Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good day at Bear lake( report ) 03-12-04
Wiperslayer and I fished Bear lake today from 7am to 4:30pm. We saw BLM and met BiteMe there and talked to him several times through out the day, he had his snowmobile and was moving around, we were on foot, so we stayed in the same spot all day. It turned out to be a good thing for WS and I because we ended the day with 17 fish, most were cutts but we did catch a few nice macks. Attached is a couple of pictures of the biggest macks we caught and another nice picture to end a great day. WH2
[signature]
What area were you fishing in WH2? I am headed to the Bear tomorrow in search of the one that got away...
[signature]
Nice pic's.. Nice fish, good for you guy's.. I should be standing on the Gorge in the morning about 8am....
[signature]
We were in about 70 foot of water north of the 150 street of Garden city. When you come down the mountain and hit the first stop sign, turn left and you will see the 150 street about 100yds north on your right( I can't remember if it is 150 north or south but you won't have a problem seeing the street). Good luck and let us know how you do.

Coldfooter, good luck to you at the Gorge tomorrow. WH2
[signature]
Congrats you guys. Lakers through the ice; dowsn't get much more fun than that!

Curt, do you ever stop? I wish I got out half as much as you do. Are all of these pics from that same little digital you had around your neck out here on Starvation? If so, that thing takes some pretty nice pictures for a necklace![Tongue]
[signature]
Nice fish! Congrats on a good day up there. Did you get any pics of the cutts? How big were they?
[signature]
NIce fish. Glad to see you had a good time
Sounds like a great day!! Awesome pictures. Were you using tubes and cisco?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Enjoyed your post and pics WH2. Keep on teaching us ....[/size][/font]
[signature]
Chad, I like to get out and chase those fish at least once a week if I can, it doesn't always work out that way but that is what I try for. Yes, that little digital that I had when I was over there with you last time is the one I use for all my fishing pictures. It is only 1.3 pixels but it is just right for posting pictures on this site without cropping them in most cases and I only paid 80 bucks including shipping. For you guys that haven't seen my little camera, it is only one inch square and 3 & 3/8 inch long, just right for a necklace. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]THe ice on Bear Lake is GREAT! No worries about it degrading for a while. I would not be surprised if ice fishing will continue until the middle of April. I cut the middle out of my "mack hole" yesterday and I measured the ice thickness with a tape measure and it was all of 16". This is hard, clear, blue ice. The edges of the lake are also solid and no open water showing.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The snow on top of the ice has turned to slush and froze solid. It's about 2-3 inches thick on top of the ice. It will soften up as the sun beats on it but at first light it is SOLID! Those with snowmobiles may want to make sure you drag a foot to kick some snow on your tracks to keep them cool and lubed. Once the sun softens it up, you won't have to worry. 4 wheelers, even two wheel drives can go anywhere.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]WATCH OUT FOR OPEN WATER METHANE BUBBLERS AND SPRING HOLES! they are all over and you don't see them until you get close to them so keep an eye peeled.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]WH2 and Wiperslayer must of had the honeyhole because they caught twice they fish we did. I went with Biteme and we tried a few different depths trying to find more fish activity but didn't find anywhere that was producing the fish numbers that WH2 and Wiperslayer were seeing by staying in one place. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen the bigger fish coming through the ice like in years past. March fishing on Bear Lake can be frustrating and doesn't seem to produce the fish like January and February does but that doesn't mean you can't knock down some fish, hopefully a lunker or two, on a good day.[/size][/font]
[signature]
The cutts we caught were nice, (around 4 lbs) but not huge, we only took pictures of the macks. WH2
[signature]
Yes, we were using tube jigs and cisco but we were also using sucker meat. I'm almost out of sucker meat does anyone know where I can catch some more? WH2
[signature]
Nice pics wiperhunter2, all released or table fair?
[signature]
All were released.
[signature]
I was wondering if you kept or released. You are a true fisherman. To Bear lake mack: I personally beleive that the reason were not seeing as many big mack is the fact that alot are being kept. I personally release all fish caught unless I want dinner that night then I'll keep a couple of small cuts. Just a note: There are alot of taxidermist that can make a replica of a wallhanger with a picture and the Length, width, and size of the tail across. The only thing a taxidermist uses on a real fish is the skin anyway. Just keep catch and releasin its the way to go.[cool]
[signature]
Nice fish guys . I may try to get up there next friday if it is not all melted .
[signature]