Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bear river.
I went out to the bird refuge on sunday... fishing was very fun..... i caught 14 pre spawn carp... all had bright orange tails.one of the carp went 31inches long and weighed 26lbs..really fun.

but the downer of the trip was when i was in my canoe fishing the river, a truck pulled up and started honking at us.... they called the dwr... and the land managment police. the police guy gave me a ticket for tresspassing... the dwr said that it was bullcrap becuase i was in the river.. but the police said that since i had my canoe anchored agaist the bank, and i was touching their land,and was trespassing.. the dwr told me that it was stupid for me to get a ticket but ooh well... i now have to go to court. i now know not to touch anyones land.i also caught one 2lb channel my first of the year. i am headed out there today as well.

JOe
[signature]
Hey congrats on the fish Utcatman. Too bad about the ticket. That sounds like a load of crap to me, although technically they are right by the letter of the law, but you were obeying the spirit of it and I bet you can fight it in court and win. Good luck.
[signature]
[Wink]well at least your fishing trip was successful, but thats crap for them to give you a ticket, that dude needs a wake up call, like you were really hurting anything with your anchor out there...
[signature]
Bummer about the ticket! I live in Logan and bought a canoe at the end of last year. I've been wanting to take my wife to the canoe trail through a bird refuge I read about online, but the link to the map is no longer active. Is the refuge you're talking about Cutler reservoir? or somewhere else?

I tried to find the Bear River online, but I'm having a hard time finding maps online that show the names of rivers and small lakes. Does anyone know of any? Thanks.

Good luck fighting your ticket.
[signature]
Loren - there are a lot of great areas for paddling your canoe in and around Cutler reservoir. There is a marina out in Benson where a lot of people launch and one that is on the highway to Tremonton (2nd north going out of Logan to the west) which is on the Little Bear River. The bird refuge this guy is talking about is on the Brigham City side of the mountain, essentially where the Bear River dumps into the Great Salt Lake.

As for maps, I would go after the USGS topo sheets. I know you used to be able to get them at the USU bookstore, but it has been a while since I was in there. Also, I think the Trailhead downtown sells them as well.
[signature]
Thanks fishdude. I'll try canoeing Cutler sometime soon - it sounds like fun. Does anyone know what fish if any are in Cutler?
[signature]
Man, that's one huge carp!!! Too bad about the ticket. You'll probly be able to fight it, though.
[signature]
Cutler is mainly a warmwater reservoir, so there are mudcats, channelcats, carp and largemouth bass. I am not sure but probably some perch, crappie, and bluegill. I don't think you will find many trout except higher up in the rivers before they dump into Cutler. I have always wanted to take the boat and explore the confluence of the Logan and Little Bear rivers around Mendon. Last year my son and I put the boat in at the marina by the Cache Junction bridge and explored the reservoir to Cutler dam. The fish finder showed lots of fish, but we never caught any. The water was about 20 feet deep, and several boats were fishing, but not much luck that day. It goes back in there for miles. I live in Tremonton and quite often I am looking for a fishing partner if you are interested sometime. Acey
[signature]
I fished cutler last year. Really shallow all mud bottom, could find any bass or good bass habitat, lots of bullheads, the most carp I have ever seen at least saw 2 to 3 thousand in the 4 hours I was there, bow fishers paradise.
[signature]
Heres the thing, even if you dont anchor up on the bank, how are you going to get your canoe in without tresspassing?

Last I was out there, they fenced off the only place a guy could get a boat in the water near the road.

So they will likey just re-ticket you for trespassing.

Stupidest law in the world has to be the utah tresspass laws concerning rivers.
[signature]
there are two spots to launch out at the refuge. one is about halfway out to the end and it is marked "public fishing area" and the other is out by the diversion dam. that is where the dwr told me to launch. but the one out by the dam isnt very good for fishing. or i could always launch out at corrine but that is too far and i dont like to fish out there.

JOe
[signature]
Hey Loren, there are also some nice walleye in cutler res. My dad lives on the Bear River in Benson and has caught several in the 6-8 lbs range.
[signature]
Is it true about the walley below cutler.... heard reports last year of poeple catching walleye a 1/4 mile bolow the dam... is it true?
[signature]
what??? northern PIke? are u sure.... i have never heard that.... pike in the bear river... hmmmm time for some research...

JOe
[signature]
Yup, Pike. Neighbor caught one up by the Idaho border. I've heard of others, but no clue where they caught them.
[signature]
I have only hiked into Cutler dam from the downstream Beaver Dam side once and years ago. The dam is about a quarter mile east of where you can park the car along the canal on the east side of the river. Utah Power has the gate locked and No Trespasing signs up to keep people out of their property. I got permission from one of the guys who works at the powerplant to go in and fish. There was a huge fish chasing minnows in the spillway pond, but I couldn't catch it or get close enough to it to tell what it was. I assume a bass or walleye. Most of the fishing is done about one quarter mile below the dam where the water from the powerplant comes back into the river channel and downstream from there. I have heard stories of walleye being caught there, but I don't know what size or how. Acey
[signature]