Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling Fish
How do you guys get all the great pictures of fish without dropping em all the time. Bass and cats you can grab by the lip but what about trout. Half the time I try to get a picture of a trout the slimy things squirm until I drop them or squeeze till there eyes almost pop out. neither of which is good if you are releasing them.

So is there any special way to grab or hold them so they quit squirming for there own good?
[signature]
It's not how you hold them, it's what you sing to them to calm them down.
[signature]
Try turning them upside down, they will quickly go limp and docile . Hold them in the palm of your hand for a few seconds unside down. Works for me.[Smile]
Good tip from fisherman. That same trick works well for me. They don't like being upside down.
[signature]
I usually threaten them and they just lay still. (I threaten to beat them senseless) LOL, I just do it very quickly and have someone else take the pictures.
[signature]
For me it's usually the "third time is a charm". I normally drop the fish a couple fo times before it calms down and I finally get a decent picture. Just make sure to show the side of the fish that didn't hit the ground.

Seriously, I do pick up most fish with my fingers around the pectoral fins (note the attached picture). I started doing this to avoid getting stuck by catfish, and noticed that trout don't seem to wiggle as much with my hand up there as they did with my hand on thier belly. Bass are the opposite; they seem to calm down when you cradle thier stomach. Pike don't seem to care, they just thrash until they decide they are done. Haven't handled a Muskie, so I don't know there.
[signature]
To each their own, but I use a shallow, soft mesh net to get them to my hand then I can unhook them in the net then grab them gently near the head and tail and they usually don't flip too much. I think the tail hold is the key since that is where their leverage is. In the attached photo you can see that I'm not squeezing this fish and he is calm for the photo which is typical and I only played him for maybe 60 seconds. Get the picture quickly then dump them back in the drink.
[signature]
i have two things that make my pics turn out. 1 i have someone else he picture, and 2 i do it quickly, wait til hes ready for the pic, then pick the fish up Smile get the picture and put him back into the water. work everytime. the whole thing should only take 4 seconds tops
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm surprised no one has suggested a lip gripping device. I've been using one since Berkley first came out with one that wasn't over $100. Now there are several different companies making them and even some incorparate scales in them. Nothing works better for controlling toothy fish. I've taken out a lot of guys fishing and everyone who first used one with me then has since bought one. They are that good.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like the lip gripper and use it on soft and hard water. Once you grab that bottom lip you have total control over the fish. This allows you to keep from disturbing their slim coat if you plan on releasing them. It also allows you to have control over a fish's head when removing hooks, even hooks taken deep and need finese to remove without tearing out sensitive gill tissue. It also helps to have long thin, needle nose pliers for added reach. Rapala makes a good set with forceps that work great that won't crush the pocket book.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you look at the pictures I post with fish in them you'll see a lip gripper in them. If the fish starts thrashing around, you have a good, solid grip on the lip gripper that will keep you from dropping the fish, potentially harming the fish if, again, you are planning on a catch, pic, and release.[/size][/font] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3158;]
[/center]
[signature]
Yes, those Berkley Big Game Lip Grippers work great (after seeing his in action I also had to immediately purchase my own), just wish I could catch more fish to use mine on. As BLM also mentioned, they also work great for getting a fish out of the ice hole.
[signature]