Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chubs in Rockport
Cookie and I were scouting the best place to take a bunch of very young nephews and nieces to catch thier first perch. We  stopped at about 5 spots on Rockport just checking for safe shorelines and testing to see if a few perches were in the area. At the last bathroom on the west side pullout Cookie caught a chub. Was not aware they were in RP. See photo. Hope the bucket brigade has not been at work. Has there always been chubs in there? 

However we caught perch at every stop but mostly small ones. The next few years should be very good for perch as it looks like the flooded conditions have really helped spawning and survival rates. They just need to grow a bit

[Image: 20240628-191837.jpg]

[Image: 20240628-191842.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Oh no, that's not good. Have you reported it to the DWR. That means Echo could eventually get them too along with the Weber.
I caught one a couple of years ago fishing up toward the inlet area.  I suspect they are all throughout the drainage but the predators keep them from overpopulating and showing up in great numbers.  Smallies especially love chublets.
[Image: CHUB.jpg]

I've caught several over the years at Echo. TubeDude is right, I've caught them in the lower parts of the Weber River as well. I think they are all through the drainage.
(06-29-2024, 01:50 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Oh no, that's not good. Have you reported it to the DWR. That means Echo could eventually get them too along with the Weber.

Echo Walleye would be all over those.  Help take pressure off the perch.  They may not be good in trout lakes but I think a weakness in our cool water lakes is lack of forage.  So maybe Chubs are not so bad.
Thumbs Up 
Smile Thanks for the adventures. I enjoy this site BFT and your You Tube stuff with Cookie and the Gang. Health issues have set me back and when I need a cup of cheer, I know where to find me some.
Update. Caught 6 more chubs last week scouting spots at RP. All in the shallow inlet end
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I've caught lots of chubs at Rockport in the past. They are in the canal systems around Kamas as well. I've usually caught them on fly and bubble.

Mike