Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ok got the tube now what?
just got back from W-mart and they had these Togiak float tubes on sale for 60.00 bucks.. so i got one.. but what do i need to go with it? just the basic my not going to get to much in to it just yet..

from the fuzzyfisher-----------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Fins. You can put them on over an old pair of tennis shoes until you find out how much fun you are going to have owning a tube, then you'll want wading boots or shoes and you'll rig that poor thing to high heaven. Depth finder, Pole holder, lazer guided missles, on and on and on.

Oh, you might want some waders if you are fishing cold water. 3.5m.m. for summer and 6m.m. for colder times or high elevation lakes. I would suggest dry waders, but they are pretty pricey still.
[signature]
Don't forget the GPS to mark your favorite fishing areas or just put an X on the side of the tube. ha ha.

A DVD would be good for when the bite is slow as well. This is just an optional accessory.

Like it was mentioned, wader, wader boots and fins are a definate must. As TubeDude will suggest to all potential tubers, take your waders, shoes and what not with you to put them on under the fins that you are going to buy. It will make the difference between a nice trip or a nightmare on your feet. If the fins fit too tight it can be a painful situation after a short time on the water.
[signature]
Hey fuzzy I dare you to post this question on the Float Tube forum board. The link to it is:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81[/url];

You'll get enough information to last you for quite awhile. Seriously everyone over there,especially TubeDude, will have some great tips for ya.
[signature]
When you buy fins don't just buy the regular short black "tube fins" that most places sell. You can get some white Turbo Fins?? question on name for sure, for about $30 at Sportsmans or probably other places. They are longer and skinnier and are a great fin for $30. You can go for more expensive fins but these work awesome for me, especially for $30 and especially compared to the short black beaters.
[signature]
Don't forget the life preserver. Tubes are great and all but they can go flat. You might also want to put a tube of sun screen in the side pocket, sometimes the glare can tare you up. Have fun.
[signature]
I got two pairs of fins. If you plan on covering a lot of water fast use diving fins. You'll love them if you do a lot of stop and go type fishing. Normally I'll just use the shorter tube style for fly fishing. I like those because it doesn't take much effort to cover water and the speed they'll move the tube is perfect for long lining.

If you've got 3 to 5 bills to float buy some simms waders and you'll never buy a new pair again. They are perfect for any water temp with a extra layer of clothes. If you don't buy some neoprene and hope they last a year or two. It really depends on how much you fish and how well you take care of them.
[signature]
If you get a pair of waders, be sure to let them hang dry and then turn them inside out and hang dry again. I've been doing that and my cheep pair of browning waders lasted around 4-5 years. Definitaly get a pair of oversized sneakers, "flats booties" (neopreme sock with a tough plastic sole), or neopreme socks to put over your waders. That will help you from putting nice little holes in the bottoms of your waders.

Have lots of fun! I love to tube. I prefer it over wading rivers.
[signature]
Eat plenty of pork and beans beforehand, they [angelic] make good jet fuel for zipping across lakes...
[signature]
WELL IF YOU ARE LIKE ME, THE FIRST TIME THE WIND BLOWS YOU A HUNDRED MILES FROM YOUR CAR YOU WILL WANT TO GO BUY A TROLLING MOTOR TO PUT ON THAT BAD BOY. I HAVE A 22 THRUST LB MINNKOTA I USE, LECTRIC, WITH THE LITTLE PLOAT TUBE BEHIND IT...THE WHOLE SETUP ONLY RAN ME LIKE 150 BUCKS AND IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER BOUGHT BESIDES A WEDDING RING FOR MY WIFE. IM TELLIN YA...YOU ARE GONNA WANT IT IF YOU HIT ANY WATER BIGGER THAN WILLOW POND, OTHER WISE....BUT THE ANCHOR SETUP FOR FLOAT TUBES, ITS CHEAPER AND IT WILL ELIMINATE THE "WALK OF SINDY SHAME AND PAIN" AS WELL AS A MOTOR TO RETURN YOU TO YOUR SPOT. THE ROD HOLDER IS NICE TOO....MINE HOLDS MY FLY ROD OR MY SPINNING ROD OR MY BAITCASTER, IT WAS LIKE 24 BUCKS BUT IT HAS PROVEN TO BE WELL WORTH IT....MAKE SURE IF YOUR TUBE DOESNT HAVE ONE, YOU GET A STRIPPING SKIRT FOR THE FRONT OF IT, ITS THE NET SHELF KINDA THING THAT COVERS YOUR LAP WHILE YOU SIT IN THE TUBE, IT IS GREAT FOR LANDING FISH ON, SETTING A BOX ON WHILE YOU CHANGE LURES, AND KEEPING YOUR LINE FROM DRAGGIN IN THE WATER WHILE YOU FLY FISH. FINALLY I WILL ADD THIS, ANYTHING YOU TAKE ON THE TUBE, MAKE SURE IT IS LASHED ON OR HAS A FLOAT ON IT, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY BY DROPPING A NEW PAIR OF SHADES OFF MY SWEATY NOSE AND WATCHED THEM SLOWLY FLUTTER DOWN WITH WHAT SEEMED A LAUGHING SHIMMER TO THEM. THAT WAS 80 BUCKS THAT ALMOST MADE ME WITH I HADNT SPENT THE MONEY ON MY WIFES RING......SHE STILL GIVES ME A HARD TIME AFTER 3 YEARS.

LATERS,
[signature]
i has many tubes for bycycles
[signature]
Tubein on a Budget, now I can get behind that! Basics, A tube <g>, fins, waders,, pole, reel, tackle, sun glasses, and a hat. If you are planning on a day trip some fluids and maybe a snack.

I have read the post and have gone through my share of waders over the years. If you are buying breathables spend as much as you can afford. You will be better off in the long run. Now if you are buying neoprenes, just buy from a reputable company. I stay away from Hodgemans now. I bought a pr and they leaked within a month. They did excahnge them and the second and third pr did the same. But that is just my experence. My Cabelas have served me well and cost the same. As a matter of fact I just passed my old one down to FB2 as his hodgeman leak like and old Strawberry rental.

Once you try tubin fuzzy and get into some fish you may never want to fish another way again LOL. If you want to give it a try this weekend I will be at Deer Creek Sat. drop me a line if you would like to come along.
[signature]
thanks every one for the addvice!! i will get some fins i allready have some waders and all the other fun things we need for fishing..

thanks for the offer Road i would like to go out with someone that knows the ropes my first time or two.. but there is still ice on the lakes and as long as there is ice i will fish from a hole!! not sit in one..lol

from the fuzzyfisher------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
[cool][#800080][size 2]Now hang your new tube in the garage and go out and buy a pontoon boat.[Wink][/size][/#800080]
[signature]
oh yeah right tommy like miss fuzz will go for that!! she allready thinks i spend to much on my fishing stuf..

fish on dudes
[signature]