Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gorge 3/4-3/7
What a trip. This was a blast!!!! IFG, BLM and I all arrived at 6 am at the West gate of HAFB on Thurs. after packing stuff in BLM truck and getting coffee we were on our way. Arrived in Mountain View WY to get Snowmobile tags for WY shortly after 9 am. ON our way between Mountain View and Manila, we discovered that when BLM got new tires the week before the tire shop failed to tighten down the driver rear tire. How we discover this??? It is obvious when you hear a loud grinding sound and see the entire wheel roll next to the truck right past you. Due to some excellent piloting from our driver, IFG. he avoided no damage on the breaks of housings in the wheel. NICE JOB!!!

Got to manila!!! Unloaded our stuff at the motel and headed for the lake. We took off out of Lucerine bay headed north towards the pipe line. this was my first time since I was little on the gorge, so i am kinda vague on locations. the 6 people i was with decided to split up to find the fish. IFG and i headed for deeper water (108ft) was fishing for about 45 minutes when mr. big decided to come play. first hit, first fish of the trip decided to pick my jig!!! fishing a white tube with Fishnpro carp meat. after a fun 10 + minute fight with this fish it was on the ice due to IFG help. 21 1/2 lb 39 1/2 inches, personal best fish!!!! the first fish on the newly improved "broomstick rod" a nice one to boot. i got picts with my antique camera, dont have a digital, but IFG got some and will post later. that was the only fish caught that day.

Friday - headed for the Hideout region, it snowed 4 inches the night before. Spread out again IFG son and friend joined us now so 8 total in our group. Caught some pups ranging from 3-8 lbs. But the weather was something else. Absolutely beautiful. Had to be in the 40's no clouds and no "W". fished a few other places. I stabed myself with my filet knife, IFG is multitalented, he serves as a EMT too!!! hehehehe. but i was a wimp and almost past out over a puncture wound.

Saturday- over cast morning and no "W" YET!!! this would change. the group hooked into some pups. I had a double on, one fish on each pole at the same time. that was fun. but at around 11:00 am the "W" came and did it ever 50-60 mph gusts!!! we fished for a bit longer and called it a day. The group wasnt a big fan of 60 MPH "W". Fished anvil this morning

Sunday- went back to anvil for the last morning!!! the group caught some more pups, headed for SLC at 11:00 am

What a trip and what a group. I made great friends with bigpapa (ifg son) his buddy wookie. IFG is a hoot look forward to fishing with him again. My roomie Ron was very kind and accommodating. JEFF i had meet before was very nice to be around and BLM thanks for inviting me on this trip. it was a blast. BTW, everyone manila closes at 7 pm nightly in the winter time., get your food and beer early. thanks for the trip look forward to many more with these people.
[signature]
It sounds like a good time was had by all. I have never fished the Gorge. I am hoping to change that this summer.
[signature]
Sounds like a hell of a trip you guys had,, good for you and way ta go on the larger Mackadoo. Now if the ice will just hold for another week so I can give em a tug![Tongue]
[signature]
sounds like a good trip to me, that first fish must have been fun.
[signature]
Great Report Kid - sounds like the trip up to the Gorge will see you again.

Hope you save a few weekends this summer for the kokanee and Lakers.
[signature]
I am down for some fun this summer. I want to get up there quite a bit!!! I will definitely look your way to go too!!!!
[signature]
My Gorge trips are about over for the year. I've got one or two left in me and I'll have to leave for a while. I'm looking forward to an ice off and maybe one mid-June. They can both be excellent times of year to fish. I had not fished the Gorge in almost two years before this summer, but thanks to BLM I got back in Saddle. The 3 things that always work are: Knowledge of the lake and it's structure, great sonar, and proper lure presentation.

Knowledge of the lake comes with time and money. I'm sure MAC ATTACK can attest to this.

Sonar you can buy, get the best you can afford, BLM taught me this. Learn to use it and it makes things sooooo much easier. Watch it and how fish respond to your presentation. When it quits working, do something else.

Lures and presentation. What worked today might not work tommorow. Blue and silver were always my go to color. Not last year. Maybe this year. Pink and Glow were always hot during late fall, not last year. Bone white and glow seemed to work this weekend, BLM switched to a Green and clear and started off hot Sunday. Why it worked? He found the presentation and depth, I copied him and ended up outfishing him. Completey different bait, same depth and presentation. Does that make me a better fisherman? Heck NO.

Guys that know the lake are tight lipped about what, where and how. I've only been fishing there for 8 years now. I've met and fished with some guys that know it better than some and not as good as others. I've also fished with guys that know it better than most. I often say I have no friends, but in truth, that simply isn't so. I've been taught so many great things by a few wonderfull people, some that are on this board. Alright idiot, come to the point. O.K.

The big secret is, THERE IS NO SECRET. The good Macks are caught by the people willing to put in the time and effort and money to do it. You can learn a lot on a message board, you can learn a lot at a boat ramp. None of it can replace good old trial and error. Get out, troll, jig, talk, ride around. One of these days one of us will replace Ray Johnson in the record books. I hope it is one of you guys.

You all are of course free to disagree with me. You won't convince me otherwise.
[signature]