Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonar for toon
[crazy]ok guys, I just bought a new toon and I want to put some sonar on it, now I already own a flasher unit for ice fishing, can that be used on a toon or should I invest in another type of fish finder?

Any suggestions??[crazy]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, flashers work fine for 'toonin'. If you already know how to read them and are comfortable using one, then there is no need to change.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The one thought I might offer is that a good sonar that has a grey scale definition of bottom contours and composition can be handy...especially if you look for breaklines and changes in bottom hardness. It will also do a better job of showing trees and other structure, which is hard to read on a flasher.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Some sonars also have a wider cone angle than the flashers too. That can be especially helpful in shallower water. Otherwise, you are only seeing a very small window of what is below you.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The big advantage of a good flasher, like the Vexilar, is that it will help you see your jig (with proper placement of the transducer) when you are vertical jigging over identified fish targets.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are positives and negative of all units. But, if you like the flasher and don't want or need to buy something else, then just figure out a way to mount it on your new craft and go for it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I am really familier with my vexilar, but I think I need more bottom contrast, but I dont want to spend alot on it either, so I will start looking for different models in different price ranges.. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]If you wanna stay within a reasonable budget, and get a good unit with grayscale, temp readings and a cone angle of 20 to 60 degrees, take a look at the Eagle Cuda 168. Barely over a hundred dollars, and you can run it all day off a 6 amp gel cell battery. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have been using one for about a year on my float tube and it gives me all I need. If I was fishing deep water for bottom hugging macks, I would want more power and pixels, but for shallow water and most fishing applications it does fine.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There should be several posts back through the archives if you wanna subject yourself to some grief.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
is this the Model you were talking about? it looks good to me, I dont know how many Macks I will be trying to get on the toon but I will be fishing for eyes and bass with it, as well as drifting for trout.. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]That looks like the extra wide model. It is a few dollars more, but has a wider screen. Otherwise the bells and whistles are about the same.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The skimmer transducer is easy to mount on a 1/2 inch PVC pipe, and can be quickly installed or taken down when launching or beaching.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks for the info, I also like the way you incorperated the transducer holder into the rack. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]That's the way I have done it for several years. However, my latest method is to mount the PVC transducer shaft separately, using plain old stretch cord. Snap it on before you go out, and off when you come in. And, it's universal...fits all sizes.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You can also use it, to a limited extent, as a searcher for the terrain around you, by moving the transducer. Kind of a point and shoot thing. Not as good as straight down, and you have to learn how to read it that way...and not move it too much.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink]now that a lightweight idea,,, [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Who are you calling a "lightweight"? I'll have you know that I am 6'3" and weigh two hundred and plenty pounds.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I fish out of a toon and use the Cuda 128. I'll try to get some pics of how I mount it this weekend. I use the frame of my toon alot for rod mounts and transducer mounts.
[signature]
I too think it would be a good idea to get a sonar unit. I think you can get one for around $100 that will suit your needs just fine. Like TubeDude mentioned, look back through the archives and you will see some nice setups for both toons and tubes. Once you get one mounted, you'll be glad you put it on.
[signature]
[cool][#804040][size 2]As previously posted I have the Cuda 168EX. Got it on-line from Wally's World for around $120+. Have it mounted on my Fat Cat incorporating the transducer rod with my pole holder.[/size][/#804040]
[signature]
[Wink]Hey guiys thanks for the info, I will start looking into the Cuda and other brands, guess I need a decent one to show grey line. now how the heck to mount it.. well guess thats half the fun isnt it..[cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Whatever system you decide upon, based on what you want it to do for you, there will be a way to get it hooked up. Most sonars come with a mounting base that you attach to your craft more or less permanently. Then, you simply loosen or tighten the mounting hardware to set it up or remove it after an outing. Once you decide where you want it located, then you get creative with a piece of wood or some PVC. Lotsa tricks to it.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]That's the easy part. First you gotta make a decision about what kind you want.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink]Thanks, now all I have to do is take into consideration cost, ability, and quality, then the fun begins on how to attatch it and where the best location will be as well as the power location or extra battery etc, guess i need to do some serious shopping now... [Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for the info, but I heard they arent that good for deep water or definition? am I wrong on this? [unsure]
[signature]
I have the Bottomline Tournament 1100 model. It seems to do well for seeing structure and defining the drops and slopes. It has a 15 degree reading on it and does fine for what I need it for. It also helps you to identify the thermoclines where the fish are hanging out at.

The built in water temp is a must and very handy.
[signature]
[Wink]Hey I looked at that one thru Cabelas, thats a sweet little unit, and the cost is in the right ball park, $69.. that aint bad. [cool]
[signature]
How sweet it is. I got it at a local fishing and sports store on special minus my regular good boy discount. It came out to around 35 bucks when I bought it around 6months ago. I really works good and doesn't eat your battery up too fast either.

I can fish with it on for around 9 hrs and the built in voltage meter changes only from 12.7v to 12.5 in that time period.
[signature]