mind you, shad spawn over a several week period of time.  And a lot of the clouds of shadlets we see on sonar are still too small to tempt larger fish to munch them.  But some of the earliest to hatch are now reaching 1.5 to 2".  And the hungry predators are finding it easy to chow down by just swimming through a school...mouth open.  But they also look for singles that have been separated from the pack and attack them savagely.

That is why a lot of knowledgeable Willardites downsize their lures for a while.  You can still catch a few fish on the 5s and 7s.  But the little 2" mini cranks will often get more attention.  That's for trolling.  But you can also slow troll small plastics...in white or pearl.  And casting and retrieving these small plastics or 2" to 3" Gulp minnows can produce too.

Not saying to give up all your other stuff.  Just saying that having optional plan B...small stuff...might pay off on some days.
[Image: RATTLIN-RAP.jpg] [Image: WEE-RAP-WIPER.jpg] [Image: WIPER-ON-SHAD.jpg] [Image: WALLEYE-ON-GULP.jpg]

It will be ok PAT, CALM down, she'll be better before you know it, the the fishing will make you eye feel better, or at least you'll for get about it, build a few more new lures so your ready when the time comes. you'll be ok, we all go through fishing with drawls some times. look I have almost made it through the week, but my left eye is getting hard to hear out of.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hang in there, Pat.  
My wife had her knee replaced the first of the year and it took me out of action for a while.  She takes such good care of me and lets me go fishing whenever I want so I was happy to finally be able to help her. These are times when you go back and look at old pictures and your fishing log and come up with some things that you used to fish with and don't anymore for one reason or another.  I've found the old stuff still catches fish. Rolleyes   

I'm sure there are a lot of fish breathing easier knowing you're not on the water. Big Grin   
(06-26-2024, 11:00 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: It will be ok PAT, CALM down,  she'll be better before you know it, the the fishing will make you eye feel better, or at least you'll for get about it, build a few more new lures so your ready when the time comes. you'll be ok, we all go through fishing with drawls some times.  look I have almost made it through the week, but my left eye is getting hard to hear out of.

Thanks.  I appreciate your kind remarks.  But you need a remedial course in anatomy.  Next you'll be telling me that hindsight is being able to look backward out of your rear orifice.
I hear ya, Pat. I've spent this entire month going to various doctor offices. It isn't bad enough that six-month checkups all seem to come in December, but that means they also happen in June. And invariably, they all want some kind of followup and lab tests - meaning at least two more visits. I think I spent nine days in waiting rooms this month, and have two more scheduled.

Getting old ain't for sissies.
(06-27-2024, 12:12 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I hear ya, Pat. I've spent this entire month going to various doctor offices. It isn't bad enough that six-month checkups all seem to come in December, but that means they also happen in June. And invariably, they all want some kind of followup and lab tests - meaning at least two more visits. I think I spent nine days in waiting rooms this month, and have two more scheduled.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

I've probably got you beat on days eaten up by office visits...for both me and wife, hospital room visits for wife, prescription runs, personal procedures, etc.  I'd druther be fishin'.

You're right on the old age thing.  But...considering the alternative...
There is that. On the other distal extremity, I am beginning to truly understand Rest In Peace.
(06-27-2024, 01:58 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: There is that. On the other distal extremity, I am beginning to truly understand Rest In Peace.
About 30 years ago, while caring for my rapidly declining mother, I had a conversation with her palliative care nurse.  I expressed the desire to go quickly...when it was my time to go.  She agreed that all people wanted to die quickly and painlessly.  However, she said, over 70% of people die after weeks, months or even years of misery and debilitation.  Rest in peace would be a blessing after that.  

My lifelong credo has been: 
"Existing is not living.  I'm gonna live until I die.  When I can no longer live...I will live no longer.  If it's living that kills me, so be it."  

Geez...how morbid for a fishing forum!  I'd druther go fishing.
I think that creed is what I have lived by all my life since I caught my first Jew fish in 1964 at Cape Canaveral Florida. Thanks for the reminder.
I'm the care giver of my wife of 60 years. I just turned 79 but I'm still in pretty good health although I've been going to physical therapy twice a week because of low back pain and arthritis in my hip joints also doctor appts for type 2 diabetes. But life is good I have no complaints. 

I'm finally going fishing tomorrow for the first time this year and I'm really looking forward to it. Heading to Deer Creek and whether I catch anything or not it will be good to get out.
Dang! I just turned 60 last week. You guys are making me feel like a spring chicken. I always appreciate your tips and advice on how to fish Willard TubeDude. Thank you!
(06-29-2024, 05:01 PM)Troutster Wrote: Dang! I just turned 60 last week.  You guys are making me feel like a spring chicken.  I always appreciate your tips and advice on how to fish Willard TubeDude. Thank you!
I appreciate your appreciation.  I enjoy passing along what I have learned...to help others shorten their learning curves.  A lot of what I have learned and experienced over the years has been through the generosity of others.  I would be an ungrateful wretch if I didn't pay it forward.  I only wish there had been websites and the vast amounts of combined information available when I was in my formative years.  But, then again, my old wood-burning computer wasn't hooked up to the internet anyways.  Onward...ever onward.  

On that note, just remember that "artificial intelligence" is better than real ignorance.
Pat. I dont know about others but considering how you enjoy writting I would love to read more about your days under a teenage sun and some of the places you have been that may be less familiar to us Ubangies. ( maybe you already have write up on that kinda stuff)
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-30-2024, 04:13 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat. I dont know about others but considering how you enjoy writting I would love to read more about your days under a teenage sun and some of the places you have been that may be less familiar to us Ubangies. ( maybe you already have write up on that kinda stuff)

Appreciate the kind words, sir.  Glad you like my drivel.  As we have discussed, I have had the good fortune to have been able to sample a whole lot of fishing in a whole lot of places in North America...including Mexico, Canada and Alaska.  There are few states in the USA that have not been "blessed" with my angling pursuits...and few species that I have not added to my angling resume.  For all that I am properly grateful.

Much of what I have written over the years...for local sports publications and other websites...is no longer available.  I either did not keep copies or lost them to computer crashes...or whatever.  But I do have one PDF writeup on Fishing in the Sea of Cortez I put together when I was moderator of the Float Tube board.  I think you will find it interesting. At your request I will make a separate post of it.  Hope you like it.