Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry
Went to the Berry on Saterday. Got there around 0700 and it was snowing and the wind was blowing hard. Took me and my two sons. We unloaded snowmobiles at the marina and headed across the lake. We caught 17 fish. 2 went over the slot limit and 2 were rainbows. All fish were released unharmed. We used foxies and crickets. And fished in 16 ft of water. We were fishing inside our tent all day except my oldest son who was convinced his hole was jinxed so he put on all his winter gear and drilled a hole about 10 ft from us in the tent and pulled out 6 fish in 20 minutes. I guess it was jinxed? Any way lots of snow and slush on the ice I noticed several snowmobiles stuck on the ice. Two guys got stuck not too far from us and they couldnt get out so they walked off and left the snowmobiles. We left around 1:00 pm and sure enough we were stuck too. Spent the next hour trying to get back to the marina. Fishing was great. Weather sucked and Ice conditions were terrible as far as snow and slush goes. Any hows thats our report.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kokanee, sounds like you did good compared to a lot of people. Is this your last trip to the Berry? With all the slush it sounds like it will only get worse not that it is warming up. Have you ever had any luck catching Kokes through the ice up there? WH2
[signature]
Sorry WH it took me so long to get around to answer your questions. I have never caught a koke through the ice in fact I have never caught a koke at strawberry usually go to the gorge for the kokes. I am hoping to get back up to the berry on saterday to give it another try. That will probably be my last trip for ice fishing. Been a fun year.
[signature]
Catching kokanee at Strawberry is tough, I've caught a few over the years but it is hard to be consistent and I've never caught them though the ice there. I also prefer the Gorge for kokanee in the summer but this winter I finally caught some kokanee at Causey while ice fishing. Good luck on your next trip to the berry. WH2
[signature]
that was a hot koke bite at causey that day first ones i ever got was that day
[signature]
That was a great day at causey, I hope it will happen again but it could have been one of those lucky days when everything goes just right. I might just try it again after the ice is off and see if I can find the kokes with a small boat. WH2
[signature]
I went to the berry sunday & monday this last week, really nice warm weather but I seen a couple of atv's get stuck only 20 yards from parking lot I guess they didn't know about the slush layer under the snow??? People got to stop bringing their atv's up there! everybody just getting them stuck! Its not like last year where you could use them all winter up their! But back to the fishin I caught 10 fish (9 cuts 1 bow) on sunday @ chicken cr east and on monday fished Jakes Bay east side caught 20 fish all cuts all in the slot! really good fishin this week probably the best since 1st of Jan, figure I'll keep hitting the Berry until mid April ice fishin just have to fight the slush!
[signature]
How deep of water were you fishing in and how far from the shore?? I hear that the fish will start moving really shallow this time of year and was wondering if they have moved yet. I know they did this last year at Scofield and they were so thick we were almost snagging them instead of them taking the bait.
[signature]
I guess you are talking about that Christmas eve day when we slaughtered the Kokes on causey. That was beyond a hot koke day. i havent heard a report of a hot day like that all winter.
[signature]
I was fishin from 20' to 35', probably caught most at the 20'-26' level. I only seen one on my flasher at 8' but all the rest down deep. I was using glow jig tipped with power maggots and by the end of the day I didn't have any paint left on my jigs from the sharp teeth of the cuts! Now I'm going to have to hit sportsman w.h to stock up on more or maybe they'll have some at the big expo this weekend?
[signature]