Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humminbird Matrix Fish Finders
I took my old Humminbird WideEye fish finder off my boat and converted it into a permanent ice fishing setup which has worked really great. Now I am looking at the Humminbird Matrix 37 fishfinder for my boat. These are set up for use with a GPS. Anybody have any experience with these new Matrix units that they could share? Thanks in advance. Mr. J.
[signature]
I have been looking to replace the hummingbird on my boat with a Matrix 27 with gps.I was thinking about using my handheld GPS,but after investigating it I found that with the cost of the cables,it was only about 18$ more to buy the Hummingbird GPS.This would be the price thru Cabelas,they have a combo special in their latest catalog for 329.88$ on the Matrix 27,379.98$ for the Matrix 37(with rebate)
[signature]
No experience with the Matrix, but you're about the first person I've ever heard who had a Hummingbird and didn't want to run as fast as he could in the other direction.
What are the problems others are having with Humminbird fish finders? I really have not talked to anyone else who has owned a Humminbird before, but the one I bought for my first fishing boat a dozen years or so ago worked great until the day I sold it. The WideEye I have now is incredible. With 500 Watts (RMS)and 4,000 Watts (Peak to Peak) it will pick up a #10 Rat Finkie at 50'+ and ID's fish with what seems to be very good accuracy. The only thing I have found is you have to make sure the sensitivity (gain) is set properly for the depth you are at and where it has both a wide and narrow signal, you might not get a lot of definition until you select the narrow beam only. The wide beam is great in some conditions but not all. Maybe I have been just lucky? Thanks, Mr. J.
[signature]
Hey Fishcrazy, how has your experience been with your old Humminbird? Mine have been very positive but one reply to my original post revealed that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with Humminbirds. Any thoughts on this? Anybody else have good or bad experiences with Humminbirds? Thanks, Mr. J.
[signature]
My Hummingbird was OEM on my boat when I got it,so it was kind of the minimum,but it worked ok.The only thing I had against it was above 15 mph I lost the bottom.The new ones are good for 70 mph.
[signature]
Mount a HB next to a quality graph and you'll see what you're missing on you HB. Plus, they have a short life span. As the post above says, most guys inherit them when they buy a boat. But the quality of them is such that they're only good for marking depth, not structure, bottom hardness, or even fish.

If you lose bottom at speed, it's a problem with transducer placement.
Gumbo, is that the case with these new Matrix units? They really seem to be a cut way above the previous models. Lots of resolution and power. You might want to go the the Humminbird website and check them out. What would you call a "quality Graph? Thanks for your input. Mr. J.
[signature]
I totally disagree with Gumbo about longevity and usefulness of Hummin' Birds.. I use a Hummin Bird LCR 4000. Its at least 12 years old. It was state of the art back in 1992, but it still serves my purpose very well. I can watch my jig in 85 feet of water without a problem on Bear Lake. Plus this unit has been to fishing-hell and back and never so much as blinked. My dad used it back in Michigan on Lake St. Clair as well as the great lakes. It took a tremendous beating on rough water. We used it to fish for suspended salmon on Lk. Michigan as well as for walleye on the bottom in the Detroit River. It is a great unit and I'd buy another Hummin Bird in a second. I believe its all in how much you know about operating the units. Once you get them dialed in to your needs and they will all work just fine. I've used Lowrance, Eagle, Humminbird and the Pinpoint units for both work and pleasure. They all seem to be good, just personal preferences separate them.
[signature]
I've had my wideeye for years, bought new. I've used it on my boat for a few years, then my tube for a few years, and this year ice fishing. I've never had a problem with it. I'd like to get a newer and better unit, but only because so many improvements have been made over the years. I wouldn't have a problem buying another humminbird.
[signature]
The one thing HB has going for them is their acquisition of Zercom several years back. They've just produced too much junk in years past for anglers (other than those looking for the cheapest unit) to have any confidence in their products. But their latest release of products makes you wonder if they've turned things around. Maybe they have. And their price point is enough to make you look. But based on their reputation, I wouldn't pay money to be their guineau pig. Safer to wait and see.

What's a quality graph? Look at what the pro's use (walleye pro's) if they're not sponsored by the vendor. Most will have Lowrance graphs, some will have Genetrons (a pricey $3K unit), some will have Pinpoints. Garmin and Vexilar's Edge are also good units. It depends on your budget, but I think a good graph is worth it since it's your eyes to the underwater world.
Been out of town down to the Navajo Reservation working all week. Thanks for the info, although now I am totally Confused. Seems like there are a lot of differing opinions out there. I will have trouble justifying the $$$ of a high quality graph. I was looking in the $200-$300 range.
[signature]
There's lots of good sonar choices in that price range. Look at Garmin and Eagle. If you want GPS, buy a handheld that you can take fishing, hunting, hiking, driving, etc.
I just ordered a MATRIX-27 on the net for $230 with shipping,I have had my old one for four years,and it never gave me any trouble.I have heard in years past they had trouble with them,but everyone I have talked to has had no trouble.
[signature]
There are two fish finders I've been looking at lately, for ice fishing I'd choose the Bottom Line 1100 or 1101. They have a price that can't be beat at $59.99 and $69.99, they both put out 1000 watts but they only has 128x64 pixels. They work great when jigging because you will be able to see your jig and also any fish that is near it.
For my boat I would get the Garmin 160 or 240, both put out 3200 watts with 160x160 pixels or 240x240 pixels. My 2003 Bass Pro catalog prices them at $199.00 and $299.00 but I think they came down in price for 2004. The 240 also comes with a speed and temp. sensor while the 160 only has a temp. sensor. These fish finders are what I've been looking at but like you said there are a lot of finders out there in the two to three hundred price range. WH2
[signature]
Hey Truc,

A new graph for $60 or $70 sounds amazing, but it kind of scares me too. I'm not a big fan of LCD graphs on ice, preferring a flasher instead. And I think you'd get more bang for your buck in the long run with a flasher. A lot of guys put a flasher on the bow of their boat for jigging too. Gadgets whose biggest selling point is that it's the 'lowest price' scares me. IMHO
A friend bought one of these new low price Bottom line finders and when he was using it the other day he could not only see the jig but could see the fish come up to the jig. I guess the real test will come with long term use and seeing how it does at colder temps in the long run. It comes down to what you like, I've used both, flashers and LCD and I like looking at the LCD screen better. I've never had a problem with the cold temps while my LCD but I know some people have, I wonder if that isn't because they have been dropped or some how damaged before using them in the cold temps. Bottom line for me is price and going with something I like, 60 or 70 dollars compared to 300 to 400 dollars or more is a big difference. WH2
[signature]
I've had a couple friends have the Bottomline finders completely crap out on them after very little use. They warned me against them. Not sure if it's the new ones or not. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Humminbird Matrix series from the guys dragging them through the salt on yaks. Fishfinders get no harder abuse than on the yaks in the salt, so it tells a lot. I need a quality new finder for my yak for the salt. I'm hesitant though because I had such poor performance from my old Humminbird. I heard Garmin has dicontinued the old 240 Blue line and they are available at closeout prices. They are great units, but the resolution could be better. Just my dos centavos.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I just got the latest Bass Pro marine catalog and you are right they don't list the 240 blue but they still have the Garmin 240. What is even better is the new 250 they just came out with in January, it has 4.7 fstn display, 320x320 pixels and 3200 watts peak to peak. The frequency is 400kHz (20*) with the duel freq that cost $269.99, it even has a temp log. WH2
[signature]
WH2,

If you're interested in the old Garmin 240 Blue, West Marine online has them on closeout for a song. It's a very good buy. I personnaly am leaning toward the Matrix 17, which doesn't have the GPS or dual frequency, but would meet my yak needs perfectly and can be had for a good price. Choices, choices, choices LMAO

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]