Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COOKIN' CATFISH...& BULLHEADS
Tis the season for kittyfish.  Once the waters warm the whiskerfish swarm.  More people are catching more cats.  And I have been getting requests for some of the recipes I have posted in the past.  So here is a whole collection.

A lot of folks think they don't like catfish.  "Tried it once and it was terrible".  That is usually due to one of two reasons.  1.  The fish came from stagnant weedy waters.  Or 2.  It was not cooked well. 

Catfish have heavier flesh than trout or most of the so-called "warm water" species.  So they take longer in the pan to completely cook through...until white and flaky.  But when it is done right, you can favorably compare it to many of the more prestigious species.  My wife and I refer to the lovely catfish fillets from Willard Bay as "Willard Bay Sole".  It ain't far off.

As a general rule, if you plan to cook and eat the catfish you catch, you will find them easier to fillet and cook if they are under about 20 inches.  If they get too much larger...and older...they are more likely to take much longer to cook and more likely to have that "catfish taste".  Trimming the red flesh from the lateral line on the sides of the fillets also helps improve the flavor. 

Some of the attached PDF files make note that the recipes are good for other species too.  So don't be afraid to experiment with any of the suggested methods or seasonings...or to substitute other kinds of fish.

Attached Files
.pdf   BULLHEAD PREP.pdf (Size: 515.21 KB / Downloads: 21)
.pdf   CATFISH FILLETING.pdf (Size: 424.86 KB / Downloads: 15)
.pdf   FISH CHILI.pdf (Size: 711.09 KB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   FISH RUMAKI.pdf (Size: 558.56 KB / Downloads: 12)
.pdf   FISH WINGS.pdf (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   GARLIC BUTTER SAUTE'.pdf (Size: 832.34 KB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   GRILLED CATFISH.pdf (Size: 591.97 KB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   KITTY KRISPIES.pdf (Size: 561.89 KB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   SMOKED KITTY PREP.pdf (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   SMOKIN CATFISH.pdf (Size: 645.52 KB / Downloads: 10)
Years ago you posted your smoked catfish tutorial/recipe here on this site. I gave it a try and have been smoking kitties ever since. I lost count of the number of people I have shared a piece with, and the number of high praises for the taste. None of them can believe it was catfish as they greedily finish off a nice piece of smoky goodness.

Thanks for posting again.
(07-19-2024, 05:49 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Years ago you posted your smoked catfish tutorial/recipe here on this site. I gave it a try and have been smoking kitties ever since. I lost count of the number of people I have shared a piece with, and the number of high praises for the taste. None of them can believe it was catfish as they greedily finish off a nice piece of smoky goodness.

Thanks for posting again.
Glad it worked out for you.  My standard "disclaimer" is that everybody has different tastes and preferences.  So I freely advise anybody who tries any of my posted recipes to feel free to alter the ingredients, times, methods or whatever.  

When it comes to smoking there are really a lot of variables...especially with all of the new types of smoking systems available today.  My post was for the use of the old "Little Chief" wood chip smoker...which can produce different results with different times of year, different temps and different kinds of wood chips.  That is, after the different recipes for brining/curing before ever putting the fish in the smoker.  With a lot of the newer smokers you can more easily regulate temperatures to control smoking time, etc.  Whatever system you use, it is likely to require some experimentation to get it just the way you want it.  

But, as you mentioned, most of the folks who have sampled the output from my method over the years have been pleasantly surprised at the flavor and texture of the end results.  And I still like it.  But with my current kidney condition my doc advises against too much salt or too much protein.  So I haven't done any smoking for a couple of years.  Getting older sure reduces the number of life's pleasure we can still enjoy.  
Thanks Pat! This is another great example of the many things you have learned and then shared over the years!
Thank you Pat. This helps so much for guys like me that lack the confidence to clean those fish properly.
(07-19-2024, 11:00 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Thank you Pat. This helps so much for guys like me that lack the confidence to clean those fish properly.
Hey Joe, we all learn by doing.  But it helps to have good input from someone who has already  "been there".  We might get together someday to catch a few and I'll do an up close and personal demo of my ninja filleting skills.  Ha.  In the meantime, one of my videos shows some actual electric knife work on cats.  You can find the video at:
LINK TO CAT VIDEO
tks for taking time to share on what to do with them cats!  Do believe I'll try your 'Kitty Krispies'..that sounds pretty good..