Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLAMING GORGE REPORT
fished flaming gorge this weekend.the drive over friday morning was a special treat but the weather turned out to be excellent.we fished in sheepcreek and hideout for bows and macs.fishing was slow to fair for macs and just slow for bows.we did catch macs every day the biggest being 24 lbs.the ice is going fast friday we started with 8 inches with snow on top saturday we had 50 to 60 mph winds and warm temps all day and it really cooked the ice when we came off saturday night we were pushing slush and the ice is turning green.sunday morning it was cold and it firmed it up for a while but when we left at noon it was 51 deg.in sheepcreek parking lott and there was open water out in the bay between the two islands and i broke through coming off the ice at the ramp.you may still get on for another week or two up north in wyoming but if it stays like this i think the utah side is toast.o-well im ready for the boat anyway i had a great year through the ice up there.but if your planing a trip i would plan on going north but be ready for mud we talked to some guys that fished in anvil they said fishing was slow and everything they had was covered in about six inches of mud.you will need 4x4 they said.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, MAC-ATTAC![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We were the guys you traded places with when we were out in Hideout on Friday. Friday was a great day to be on the ice. We're lucky nobody went thru on that corner in Hideout. The tracks of Jeff's snowmobile when he came in were under water when we came out.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Our biggest fish was 39-1/2 inches long and 21-1/2 lbs caught by polokid. We caught a lot of pups up to 8 lbs. We fish Saturday and Sunday on Anvil. That wind on Saturday was incredible. We hand to pull all our shelters down for fear they'd ripe apart. 50-60 mph is not exaggerating. [/size][/font]
[signature]
HEY BEAR LAKE MAC IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN I WOULD HAVE SAID HOWDY THAT WAS MY FRIEND THAT CAME DOWN IN HIDEOUT AND TALKED TO YOU GUYS BUT I WAS OUT IN THE BAY WHEN YOU GUYS CAME OUT THERE BUT IM KINDA NEW ON THIS SITE SO I DONT KNOW ALL YOU GUYS.I WAS THE GUT ON THE CAT WHEELER WITH THE BIG WHITE ICE HOUSE.MY BIGEST WAS 26 LBS THAT GUYS DAD THAT CAME DOWN AND TALKED TO YOU GOT A 29 LBS IN HIDEOUT AFTER WE TRADED YOU SPOTS.WE LOST A HOUSE TO THAT WIND TO ON SATURDAY.IM NOT KIDDING YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY YOU DIDNT GO THROUGH ON BEHIVE WHEN WE LEFT YESTERDAY THAT WHOLE POINT WAS OPEN AND OUT IN SHEEPCREEK WHERE YOU HAD TO GO IN THE MUD WAS OPEN TO.THERE WAS QUITE A HERD OF YOU GUYS SO WHICH ONE WAS YOU?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I was the guy with the purple and black Arctic Cat snowmobile with the double seat/back rest and the green quickflip III hitched to the back. I had a power auger bungeed on top! I also have a BFT sticker on the front of my sled. I was probably the first guy to come up on you guys just when you were ready to leave. IFG was the guy on the 70's vintage sled in the yellow and black jacket.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]How close were you fishing to our holes in Hideout? I went a little north of your holes in the bay that afternoon but it was dead. You definitely got the best end of that trade. HA![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The two 4 wheelers we had went up on the shore in sheep creek to miss that open water and filled their sleds full of mud! What a mess! Ever dug mud out of your power auger? I stayed right on the shoreline and got through no problem.[/size][/font]
[signature]
It sounds as if my plans for next weekend are shot in the butt. [Sad] Does anyone have a report on the ice condition on the Wy. side say around Anvil, Squaw, or Buckboard ?? My plans may have to turn into a weekend of eye's hunting at Starvation it sounds like,, if,, the ice holds good there......[unsure]
[signature]
WE WERNT VERY CLOSE WE WERE A LOT FARTHER TO THE EAST THAN YOU GUYS WERE WE WERE FISHING THE DEEP HUMPS ON THE SOUTH EAST SIDE OF HIDEOUT IF YOU HAVENT BEEN THERE IN THE BOAT AND HAVE THEM GPS LOCKED THEY ARE HARD TO FIND ON THE ICE THE TOP OF THE HUMP IS ONLY ABOUT 20 FEET ACROSS IT AND ABOUT 30 YARDS LONG BUT THE FISH LIKE TO PLAY KING OF THE HILL ON IT SO IF YOUR IN THE SWEET SPOT YOU CAN DO REALLY WELL THERE IN THE SUMMER ME AND MY KID CAN DOUBLE UP THERE A LOT.SATURDAY THERE WAS SOME HUGE FISH SITTING OUT THERE BUT THEY HAD LOCK JAW PRETTY BAD BUT WE DID MANAGE TO PLUCK A FEW OUT OF THERE BEFORE WE BLEW THEM OF THE HILL.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The ice is fine in Anvil and should be for sometime. We fished Anvil Sat and Sun and there is 14" of ice. Sheep Creek and Hideout are a different story. Hideout had 6" at best and there was open water in places around the submerged island in Sheep Creek(which BTW is showning in low water conditions). Once you get past it, the ice is fine from Kingfisher island to Horseshoe.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the report BLM,, my plans may still hold in that case.. Any good new's out of Anvil end??

Yeah sounds like it was a rough go around Sheep ,,ice wise.. That and the fact the Bow's were slow dont make it any better.. My plan was to bring one smaller mack and a few bow's home to munck,, but now who know's..

Damn it,, the old story for this old kid,, a dollar short and a week late,,LOL!
[signature]
very nice report macattac. sounds like you all had a exciting trip. i went for a ride in a shelter once in a 60 plus once scarry. do you hit the gorge at ice off? have new boat and want to try the gorge in april. would love to hook up with someone who knows what is up. crossineye
[signature]
so many reports of big macks. lets see some pics. i have mack fever and cant wait till the ice comes off. the pics will feed my addiction. thanks

jr8fish
[signature]
HAVE A NEW DIGITAL CAMERA TO STUPID TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE PICS.I CANT WAIT FOR ICEOUT BUT THE BIG FISH CAN BE HARD TO FIND IN THE SPRING CAUSE THEY GO SHALLOW.I LIKE THEM IN MAY AND JUNE THE BEST
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We took lots of pics of Polo's nice mack. IFG is a lot like MAC-ATTAC. He's got to figure out how to download. We'll post them up as soon as we get them.[/size][/font]
[signature]
There is a problem with posting pictures right now unless you have a web site that you can link the picture to. I hope they get it up a working sometime this week.
Mac-Attack, We fish that area every year around memorial day but have never tried it for macks we have always targeted the kokes. I guess we will have to try for the macks this year, I hope you don't mind a few questions. WH2
[signature]