Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod building
I’m looking into trying to learn to wrap rods. I’ve looked at get bit and a few other videos to self teach. Can anyone recommend any other videos or materials to study before I try my fist build. Also, any needed tools that you think may help the process. Thanks in advance!
(06-29-2024, 11:21 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I’m looking into trying to learn to wrap rods. I’ve looked at get bit and a few other videos to self teach. Can anyone recommend any other videos or materials to study before I try my fist build. Also, any needed tools that you think may help the process. Thanks in advance!

You should post your question on the Rod building forum. Chuck, the mod on that board has build a ton of rods and there are a lot of older post there about the ones he has built. I'm sure he could help you with your questions. Or you could send him an PM or email.
I'll be glad to help however I can.  I have been building and repairing rods for MANY years.  I have made everything from bamboo fly rods to heavy salt water rods to ice fishing rods. 

Making your first rod goes a lot better if you get assistance from an experienced rod builder.  Lots of little things to pay attention to that can make the process easier and the final result a lot better.  You would be welcome to visit my playroom and I can show you the basics...plus the tools and materials you will need.  Plus, I can help you make a shopping list of the stuff you need to build your dream stick.  

Don't know if you are planning to get into fancy rod wrapping patterns or not.  I used to do all the diamonds, chevrons, fish, etc. but now I just use plain wraps.  The pretty stuff gives you something to look at when the fish ain't bitin' but they don't make the fish bite any better.  However, Chuck...the moderator of the rod building board...is a master of beautiful artistic wraps and has a bunch of good info on those things.

I'm attaching a writeup I put together a while back to help would-be newbie rod makers.  But there are lots of good videos on YouTube and elsewhere too.  I might also suggest you go to  Mudhole.com  .  Spend some time looking over all the good stuff they have to help newbies get started...and order one of their catalogs.

Attached Files
.pdf   ROD BUILDING BASICS.pdf (Size: 886.56 KB / Downloads: 16)
(06-30-2024, 01:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I'll be glad to help however I can.  I have been building and repairing rods for MANY years.  I have made everything from bamboo fly rods to heavy salt water rods to ice fishing rods. 

Making your first rod goes a lot better if you get assistance from an experienced rod builder.  Lots of little things to pay attention to that can make the process easier and the final result a lot better.  You would be welcome to visit my playroom and I can show you the basics...plus the tools and materials you will need.  Plus, I can help you make a shopping list of the stuff you need to build your dream stick.  

Don't know if you are planning to get into fancy rod wrapping patterns or not.  I used to do all the diamonds, chevrons, fish, etc. but now I just use plain wraps.  The pretty stuff gives you something to look at when the fish ain't bitin' but they don't make the fish bite any better.  However, Chuck...the moderator of the rod building board...is a master of beautiful artistic wraps and has a bunch of good info on those things.

I'm attaching a writeup I put together a while back to help would-be newbie rod makers.  But there are lots of good videos on YouTube and elsewhere too.  I might also suggest you go to  Mudhole.com  .  Spend some time looking over all the good stuff they have to help newbies get started...and order one of their catalogs.
Thanks Pat and Curt, Pat I will be in touch when I get back in town to try to come to your wonka factory of fishing. I didn’t know there was a rod forum and I was able to read a couple threads last night. I have no desire to become the next great rod maker or make a business out of. I just wanna make the sticks that catch my fish. Something to do during down time. Biggest expense for me will be tools, I’ve started my search for used stuff.
I made a fly rod a hundred years ago using a rod building jig that I made.  I bought all my rod components from Anglers Inn back in the day.

I'm sure it would work just fine. It's yours if you want it, I will never use it again.
(06-30-2024, 05:07 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I made a fly rod a hundred years ago using a rod building jig that I made.  I bought all my rod components from Anglers Inn back in the day.

I'm sure it would work just fine. It's yours if you want it, I will never use it again.

Very kind of you sir, pm sent.
Mudhole has some really nice starter kits that have everything you need to get started, with or without a a rod kit, I bought a rod kit with all the tools when I got started, plus they have some great tutorial videos on rod building.
go look at the stuff that mudhole has, they have the best rods and the best prices. look at the MHX blanks, they are super nice rods.
I have all the stuff to build any rod you would like. I have built over a hundred rods form ice rods to ocean rods for salmon. 
not sure if I can help you very much, because I live in CO. now, you can send me a message any time.
I love the MHX blanks, what I use for my build's