Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Friday (Report)
Hit the Bear on Friday from about 7:30-3:30. Fished off GRP. Fishing early was pretty good for light bites. I cut my 2 holes, put my graph in one of them and was showing a fish on the bottom. It seemed I couldn't get my lure down fast enough to him. He was still there once I got It down, and with a little coaxing I got him to hit. It was a small mack. Jazz was up fishing with me. He kept getting some very light bites, we thought it was a whitefish, he downsized and lo & behold it also was a small mack. The thrill of the day was when Jazz hooked up on what we thought was just your usual small cutt/mack, but after bringing it in 25-30 ft., it decided to play like a big boy. We were sure it was a decent mack, but to our surprise, it turned out to be a 7-3/4 lb cutt. What a beautiful fish. After a few quick pictures, it went back in the drink. We ended up with 4 small mack, and the one cutt by 11:30. Jazz lost 2 other fish also. After 11:30 a lot of fish would come look at our offerings, but no takers. We also ran into Fishnate while out on the ice. It was nice meeting you and discovering what a small planet we live on. Our trip off the ice was an adventure. First we hit a slushy spot, which wasn't slushy at 7:30 in the morn, and was throwing water everywhere with the wheeler. We made it past that, got to dry land, well sorta, and sunk in the soft snow on shore. It was a beautiful day, with lots of sun, but it sure softened things up. After some digging, and throwing sand all over the snow with the wheeler, we made it back to the truck. Jazz's cut was 26-1/4 inches long, 15-3/8 girth. I learned a neat formula a few years ago that you can very accurately get a trouts weight without a scale. It goes like this:

Weight = Length X Girth(squared)/800

Do the math for this cutt and it comes out to be 7.75 lbs.

I'll have Jazz post some pictures of his cutt when they get developed.
[signature]
sounds like a pretty good day to me. get those pics up we all would like to see them.
[signature]
"GRP"? I know Gus' Point, but what does "GRP" stand for? Also, how deep of water were you fishing?
[signature]
Gus Rich's Point is what it stands for.
[signature]