Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHANGING FLY LINE......??
HEY GUYS,

WELL THIS IS THE SPRING I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO CHANGE OUT MY FLY LINE ON MY ROD. I THINK I WANT A 8 WEIGHT SHOOTING TAPER WEIGHT FORWARD LINE. ANY COLOR ADVANTAGES I SHOULD CONSIDER OR DOES IT MATTER FOR ANYTHING BUT VISIBILITY?

DOWN TO THE QUESTION, WHEN I CHANGE DO I NEED NEW BACKING TOO, AND HOW DO I ATTACH NEW LEADER AND STUFF TO FLY LINE, AND HOW DO I ATTACH FLY LINE TO BACKING...OR IS IT JUST BETTER TO HAVE IT DONE AT THE STORE? I KNOW ANGLERS INN WAS SPECTACULAR AT THAT STUFF, AND I FOUND ONE OF THEIR EX-EMPLOYEES WORKING AT GALYANS DOWNTOWN, BUT I DONT KNOW IF I WANT TO RELY ON THE STORES, I MAY HAVE TO DO IT SOMETIME IN THE BOONIES, AND BETTER TO LEARN HERE AND NOW, THAN OUT THERE AND THEN. SO ANY KNOT SUGGESTIONS OR PROCEDURES I SHOULD FOLLOW. I AM READING UP ON IT, I HAVE A GREAT BOOK THAT I RECOMMEND EVERYONE GET, BUT IM NOT A NAME DROPPER OR FREE ADVERTISING AGENT SO IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE NAME PM ME AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW. BUT ANYWAY.....HOW DO I CHANGE FLY LINE!!!!????THANKS ALL FOR HELP.

LATERS,
[signature]
For an 8 weight I don't think color will matter since you won't be doing much stealth fishing with it. Get the color you like and can see the best. I don't think you'll need to change your backing but you might need to add/remove some if your new line is a different volume than the old one. I use the Albright knot to connect the line to backing and the nail-less nail knot for the leader. There are other knots you can use for your leader but that one is easy to do in the field. As for changing just strip off the old line cut the knot tie on the new line and wind it on.

FM
[signature]
i think that color is just preference and visibility. as for the knots and how you do all that stuff, i could tell you but it would take a long time, here is what i usually do. have the guys at the stores do it, but have them show you what to do, you will get done faster and you will have the knowledge to do it yourself if you have to.
[signature]