Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chasing the Pig
Man I hate this forum at times... Was just finishing a fairly good write up and it froze up and lost the whole post... now the motivation to make a good post is gone, so, sorry you just get the readers digest version...

Wednesday I took my SIL and his pop up to Porcupine, we had a little mishap on the way..... Someone I can't mention might have left his bimini top up for a couple miles before I remembered and by the time I looked, it was tore off and flying like a kite behind... haven't had time to see how bad I tore it up, but do know I broke all the attachment hardware and straps, so I'll have a fix needed.... 

Anyway, the road up to the launch is rough and narrow when towing an 18' boat, but launch was okay... I had the lucky rod to start and after catching 5 bows, 14.5" was my best, I passed the rod to my SIL...  He continued the streak and caught 3 bows and a koke, then he passed the rod to his pop, who got a koke to finish our day...  For some reason one of my lead core set ups was the only rod that would catch fish... We fished another lead core set up and the down rigger and could only get fish on that one rod... Sad part is that rod is so heavy duty that these fish could hardly be felt, it was way too heavy for smallish fish, but I couldn't figure out how to get the light line setups to work for us...  Fun day with only a few kayaks and toons out fishing with us, but the paddle boards and swimmers really rolled in about 11:00, so we cleared out at 12:00.... Might have had something to do with no functional bimini top and too much sunshine...  Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great post Jeff!

What area and depth were you finding the kokes this year? I am thinking of heading up there for the kokes and wondering about this year's size and numbers.

Mike
Nice report. 

I had my plastic connections break where they attach to my Bimini top last week. I called Fred's marine and they had the pieces I needed for a quick fix. While on the phone he said that Brian's canvas in the Freeport center also would have the parts, and I know they could fix your canvas top as well. Just an option for you.
(07-19-2024, 05:14 PM)gmwahl Wrote: Great post Jeff!

What area and depth were you finding the kokes this year?  I am thinking of heading up there for the kokes and wondering about this year's size and numbers.

Mike

Hey Mike,  we got one just across the pond to the south side off the top ramp.  The other one was right where the wide part of reservoir starts to narrow off the north shore about 40 yards... That area is where I graphed the most koke and largest groups... Fish were between 30 to 40' down...  Kokes were both 12-13" range... I really didn't see many big groups of fish on the graph today, so I don't know if there aren't that many koke, or if I just didn't find them... I was trolling with my electric motor and I've heard the fish scatter when they hear a boat going over, so maybe they were just going around me... It was too hard to see my side finder image in the direct sunshine so I didn't use it much to see if they were out to the sides of me... Hope this helps... Jeff

(07-19-2024, 06:13 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Nice report. 

I had my plastic connections break where they attach to my Bimini top last week. I called Fred's marine and they had the pieces I needed for a quick fix. While on the phone he said that Brian's canvas in the Freeport center also would have the parts, and I know they could fix your canvas top as well. Just an option for you.

Hey Paul, thank you very much I hadn't started the search and you really saved me some time... Thank you very much I'll see if I can get a hold of one them next time I'm down to work... Do I need to size them, well I guess I can take the broken parts with me to make sure I get the right ones...  Thanks again... Jeff
Thanks Jeff, that helps. I might just try my old fashioned method of trolling with dipsy divers so that I can send them out to the sides. Sounds like keeper sizes though. Last ones I caught out of there were 10".

Mike
Thanks Jeff, for getting thru your post. The pig is a fun lake to play and catching adds to it. I went thru several postings lost and like you I would get frustrated. I found a way to cure that by hitting the "save as draft" tab below as I went along creating those longer posts. Then you can go back into "edit draft" as need to continue draft & post. I'm sure there are others here on this forum get pissed off too for losing their posts.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
      <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536869121 1107305727 33554432 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-familyConfusedwiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-469750017 -1040178053 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:8.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt; mso-ligaturesConfusedtandardcontextual;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:11.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:8.0pt; line-height:107%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Some (most?) of you will find this tedious, but here's what I do for longer post messages. I construct them in MS Word first, then edit and correct spelling, grammar, etc.  Then cut and paste into BFT or another forum group as necessary.  The plus side is that MS Word saves the document as you write it and I have not lost one that I can recall.  The con side is that it takes a few more keystrokes to cut & paste after your done writing.  But I doubt you will ever lose another post because BFT messed up or you inadvertently hit a wrong key.  I built this post in Word and then cut and posted it on BFT.  Easy, peasy.

Unfortunately, the transfer also carries all of the word formatting shown highlighted above and you will have to select that and delete it before posting.  But you won't lose those long postings that frustrate you.  If deleting the formatting carried forward is too much of a PITA, you can also write up your post in Word Pad or some other text app that doesn't have all that formatting attached to it, but the edit functions like spell check and grammar are mostly gone.

Tight lines everybody.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Also a very good idea, I have done that too Bob  Smile
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(07-19-2024, 02:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Man I hate this forum at times... Was just finishing a fairly good write up and it froze up and lost the whole post... now the motivation to make a good post is gone, so, sorry you just get the readers digest version...

Wednesday I took my SIL and his pop up to Porcupine, we had a little mishap on the way..... Someone I can't mention might have left his bimini top up for a couple miles before I remembered and by the time I looked, it was tore off and flying like a kite behind... haven't had time to see how bad I tore it up, but do know I broke all the attachment hardware and straps, so I'll have a fix needed.... 

Anyway, the road up to the launch is rough and narrow when towing an 18' boat, but launch was okay... I had the lucky rod to start and after catching 5 bows, 14.5" was my best, I passed the rod to my SIL...  He continued the streak and caught 3 bows and a koke, then he passed the rod to his pop, who got a koke to finish our day...  For some reason one of my lead core set ups was the only rod that would catch fish... We fished another lead core set up and the down rigger and could only get fish on that one rod... Sad part is that rod is so heavy duty that these fish could hardly be felt, it was way too heavy for smallish fish, but I couldn't figure out how to get the light line setups to work for us...  Fun day with only a few kayaks and toons out fishing with us, but the paddle boards and swimmers really rolled in about 11:00, so we cleared out at 12:00.... Might have had something to do with no functional bimini top and too much sunshine...  Later J

How is the electric motor working out for you, I havent fished porcupine for probably 10 years or more after the kokes were getting so small I started fishing them back in 1976 when i got stationed here. My kids grew up camping and fishing there before idiots started turning it into a dump and left trash all over. Sure miss those years.
Porcupine has been great to me this year. I've fished it three times for kokanee. 14, 16, and 18 fish on each trip. I was reluctant to post until someone else did. Best fishing was VERY early morning until about 9:30-10am. 30' down (probably deeper now) and about 50 feet behind the ball. Squids and dodgers. Fish aren't huge (12-14" but perfect for smoking and eating. A football player from USU drowned up there on Saturday.
(07-22-2024, 02:02 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Porcupine has been great to me this year.  I've fished it three times for kokanee.  14, 16, and 18 fish on each trip.  I was reluctant to post until someone else did.  Best fishing was VERY early morning until about 9:30-10am.  30' down (probably deeper now) and about 50 feet behind the ball.  Squids and dodgers.  Fish aren't huge (12-14" but perfect for smoking and eating.  A football player from USU drowned up there on Saturday.

Not that I ever fish Porcupine, but I have a question. Why the 50' set back? I fish regularly for kokanee on other waters. When they are on the surface, I use long setbacks, sometimes longer than 50'. However when I find the fish 25' or deeper I usually shorten the setbacks as I do not see the fish show boat shyness. Fished Jordanelle, twice this last week and Flaming Gorge once. Fish were 35+ feet deep. I used 10 and 15' setbacks with great success. I'm not questioning your success, just wondering the theory behind the long line. Seems it increases the tangle likelihood.
(07-19-2024, 08:31 PM)gmwahl Wrote: Thanks Jeff, that helps.  I might just try my old fashioned method of trolling with dipsy divers so that I can send them out to the sides. Sounds like keeper sizes though.  Last ones I caught out of there were 10".

Mike

You're welcome, and I must have been fishing there about the same time as your last trip.  The 10-11"ers didn't make the trip worth while.  But these are a little better, hope you get a chance to go catch a few... good luck.. Jeff

(07-20-2024, 12:17 PM)Bduck Wrote: Thanks Jeff, for getting thru your post. The pig is a fun lake to play and catching adds to it. I went thru several postings lost and like you I would get frustrated. I found a way to cure that by hitting the "save as draft" tab below as I went along creating those longer posts. Then you can go back into "edit draft" as need to continue draft & post. I'm sure there are others here on this forum get pissed off too for losing their posts.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't noticed the draft deal, so Ill have to use it more often... My problem is I'm dumb enough to think it won't happen to me... I'll just hurry and be okay... Don't know how many posts I've lost in the past, but it wasn't just a few, so I should be smart enough to know it's going to happen...Thanks for this option, I'll look into it... Jeff

(07-20-2024, 01:36 PM)dubob Wrote:       <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536869121 1107305727 33554432 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-familyConfusedwiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-469750017 -1040178053 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:8.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt; mso-ligaturesConfusedtandardcontextual;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:11.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:8.0pt; line-height:107%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Some (most?) of you will find this tedious, but here's what I do for longer post messages. I construct them in MS Word first, then edit and correct spelling, grammar, etc.  Then cut and paste into BFT or another forum group as necessary.  The plus side is that MS Word saves the document as you write it and I have not lost one that I can recall.  The con side is that it takes a few more keystrokes to cut & paste after your done writing.  But I doubt you will ever lose another post because BFT messed up or you inadvertently hit a wrong key.  I built this post in Word and then cut and posted it on BFT.  Easy, peasy.

Unfortunately, the transfer also carries all of the word formatting shown highlighted above and you will have to select that and delete it before posting.  But you won't lose those long postings that frustrate you.  If deleting the formatting carried forward is too much of a PITA, you can also write up your post in Word Pad or some other text app that doesn't have all that formatting attached to it, but the edit functions like spell check and grammar are mostly gone.

Tight lines everybody.

Hey Bob,
You are very correct on the smartest way to do the post, like mentioned above I'm not always the smartest, but maybe I have a chance to learn to be a little smarter... At least on the longer posts...  Thanks Jeff

(07-21-2024, 08:01 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(07-19-2024, 02:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Man I hate this forum at times... Was just finishing a fairly good write up and it froze up and lost the whole post... now the motivation to make a good post is gone, so, sorry you just get the readers digest version...

How is the electric motor working out for you, I havent fished porcupine for probably 10 years or more after the kokes were getting so small I started fishing them back in 1976 when i got stationed here. My kids grew up camping and fishing there before idiots started turning it into a dump and left trash all over. Sure miss those years.

(07-22-2024, 02:02 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Porcupine has been great to me this year.  I've fished it three times for kokanee.  14, 16, and 18 fish on each trip.  I was reluctant to post until someone else did.  Best fishing was VERY early morning until about 9:30-10am.  30' down (probably deeper now) and about 50 feet behind the ball.  Squids and dodgers.  Fish aren't huge (12-14" but perfect for smoking and eating.  A football player from USU drowned up there on Saturday.

Hey Scott, I debated on posting or not as well, but been so long since I've been fishing it was the only trip I had to post about all summer, so hope I didn't cause too much harm increasing pressure up there... 

I seen that deal for the football player, man that is terrible... When I was there, there were probably 20 youth swimming and paddle boarding over to the cliff to jump off... Crazy kids, I used to be dumb enough to think it was fun to get hammered by the water slap as you jump off of too high of cliffs... I think I've learned better by now, but it used to be fun going with friends and doing such stuff... Feel bad for the friends and family of the guy that didn't come up... That's a Sad deal how a fun day turns so bad and he probably didn't even feel a threat at the time... I have family that come up each summer and love to jump off the bridges and laugh at me when I tell them to wear a lifejacket... Guess I'm a fuddy duddy, but better to be over safe than not come up...  I know they can swim great and all when they are conscious, but what happens if they get knocked out??? 

Anyway, sounds like you're having a great summer and getting out to lots of spots and catching some fish... Must be great to be on the retirement time schedule.. I'm jealous and hope I can be there sometime before too long... Later Jeff...

(07-22-2024, 03:19 AM)brookie Wrote:

Not that I ever fish Porcupine, but I have a question. Why the 50' set back? I fish regularly for kokanee on other waters. When they are on the surface, I use long setbacks, sometimes longer than 50'. However when I find the fish 25' or deeper I usually shorten the setbacks as I do not see the fish show boat shyness. Fished Jordanelle, twice this last week and Flaming Gorge once. Fish were 35+ feet deep. I used 10 and 15' setbacks with great success. I'm not questioning your success, just wondering the theory behind the long line. Seems it increases the tangle likelihood.
You bring up a very good question, I typically use a short setback to avoid the snag/tangle issues, but I followed the discussion last year with all the new side finders and livescopes showing how the fish were scattering around the boats and I think they recommended the longer setbacks and we fished shorter on this trip and didn't catch a fish on that rod, so I think I'll try longer next trip just to see what happens... If i fish alone I can try this a little easier than when I have multiple rods all fishing at the same time... Too much chance to tangle up if it doesn't work..  I'd like to hear what others have found on this topic... Lter Jeff
(07-22-2024, 12:35 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(07-19-2024, 08:31 PM)gmwahl Wrote: Thanks Jeff, that helps.  I might just try my old fashioned method of trolling with dipsy divers so that I can send them out to the sides. Sounds like keeper sizes though.  Last ones I caught out of there were 10".

Mike

You're welcome, and I must have been fishing there about the same time as your last trip.  The 10-11"ers didn't make the trip worth while.  But these are a little better, hope you get a chance to go catch a few... good luck.. Jeff

(07-20-2024, 12:17 PM)Bduck Wrote: Thanks Jeff, for getting thru your post. The pig is a fun lake to play and catching adds to it. I went thru several postings lost and like you I would get frustrated. I found a way to cure that by hitting the "save as draft" tab below as I went along creating those longer posts. Then you can go back into "edit draft" as need to continue draft & post. I'm sure there are others here on this forum get pissed off too for losing their posts.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't noticed the draft deal, so Ill have to use it more often... My problem is I'm dumb enough to think it won't happen to me... I'll just hurry and be okay... Don't know how many posts I've lost in the past, but it wasn't just a few, so I should be smart enough to know it's going to happen...Thanks for this option, I'll look into it... Jeff

(07-20-2024, 01:36 PM)dubob Wrote:       <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536869121 1107305727 33554432 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-familyConfusedwiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-469750017 -1040178053 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:8.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt; mso-ligaturesConfusedtandardcontextual;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:11.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:8.0pt; line-height:107%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Some (most?) of you will find this tedious, but here's what I do for longer post messages. I construct them in MS Word first, then edit and correct spelling, grammar, etc.  Then cut and paste into BFT or another forum group as necessary.  The plus side is that MS Word saves the document as you write it and I have not lost one that I can recall.  The con side is that it takes a few more keystrokes to cut & paste after your done writing.  But I doubt you will ever lose another post because BFT messed up or you inadvertently hit a wrong key.  I built this post in Word and then cut and posted it on BFT.  Easy, peasy.

Tight lines everybody.

Hey Bob,
You are very correct on the smartest way to do the post, like mentioned above I'm not always the smartest, but maybe I have a chance to learn to be a little smarter... At least on the longer posts...  Thanks Jeff

(07-21-2024, 08:01 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

Hey Scott, I debated on posting or not as well, but been so long since I've been fishing it was the only trip I had to post about all summer, so hope I didn't cause too much harm increasing pressure up there... 

I seen that deal for the football player, man that is terrible... When I was there, there were probably 20 youth swimming and paddle boarding over to the cliff to jump off... Crazy kids, I used to be dumb enough to think it was fun to get hammered by the water slap as you jump off of too high of cliffs... I think I've learned better by now, but it used to be fun going with friends and doing such stuff... Feel bad for the friends and family of the guy that didn't come up... That's a Sad deal how a fun day turns so bad and he probably didn't even feel a threat at the time... I have family that come up each summer and love to jump off the bridges and laugh at me when I tell them to wear a lifejacket... Guess I'm a fuddy duddy, but better to be over safe than not come up...  I know they can swim great and all when they are conscious, but what happens if they get knocked out??? 

Anyway, sounds like you're having a great summer and getting out to lots of spots and catching some fish... Must be great to be on the retirement time schedule.. I'm jealous and hope I can be there sometime before too long... Later Jeff...

(07-22-2024, 03:19 AM)brookie Wrote:

You bring up a very good question, I typically use a short setback to avoid the snag/tangle issues, but I followed the discussion last year with all the new side finders and livescopes showing how the fish were scattering around the boats and I think they recommended the longer setbacks and we fished shorter on this trip and didn't catch a fish on that rod, so I think I'll try longer next trip just to see what happens... If i fish alone I can try this a little easier than when I have multiple rods all fishing at the same time... Too much chance to tangle up if it doesn't work..  I'd like to hear what others have found on this topic... Lter Jeff

I was wondering if it was a 'lake specific' issue. Living in Provo, I have never made it to Porcupine - have too many koke waters (Jordanelle, Strawberry, Rockport, E-Lake) so much closer, I just don't get up that way. In the waters I fish, if the fish are in the top 20' or so, they definitely scatter with the boat requiring long setbacks, but not so much at deeper depths. Again, you know your home waters - I wasn't suggesting a change, just curious of the rationale. Thanks
As to the setbacks. Its personal preference mixed with some science. The fish do scatter when boats are above. How much they scatter depends on a combinations of several-to-many things (what overall depth of the water, what depth the fish are at, how clear the water is, what type of rock walls/cliffs are close to where you are trolling (sound bounces off those rock walls and we were fishing very close the walls), and how many other boats are trolling in a particular area. Personally, I RARELY fish shorter than 50' behind the ball and at Bear Lake in the shallower water I will run 150-175' back! In the deeper water I "only" run 80-120' behind the ball in water 70' and less. Over 70' depths, I will shorten that up to 60-80'. I challenge people to measure out 30' in their yard, then go 50' back. Then just look at it. It is pretty dang close to what would be the surface. Anyway, I SOLELY run superline (braid) on ALL my trolling rods and about 90% of my casting rods. I use a 6-8' piece of mono or flouro as a leader. The superlines basically have no stretch so running back further doesn't have any impact when it comes to hooks up compared to mono where you might get 2-3' of stretch in 50' of line. I also like slow action, medium weight rod for trolling for both kokes and lakers. When casting I like the fast action rods much better. The slow action rods allow you to fight the relatively soft-mouthed kokes without ripping hooks out. There are many people who like the noodle-soft koke rods, but I want to land fish more quickly than the noodle rods permit. Each to their own, but those are my reasons.
I get it, our personal experiences - what has been successful for 'me personally' gives us confidence in how we approach situations including how we fish. Same reason some have favorite colors and some prefer sling blades and others like dakota or skate board dodgers. Thanks, for the ideas. I always like to learn new techniques so when others do things significantly different from my "go to' I like to hear their reasons.
Setback issue for me is resolved by using snap weights. Typical 35' setback and another 50 to 75' of line gets the lure where I want and a long way behind boat. If I have someone else in the boat my other two lines will be on downriggers with a 35'-to-50'-foot setback depending on fish depth. That's just me. I've fished with shorter setbacks on the riggers and not really seen a big difference in catch rate. I will say snap weights tend to outfish the riggers. Livescope shows a lot of kokes passing by then turning around to chase the lures so the "boat scatter" may not be as big an issue as we think. Just an opinion. We fish what we have confidence in.
So a question I have with set backs is how much does your lures drop from the ball to say a 50' set back? I'm sure that depends on the lure, so probably no correct answer, but just looking for a ballpark idea? For instance if you use a dodger and squid will it drop similar behind the ball as it does on the same line out the back of the boat... at the surface? If that's the case I imagine they drop maybe 3-5' per 50' back depending on boat speed... So if the fish are between 30-40 foot deep we should run the ball at 30' and lure will drop into the center of the zone... does that sound correct??? Thanks J
Many studies have shown that fish do scatter when a boat passes over them.  Some species more than others.  Walleyes are indeed boat shy.  Trout and kokanee, not as much as walleye.  But what I have observed over many years of trolling is that I almost always see fish directly beneath the boat displayed on my sonar.  The top 5 to 10 feet of the water column directly under the boat has a lot of clutter that masks any fish that might be there, but below 10 feet, I mark a lot of fish as I troll over them.  I do not have any of the newer sonar systems like ‘Livescope’ but know folks that do and have fished with them.  You can see that fish are there.

I almost never use a setback greater than 50 feet as measured on my digital line counter reels.  Most of the time at 25 feet down or greater, I might use 10 to 15 feet of setback.  At 10 to 20 feet down I’ll stretch that back to about 30 to 40 feet.  I catch a lot of fish.  One memorable outing on Echo, a friend and I caught and released 60 plus trout in 4 hours at a depth of 15 to 18 feet and 30 feet back from the riggers.  When fishing the Gorge for kokanee at depths of 40 feet or deeper, my setback is 10 to 15 feet.  I get limits most of the time in 2 to 4 hours.  I’ve fished on friend’s boats where they like the 100 feet setbacks and we both get limits.

My experiences over the past 40 years of fishing in Utah, doesn’t convince me that setback distances are critical to my catching success.  Lure/bait type, presentation, color, and weather conditions concern me more.  And beside that, the less line I have to reel in to catch and/or release the fish, the better it is for me and the fish if released.

Unlike Scott, I prefer the noodle rods and the 4 on my boat are 7’ Ugly Stik Ultra-lights with Abu-Garcia digital line counter reels.  The rods were under $40 each when I bought them 5 years ago.  Still catching fish.  I use medium/medium-heavy fast actions rods for catfish, wipers, walleye, etc.  My tackle may not work for you and that’s fine.  Part of the fun of fishing is figuring out what does work for you.  Tight lines to one and all.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-23-2024, 07:40 PM)dubob Wrote: Many studies have shown that fish do scatter when a boat passes over them.  Some species more than others.  Walleyes are indeed boat shy.  Trout and kokanee, not as much as walleye.  But what I have observed over many years of trolling is that I almost always see fish directly beneath the boat displayed on my sonar.  The top 5 to 10 feet of the water column directly under the boat has a lot of clutter that masks any fish that might be there, but below 10 feet, I mark a lot of fish as I troll over them.  I do not have any of the newer sonar systems like ‘Livescope’ but know folks that do and have fished with them.  You can see that fish are there.

I almost never use a setback greater than 50 feet as measured on my digital line counter reels.  Most of the time at 25 feet down or greater, I might use 10 to 15 feet of setback.  At 10 to 20 feet down I’ll stretch that back to about 30 to 40 feet.  I catch a lot of fish.  One memorable outing on Echo, a friend and I caught and released 60 plus trout in 4 hours at a depth of 15 to 18 feet and 30 feet back from the riggers.  When fishing the Gorge for kokanee at depths of 40 feet or deeper, my setback is 10 to 15 feet.  I get limits most of the time in 2 to 4 hours.  I’ve fished on friend’s boats where they like the 100 feet setbacks and we both get limits.

My experiences over the past 40 years of fishing in Utah, doesn’t convince me that setback distances are critical to my catching success.  Lure/bait type, presentation, color, and weather conditions concern me more.  And beside that, the less line I have to reel in to catch and/or release the fish, the better it is for me and the fish if released.

Unlike Scott, I prefer the noodle rods and the 4 on my boat are 7’ Ugly Stik Ultra-lights with Abu-Garcia digital line counter reels.  The rods were under $40 each when I bought them 5 years ago.  Still catching fish.  I use medium/medium-heavy fast actions rods for catfish, wipers, walleye, etc.  My tackle may not work for you and that’s fine.  Part of the fun of fishing is figuring out what does work for you.  Tight lines to one and all.

Man do I appreciate all the info you guys have. All of my Kokanee fishing has been learning by mistake, watching seminars and this message board. I follow the 100 rule. Down 10’ out 90 and so on. I may change things up.
(07-23-2024, 07:34 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So a question I have with set backs is how much does your lures drop from the ball to say a 50' set back?  I'm sure that depends on the lure, so probably no correct answer, but just looking for a ballpark idea?  For instance if you use a dodger and squid will it drop similar behind the ball as it does on the same line out the back of the boat... at the surface?  If that's the case I imagine they drop maybe 3-5' per 50' back depending on boat speed... So if the fish are between 30-40 foot deep we should run the ball at 30' and lure will drop into the center of the zone... does that sound correct???  Thanks J

I guess it depends on the dodgers being used and the length of the clip on the ball. In the early spring, fishing shallow, I have noticed that the smaller sling blades trail up from the ball. Fishing Jordanelle in the early spring with smaller slings, I have to put some split shot in front of the dodger to get it to not plane on the surface if the rigger ball is less than 11' or so down (long setbacks). Recently with 10' setbacks at 35', on lvs it looks like the dodgers (larger slings) are still a bit higher than the ball. Another factor is I use 18" cord seps rigger clips, which with the rods 'loaded' probably put the line axis at least a foot above the ball.

Then talk Kokabow dodgers that are a lot heavier and that probably changes everything - I have lots of kokabow dodgers but haven't looked at them on the scope recently. I know the kokabow dodgers don't plane on the surface without split shot when fished shallow.

While I am out fishing, I try not to overthink it. I put the ball down to where I think the fish should be, use the electronics and adjust until I'm successful and then use the rigger counter to put me back there for the next fish. The electronics show me that the fish will move up or down much farther than I ever thought if they like the dodger you have on.