Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open water?
has anyone ran into some open water down at otter creek, flaming gorge, or any place else? i am mainly interested in trout. i only have a few more weeks before i leave for two years on my mission and i am lookin for some open trout water.

thanks

jr8fish
[signature]
what no responses?
[signature]
you could always go to deer creek... there are some nice trout in there and i have heard that they are catching them in the open water.

JOe
[signature]
jr8fish,

I don't know what to tell you. Last Saturday I drove by several lakes and all were mostly or completely frozen over. However, I did not fish any of them .

I drove by Deer Creek and the dam end was completely frozen. On the other end there was some open water between the island and the inlet of the Provo River. There was also some open water in the very end of Wallsburg Bay near the inlet there. Several people were fishing. Actually looked a little crowded. I have not heard any good reports yet from Deer Creek. I used to fish Deer Creek a lot and my experience is that the water needs to warm up a bit before the fish really start to bite good there. I think cat_man reported that there were big cracks in the ice near the dam later that day.

The view from Highway 40 showed Jordanelle was completely frozen. I saw no open water at all except in a little tiny bay near Highway 40. People were there fishing. The ice looked pretty solid to me but I hear someone fell through and had to be rescued.

Echo was still mostly frozen. There was some open water where the Weber River dumps in but it looked very shallow with poor access. The ice is pulling away from the edges a little but I would not say that is was fishable. I would not go on the ice there.

East Canyon was still completely frozen except for a very small area at the very end of the east arm where that small stream enters. People were there but they looked more like they were throwing rocks rather than fishing. On the south end where the main river flows in there was an open patch about 100 yards in diameter. That might be fishable but that end tends to be shallow unless you can locate the channel. I saw signs in the snow that someone or something has walked down to the water's edge. No sign of extended fishing activity. Lot of waterfowl in the water.

I did fish the Provo River below Olmstead that morning. I caught 2 browns on worms and missed a couple of others. I also fished the flies-only section of the Weber between Echo and Rockport. I caught nothing there. I wished I had dropped down to the state park marina on Utah Lake instead of trying the Weber.

Not too much good news about trout but that is what I know. Maybe it helps know where not to go.

m
[signature]