Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First wet line of the Year! (Weber River report)
After being house bound for the past 2 months with a new baby, I finally got the "kitchen pass" to go wet a line for a couple of hours last night. Ended up on the Weber around Taggart and had an awesome time. Due to the massive hole I found in my waders, I ended up using my spinning rod and an old pair of irrigation boots to negotiate the mud and snow. Even with the difficult terrain, The weather was beautiful and I was in a T-shirt until the sun went down. I ended up catching exclusively browns on a gold-bladed black panther martin and a small count down rapala in rainbow. Ended up with 7 browns between 10 and 14 inches on the panther martin and then just as the sun went down I cast the rapala into a deep hole and BOOM! Almost as soon as that thing hit the water, a huge brown exploded on it. He took me out of that hole and down a couple of rapids before I finally landed him. By the looks of him he could have been quite old. He had a massive head with a distinct hooked jaw and a couple of canines that would rival a Walleye. I sat there kicking myself that I had forgotten my camera! He was truly a [size 1]magnificent[/size] fish! He ended up being 22 1/2 inches and 4.5 lbs (according to my old De-Liar). This is by far the best fish I have caught on the Weber so far! Overall, It was a great way to start the "soft water" season.
Nice fish! If that weight is correct he must have been pretty fat for a Brown.

FM

p.s. You are almost guaranteed to catch a nice fish whenever you forget your camera![Wink]
[signature]
I thought the same thing about the weight too. I really have never calibrated that old de-Liar for weight (I remember having it in my tackle box for as long as I can remember), but I mainly keep it for the tape measure.

Now I've just got to find a fairly inexpensive digital to take along. Of course , my dogs could verify everything; but only to those of us who speak labrador.[Wink]

But seriously, after that trip and the reports I have been getting from others, I am gaining a new respect for that trashed on little river!
Nice report Ruger and no matter what the fish weighed a 22.5 inch brown is a great fish. Did you see any dead deer in the area you were fishing? WH2
[signature]
Yea, but they looked mostly like road kill. On my way out through Morgan there were still quite a few out on the hillsides. The ones I got a closer look at looked pretty good, but if we get another huge snow storm, I think we will be looking at another HUGE die-off in the northern region.
Thanks for the report! Sounds like an awesome fish.
[signature]
Nice brown![shocked]!! I just love the way the head looks when a big brown gets its kype.
[signature]