Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling reel/rod recommendations
I ordered a boat, should be ready end of Aug. I have never trolled and would like to get some gear for Willard walleye and wipers, Powell strippers, Flaming G ?.  I’m a spinner guy but wanted to try a bait rig with line counter. I prefer jigging but when trolling is best, I’ll do that.  I don’t plan on getting a down rigger for now.  I picked up a Diawa Lexa 300 line counter reel and a 7 foot medium action fast tip rod. I’m wondering if that 300 is overkill and should get a smaller reel for walleye and use the 300 for jigging lakers at FG or Bear Lake?  Also for jigging for lakers any recommendations for a rod and reel.  Sportsman’s Warehouse recommended Mamma Hog jigging rod.  A local guy makes them but they are out of stock everywhere. I can order direct but want to feel it or get advice from someone experienced jigging for make trout.  What specs do Imlook for in a lake trout jigging rod; length, wt.- med or medium heavy, fast tip or ?. I thought about trying a Shimano Tekota line counter to see which I prefer vs Daiwa. BTW, the Lexa is a left retrieve. I have never used a bait caster and winding with my left hand seemed most natural (I’m a righty). Hope I don’t regret that one. Seems like a left wind bait caster isn’t uncommon for right handed folks.
Anyway, I’ve read a lot on the internet but would prefer advice from locals fishing these waters. Thanks!
The Okuma Cold Water low profile reels are the best in the business, IMO.

As for trolling rods, lots of good options: Okuma Aveon, Okuma Kokanee Black, Velocity, etc.

Just don't buy those Eagle Claw Kokanee rods - if you're going to be that cheap, just rob the radio antenna off of your car. It'll have better action....
I Don’t agree on the Kokanee rods. I have used the Eagle claw koke rods for years and have caught many hundreds of kokes on them. A number of good koke guys I know use them as well. Spend the money on reels and other rods for walleyes, bass jigging etc where it makes a big difference.
Koke rods on a downrigger bent over 90% of the time and then soft enough to land them are fine! Spending a lot on a Kokanee trolling rod is not worth
The difference in cost IMHO. If price is not an issue buy anything with a soft action designed for Kokanee trolling spend as much as you want.
Good counters and drags are super important and you get what you pay for on a reel for sure, and having good quality reels will make your fishing experience better and more effective. The Daiwa and Shimano are tough to beat. Stay away from low end okumas. The higher priced models are good for the money. I spent 40 plus years selling fishing products both wholesale and retail have a lot of experience in what’s has worked well for people. Have fun and good luck with your new boat and fishing adventures!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Its really tough to beat the Okuma Cold Water line up of reels. The low profile line counter is a great one for jigging lakers.
For jigging rods I like my custom ones from Dan Grundvig out of West valley. They have the best action IMO. The Mama Hog rods are great as well. A lot of my friends really like all of their rods for trolling and jigging. I even have a friend who uses the mama hog jigging rods for "inside" rods when trolling Willard.
General purpose trolling rods i actually really like the Ugly Stik GX2 in 7'-8'6". They have been great for pulling planner boards and even big blades for lakers. Put on an Okuma Cold Water and you'll be set. I run 20lb Seaguar InvisX on all my trolling setups.
I have quite liked the okuma convector cv-163, nice reel with small footprint, good drag, line counter etc, can find them under 70 if you look enough
I have 3 of the Okuma cold water series models (153, 203, 354). Been using Okuma's for a long time & really like these. Early years I remember the style of trolling rods I had, baits casters (Penn 209 reels) with lead core & snubber. Another oldie used was a Mitchell Garcia 300 open bail (still have it sitting in retirement). I try not to go overboard with a heavy price on rods as they take the worse of all beatings, I have a few brands, but I put my money currently into Velocity's and happy with them & works for me. Don't have the luxury of travel to specialized fishing areas to invest in different rod strengths, only within a 3hr local as I am the caregiver limiting me to travel.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Brick 
If you are interested, I have a lot walleye lures, lake trout tubes and lures and kokanee hoochies and spinners. I also have some trolling rods and reels and a couple of lead core setups if you are interested . 
I am downsizing the amount of tackle that I have. Some still in packages. Manual downrigger, etc
I have one one rule.................you get what you pay for. Do you like pot metal forged gears with niclkle hardware or machine cut brass with stainless hardware? The worst thing today is price. All my gear is decades old and still run flawless. I would hate to re-up on gear today. I have some salt water Cabela strike eagle bait runner reels that are like new. Maybe you ask, salt water? Because that are made for salt water and I fish fresh water they will last forever. If you ever do decide to go with down rigger's, look into bait runner reels. Dual drags never worked so good wth a rigger. One switch, down and done. I like to lean heavy on price for reels, but the high end pole's I do have are great.
stay away from Okuma's (period)
(06-27-2024, 02:16 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: The Okuma Cold Water low profile reels are the best in the business, IMO.

As for trolling rods, lots of good options: Okuma Aveon, Okuma Kokanee Black, Velocity, etc.

Just don't buy those Eagle Claw Kokanee rods - if you're going to be that cheap, just rob the radio antenna off of your car. It'll have better action....

I’m disappointed at the price increase of the Okuma low profile but we do agree on one thing that they are versatile and smooth reels. Gear ratio is amazing. I Run the cheap Okuma sst rod for kokes and love em. No snubber required. Ugly stick 7’0” trolling rod that can handle trout to cats.
I’m interested at why some don’t like Okuma?
KastKing is the new kid on the block.I have had good success with their reels and rods. Checkem out!!
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to Cabela’s, Sportsman’s Warehouse, and Anglers Den to find an Okuma Coldwater Low Profile LC reel. I found it in a right hand retrieve. It looked really nice and was super smooth, but no one had the left hand retrieve. Also looked st some Kastking reels but they don’t make a line counter reel. I snagged a Shimano Tekota LC. I liked the Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Rod - 7ft, Medium Heavy Power, Fast Action, 1pc. Found it at Sportsman’s, probably pick one up for $119. It’s interesting looking at rods from $39 to over $400. The main difference I could feel is weight. The overall weight and especially swing weight. The Kokanee rods are CRAZY soft. Big noodles. I’m going to wait on the trolling stuff. I need to still pay for the boat end of Aug when it comes in.
For trolling cranks off planer boards I use St Croix Pro Glass 8.5' Medium rods. I had 4, but a buddy broke one and they're no longer available. I replaced it with an 8' Medium Light Ugly Stik Tiger which works fine. Daiwa SG27 line counter reels.

For kokanee I use my ocean salmon gear, Shimano 10'6" Convergence mooching rods with Islander MR3 reels. Super smooth drags but spendy the rods have been superseded also, but Shimano still makes 10'6" mooching rods. They will handle any salmon, from 12" kokanee to 35# chinook.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
I have used Cabelas Depth Master 20 and 30 series, line counter reels and LOVE them.  Drag is smooth and I haven't had a problem in over 15 years with them!  Rods:  I prefer the Depth Master 8'6" trolling rods with medium action.  I have caught countless kokanee on them along with 20-25lb lakers and some cutthroat up to nearly 10lbs, along with lots of walleye and wipers at Willard Bay.  I now have 5 sets of them and would not trade them for any other set ups.  For the price you just can't beat them.  The rod/reel combos go on sale about twice a year for about $89 for the rod+reel.  The 20 series are nice for kokes but I prefer the 30 series which hold more line.  As for line:  I use a braid with 6-8' of 15lb mono or flouro leader material for all of the fish above.
Just curious, what boat did you order/get?
My trolling rod/reel combos for trout/kokanee are the following.

Elite Casting Rod - Ugly Stik

Abu Garcia AmbasSadeur® S Line Counter Round Baitcast Reel | Abu Garcia® – Abu Garcia Fishing

I’ve been using them for 6 or 7 years now and have not had any issues with either.  I have used the Cabela’s Depth Master gear in the past and they don’t even come close to my current combos.  I have also used some specialty kokanee rods at $120 plus.  My Ugly Stix do the same thing for a lot less money.  I really like the digital line counters on my Abu-Garcia reels.  They calibrate for line size and are consistent at measuring setbacks.  As you can see from the replies thus far, we don’t all agree on what works best.

Ugly Stix have been around since 1976 and Abu-Garcia reels have been here since 1947.  They must be doing something right.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-04-2024, 11:53 PM)dubob Wrote: My trolling rod/reel combos for trout/kokanee are the following.

Elite Casting Rod - Ugly Stik

Abu Garcia AmbasSadeur® S Line Counter Round Baitcast Reel | Abu Garcia® – Abu Garcia Fishing

I’ve been using them for 6 or 7 years now and have not had any issues with either.  I have used the Cabela’s Depth Master gear in the past and they don’t even come close to my current combos.  I have also used some specialty kokanee rods at $120 plus.  My Ugly Stix do the same thing for a lot less money.  I really like the digital line counters on my Abu-Garcia reels.  They calibrate for line size and are consistent at measuring setbacks.  As you can see from the replies thus far, we don’t all agree only stic what works best.

Ugly Stix have been around since 1976 and Abu-Garcia reels have been here since 1947.  They must be doing something right.   Big Grin
I have two ugly Stix light action that are 8 ft 3 inch. Great for planner boards and when I'm using four rods. My best real is an okuma convector with a line counter, it's much nicer than cabelas depth master.
(07-05-2024, 04:01 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have two ugly Stix light action that are 8 ft 3 inch. Great for planner boards and when I'm using four rods. My best real is an okuma convector with a line counter, it's much nicer than cabelas depth master.
My 4 Stix are 7 ft Ultra-lites.  They make for some wild fights with wipers and cats on Willard.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-04-2024, 10:57 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: I have used Cabelas Depth Master 20 and 30 series, line counter reels and LOVE them.  Drag is smooth and I haven't had a problem in over 15 years with them!  Rods:  I prefer the Depth Master 8'6" trolling rods with medium action.  I have caught countless kokanee on them along with 20-25lb lakers and some cutthroat up to nearly 10lbs, along with lots of walleye and wipers at Willard Bay.  I now have 5 sets of them and would not trade them for any other set ups.  For the price you just can't beat them.  The rod/reel combos go on sale about twice a year for about $89 for the rod+reel.  The 20 series are nice for kokes but I prefer the 30 series which hold more line.  As for line:  I use a braid with 6-8' of 15lb mono or flouro leader material for all of the fish above.
Just curious, what boat did you order/get?

I ordered a Vexus ADX 190, Merc 175 with 9.9 kicker. Maybe end of Aug it will be here.