Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing provo river how?
I was at provo river sunday and saw so many browns and bows![shocked] I never have fished it and dont fly fish. And you cant use worms only artificial bait! I took my kids to fish vivian pond but it wasnt stocked yet.So we walked the edge of the provo river and my daughter has always been gung ho about fishing!And she wanted to fish but i had no idea what to use so i put a jig on her rod and she was jigging for hours trying to get several fish to bite her lure.She would jig it right in front of their noses and nothing! I changed several jigs and they would not look at it. What can i use to fish the provo without a fly rod? My daughter wants to go back to the provo after we get back from the expo next saturday.And i want her to at least have a chance to catch a trout or two! Can anyone give me some advice on how to fish the river ?
[signature]
well I have the lure for you, but so I dont have people get upset that I'm promoting a lur on here , pm me about that one. you can also try rapalas they have worked good for me there try them in rainbow,silver, and gold ones. jigs can work good but go small with them. or try a mepps in gold. hope this helps
[signature]
I agree with the moose, there. Also, you might want to try some panther martin spinners, or blue fox vibrix spinners. Cast them upstream, and reel them in just barely faster than the current. If you want to chuck some bait on the river, go and try out the middle provo river up in the Heber Valley which just got opened up to bait fishing this year. Good luck!
[signature]
Really? What part is that located at? Is it by the midway bridge?
[signature]
From what I understand it's only open to bait to about a mile above the Charleston bridge which is just above Deer Creek. So I hope people don't get busted fishing bait too far up the river.

FM
[signature]
Ocean,

I fish the Prove often both below and above Deer Creek. Would have to agree with moose. Just thought I would add that casting upstream with rapalas and lures work best. Jig can be worked up or down stream. Also dont spend to much time on the fish you can see, as these fish are smart, from constant catch and release. Good luck.

John
[signature]
SPINNING GEAR, SNAP SWIVEL, WITH A CLEAR BUBBLE FLOAT ABOVE IT. KEEP IT SMALL IN THE SWIVEL ATTACH MAYBE 2 OR 3 FEET OF FLOROCARBON LEADER, THEN TIE ON A FLY, BEADHEAD OR NYMPH RIGHT NOW.....NO DRYS YET UNLESS YOU FIND A HATCH. IF ITS HARD TO SEE THE HIT, PUT A TINY PEICE OF FOAM OR SOMETHING THAT FLOATS UP THE LINE A FOOT. I WOULD SAY MARSHMALLOW, BUT THATS BAIT....NO NO. THEY MAKE SEVERAL FOAM STRIKE INDICATORS, YOU WILL PROBALY NEED ONE....SINCE YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT SLACK TO GET THE DRIFT....WITH THE BUBBLE ON YOU HAVE ENOUGH WEIGHT TO TOSS THAT RIG UP TO THE MOUTH OF THE HOLE AND LET IT DRIFT THROUGH THE HOLE, TAILOR THE LENGTH OF LEADER FOR WATER DEPTH....IF YOU START TO SNAG UP, SHORTEN LEADER, IF YOU CATCH NOTHING MAYBE ADD 6INCHES...ITS BETTER TO START LONG AND TRIM DOWN THEN TO GO SHORT AND RE TIE EVERYTHING.....YOU CAN USE A BARREL SWIVEL, I LIKE THE SNAPS THOUGH SO I CAN TIE UP A FEW DIFFERENT LENGTH RIGS, AND LOOP EM ON THE END THEN I CAN JUST CHANGE EM ON THAT SNAP SWIVEL EASILY. THAT IS ONE LITTLE TRICK I USED, OR YOU COULD JUST GOTO THE SECTION OF THE PROVO OVER DEER CREEK RESV. IT IS BAIT ALLOWED AND FULL OF BROWNS AND BOWS' THEY LET YOU HAVE BAIT NOW BECAUSE THEY HAVE OVER POPULATED FISH IN THERE, TOO MANY, SO HUCK A WORM AND HARVEST A FEW AND GET THOSE KIDS INTO SOME FISH.....ONE WARNING, ANYWHERE ON THE PROVO THE FISH ARE SKITTISH TO SAY THE LEAST, STEALTH IS NEEDED, SO TEACH THOSE KIDS TO CAST UP AHEAD OF EM AND WORK A POOL WITHOUT BEING IN IT, TEN FEET AWAY FROM TAIL OF HOLE IS WHERE I GENERALLY STAND, OFF TO ONE SIDE, IF YOU ARE ON THE BANK TRY TO STAND BY A SHRUB OR SOMETHING, EVEN A SMALL TREE.....OR CROUCH NEAR A BUSH....HOPE THAT HELPS.

LATERS,
[signature]
Hey Ocean you can use bait on the Provo a lot closer to home just go downstream from the Olmstead Diversion Dam in Provo Canyon. The Olmstead is about 1 mile above Bridal Veil Falls. Bait is allowed on this stretch and there are no size restrictions on what you can keep. There are some nice browns and rainbows in that stretch of river. You can catch them by drifting a worm through the holes, or you can use rapalas and jigs as has been mentioned. I've caught browns off of a 1/4 oz. jig in the Provo, even down by the shack in Provo where the white bass spawn.

If you want a good place to go, you can probably park at the Upper Falls Park (1/2 mile above Bridal Veil), and fish the river there.
[signature]
I would second Badfish's suggestion. Even for those of us who throw flies consistantly, the Provo River can prove to be a cruel task master. I rarely use any nymph larger than a size 16 on the Provo, more in the 18-22 range. The fish have seen millions of flies, especially around the parks. Ï have done well with a "Pistol Pete" on the Provo on early evenings. You can buy a selection at Wallyworld or at Sportsman's (they call them Buzzer flies I think). They are wolley buggers with propellers in the front. One evening I landed 6 browns in 1/2 hour on a black bugger with the prop. The smallest one was a good 16 inches. Just use a clear bobber (like Badfish said) with the Pete around 3' below. Cast it strait across the current next to the bank.

Good luck!!!
[signature]
I have always done well on the provo with small rooster tails, my favorite colors

are rainbow trout, brown trout, or any other dark color, especially since the browns

target sculpin so the dark colors work best, also make sure it is the ones with the

gold blade. also use the smallest ones possible for your equiptment.. like 1/32-

1/8 ounce. i think a little finness lands more fish. they are very skiddish fish in

that river.

JOe
[signature]
Yeap I agree, rappallas size 9 or smaller in rainbow,brown or silver.Also my favorite spinner for the provo, A vibrax spinner number 2 brown trout pattern(gold blade with red spots).This blade has great action casting up and retreving down stream.
[signature]
The Pin minnow, Banjo minnow, and Pistol Pete are great lures for the Provo!

Lloyd
[signature]
If you try the bait sections of the provo, try using meal worms. Those browns sometimes like to feed on smaller food and the meals will out produce a fat nightcrawler. use small split shots for weight and cast upstream and let it drift down. reel in your slack as it drifts down stream and feel for small bites.
Good Luck!
[signature]
i can say one thing that doesnt work well on the provo. if you can see the fish like that they will rarely hit anything. if you have the right fly they will slurp it up. Sadly the provo river trout are like pets now conditioned to certain thigns and are very difficult to break their habits. i would recommend hitting a deep hole or somewhere out fo the way. it is very difficult to get the fish you spot to hit in that river.
[signature]